Surf-Psychedelia mix

charlescarpatio

Hi all,

I have this track I worked on last year and finished recently but I listened to it so much that I cannot really tell if I did a decent job.

Also I have been working with electronic music recently which made me put some more synthetic drums on it to fit my recent vibe, but I do not know if that was a good decision.

Any feedback would be welcome, also if anyone would be interested in making new drums as a collab it would be amazing.

Thanks.

Attachments

• surfing law new2.mp3
    8 MB
Hey what's up dude.

I like the chord progression. The chord progression sounds authentic surf rock. The guitar tones are decent.

The drums flat out don't work IMO. Your ears have probably regularized it by now but for me it was an unpleasant shock to the system. It's all 80s synth - sounds like the drums from shock the monkey or the Eurythmics or something.

I just have a hard time hearing surf rock with anything other than old school drum sound. I just don't think this is a good fusion.

Hope this helps!

BTW if you want I'll lay down a live drum track on this. It won't be tighter than the computer drums, but it will sound more musical.

Hey what's up dude.

I like the chord progression. The chord progression sounds authentic surf rock. The guitar tones are decent.

The drums flat out don't work IMO. Your ears have probably regularized it by now but for me it was an unpleasant shock to the system. It's all 80s synth - sounds like the drums from shock the monkey or the Eurythmics or something.

I just have a hard time hearing surf rock with anything other than old school drum sound. I just don't think this is a good fusion.

Hope this helps!

Hey man, thanks a lot for the feedback, the guitar was recorded with a marshall code 25 a sm57 and a senheiser mk4, now i gave up on trying to record guitars properly because of lack of time and a descent amp, been getting better results straight to the sound card and plugins.

I was trying to see if I could do a better job, I originally did the track with a vanilla more organic drum set, but I agree with you, nothing beat a old school drum with some reverb and compression. (here the old drums).

BTW if you want I'll lay down a live drum track on this. It won't be tighter than the computer drums, but it will sound more musical.

That would be amazing, I'll try to post the drumless track tonight or tomorrow when I'm home, did you like the submarine sample sounds or you want it without those also?

Attachments

• surfing law (1).mp3
    7.9 MB
It's pretty cool. I like it. The unlikely combination of the surf guitar and casio drums is quite trippy. Nice job

Back