Stupid question #102

I am assuming you are using a mason bit and a hammer drill? I tried drilling once with just a regular drill, took forever. I later learned in Germany why everyone has a hammer drill, much easier with concrete.

Ah, so your tube is going outside? Don't forget to put in a 'drip bend' You make a down elbow with a hole in the very bottom of the U to allow watwer to drian out. or, if just goint up. use a T piece and leave the 'down' pipe open.

Applies to cables as well e.g. an aerial downlead going into a window or wall, otherwise water 'wicks' along the cable and ruins your carpet!

Dave.
I will be going through with PVC every inch of the way, it will only be a few inches not underground, no exposed wires, THHN wiring.. The hole is about three inches above ground level.

Attachments

• 2023-12-15_08-35-45.jpg
    2023-12-15_08-35-45.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 2023-12-15_07-11-54.jpg
    2023-12-15_07-11-54.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I am assuming you are using a mason bit and a hammer drill? I tried drilling once with just a regular drill, took forever. I later learned in Germany why everyone has a hammer drill, much easier with concrete.
I don't have a hammer drill and not about to buy one. I am using mansonry bits and a big vintage American drill. See photo above. I checked from the corner of the house and yes, on the outside there is solid 4" thick blocks on their side with what must be your standard block behind it.

Nice liooking hole.
You can buy extra-long drill bits just for this job. I have a thick long one, and a thin long one.
You also need a serious hammer drill. I killed a cheap drill, trying to do this stuff.
My drum room is in the garage, and my guitar and keyboards room is within the dining room.
I joined them together, with a 28 channel analogue snake cable, which needed to get through a wall just like this.
I bought a core-bit, about 2 inches diameter, which then has a long shaft.
I also bought a bigger hammer drill for the job.
It was hard going.
I first made a small hole, all the way through, with the 'thin long' masonry bit.
Then that hole provided a centre for the core-bit.
I never got the core-bit all the way through both blocks.
Fortunately, I was having a new boiler installed at that time, and the guy had to drill a similar hole through that piece of wall.
He had a monster professional drill, which did the job in no time.
He kindly drilled a second hole for my fat cable.
I still have my fancy drill bits.

Nothing is going to kill that old vintage Milwaukee drill. It is as big as a baby and weighs about what i do. I don't need a hammer drill.
Right but, the hammer action REALLY gets you through brick and concrete. Even a smallish battery drill with HA will drill a brick but stand no chance without it. I think you can get a "hammer chuck" that you attach to a drill? Add that to your baby and you could get through to Ozz!

Dave.

Right but, the hammer action REALLY gets you through brick and concrete. Even a smallish battery drill with HA will drill a brick but stand no chance without it. I think you can get a "hammer chuck" that you attach to a drill? Add that to your baby and you could get through to Ozz!

Dave.
I am already through over 6 inches with no problem, why would I spend money on another drill motor? The only problem is I need a longer drill bit. That will be solved today.

Nopthing like not having the right tools! You can drill a hole in blocks with a huge bit in a proper SDS drill with no effort bar holding the thing in a few seconds. A battery powered hammer drill with masonary bit in a few minutes or a non hammer drill in the time to go a bit greyer, possible ruin the bearings and make a hell of a noise for a long time. You'd probably go quicker with the bit in a mole grip and beating the end with a hammer!

In this day of power tools, you must know somebody with a deWalt or Milwaukee. Seriously though - remember masonary bits are designed to punch, then clear the waste, punch and clear. Using them in non hammer drills heats the flanges with friction and they melt away. The hammer action and bit are linked. You don't drill block, you chisel it!

Nopthing like not having the right tools! You can drill a hole in blocks with a huge bit in a proper SDS drill with no effort bar holding the thing in a few seconds. A battery powered hammer drill with masonary bit in a few minutes or a non hammer drill in the time to go a bit greyer, possible ruin the bearings and make a hell of a noise for a long time. You'd probably go quicker with the bit in a mole grip and beating the end with a hammer!

In this day of power tools, you must know somebody with a deWalt or Milwaukee. Seriously though - remember masonary bits are designed to punch, then clear the waste, punch and clear. Using them in non hammer drills heats the flanges with friction and they melt away. The hammer action and bit are linked. You don't drill block, you chisel it!
I have more time than money at that moment. I know how to sharpen drill bits by hand, including carbide, been doing it for over fifty years. Doesn't matter what drill I use if the bit won't reach. I know no one here, I am a loner, always have been and I am not about to go out and spend money on a drill motor that I don't need and will probably only use once. It took me about 15 minutes to get through 6 inches of block, I can live with that.

You guys can feel free to buy a hammer drill and send it to me. Thank you.
Ektuuuually! I did not suggest you buy a whole new drill sunshine! I said I thought you could buy a hammer attachment. Anyway, 15minutes to go 6 inches? I reckon a steel spike in an impact tool and a *****ing great lump hammer would be quicker!

Dave.

Ektuuuually! I did not suggest you buy a whole new drill sunshine! I said I thought you could buy a hammer attachment. Anyway, 15minutes to go 6 inches? I reckon a steel spike in an impact tool and a *****ing great lump hammer would be quicker!

Dave.
I am sure it would be but what is it that you don't understand when I write I have more time than money? I don't care if it takes me longer. You can buy the attachment and send it to me if you like and it makes you feel better lol. People tell me I should buy a wood splitter. I prefer to split it with a maul, I enjoy doing it and I need the exercise. I know it is faster and easier but I don't care.

Don't know why but "Hooper" makes me think Dutch?

Dave.
My Grandfather was Hooper, my grandmother MacDonald. She was born in Canada. My other grand parents were my grand dad Dragunas and Grandma Jeckylowsovitch. I can't get any further back on their side but I think I found them on a ship registry site and that they left Marseille on the ship Rotterdam in 1903 to Ellis Island where the name was shortened to Dragun. I visited my grand dads grave once with my dad as a little kid and remember the headstone had the original Dragunas. How they got from Lithuania (Russia at that time) to France I have no clue. On my fathers side I never saw a picture of his dad until about ten years ago on a passport for a return visit home. I have never seen a picture of my dads mom. I was the youngest and they had all long passed by the time I was born except for granny MacDonald who departed when I was two. So, I never knew any of them except what I was told which wasn't that much. I found out more later from a search my niece did, like my grand dads passport photo. I have traced them through census records up until 1940?

Last edited:
Yorkshire men are notoriously tight with money, along with Scots and Jews. The 'MacDonald' might be responsible.
I was born in Yorkshire.
One of my ancestral relatives went to America, and made it big in Providence, Rhode Island.
One Charles Fletcher. He is in the Providence history books.

Yorkshire men are notoriously tight with money, along with Scots and Jews. The 'MacDonald' might be responsible.
I was born in Yorkshire.
One of my ancestral relatives went to America, and made it big in Providence, Rhode Island.
One Charles Fletcher. He is in the Providence history books.
On my fathers side they opened a bar. When prohibition came along they went into bootlegging and a speakeasy.
This is dedicated to them.

So you can buy a drill bit extender to get to the other side. They come in different lengths and have a set screw that holds the bit.
For certain the hammer drills make the job go a LOT faster but back in the day I drilled a lot of concrete with just a standard drill...You just have one hole and you're already most of the way through...hopefully. You could just rent the longer bit and hammer drill at Home Depot probably and be done with it in minutes. Good luck dude.

Back