Stupid question #102

More like Bogart in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. A desperate man chasing the change in the now.
1703193240586.png

• Haha
Reactions: TAE
The long drill arrived. It took me about five minutes of drilling time to finish the through hole from the outside and come inside and open it up to 1 inch. I am glad I didn't run out and buy that hammer drill!

I want to put the PVC through the wall. The outside diameter of 1/2 inch PVC is 5/8, almost to the thousandth of an inch. I would prefer to use three quarter PVC whose outside dimension is 1.050. I have a 5/8 and 1" masonry bit. I was thinking of drilling it 5/8 and measuring the hole with calipers and if it cuts over .050 oversize then I could step it up to the 1" drill and opening the hole up to accept the 3/4 inch PVC. If not, I could just leave it at 5/8 and get the 1/2 PVC through. I am going to have to run 6 THHN wires through and 3/4 would be much easier. I have never had to drill a hole in concrete that had to be a certain size. If I drill with the 1" drill and the 3/4 PVC won't go through, is there a way to open the hole another 1/16 of an inch. If it were metal I would just use a file. I highly doubt the block is filled with concrete. The whole 1400 sq ft basement is at least 12 cinderblocks high, that would have cost a bit of money. I will find out when I go at it. What am i thinking, all need to do is grind,sand or, turn, off .025 per side of the PVC to bring it down to 1" or less. Thats the ticket!
Thanx
If it is a cinder block footing or wall , it may not be poured solid. Strike the web of the block with a hammer a couple of time and you will have a hole repeat for the other side. Personally I wouldn’t waste the time it takes to get out an extension cord and hammer drill, unless it is in an area that would be seen. Just no need for it. If it is a footing wall, or a parameter basement wall that has been water proofed, you will need to take steps to keep it that way

If it is a cinder block footing or wall , it may not be poured solid. Strike the web of the block with a hammer a couple of time and you will have a hole repeat for the other side. Personally I wouldn’t waste the time it takes to get out an extension cord and hammer drill, unless it is in an area that would be seen. Just no need for it. If it is a footing wall, or a parameter basement wall that has been water proofed, you will need to take steps to keep it that way
Hey thanks for showing up.

lol 😉

Merry Christmas!

Back