Studio Projects And Its Entry To 8 Channels

Bobalou

looks like SP has its new 8 channel Pre. hopefully we can get some reviews here... New Burr-brown chip, so it must be very clean?
http://www.studioprojects.com/sp828.html

I'm already looking at a few of these mainly for drums:

there's the new M-Audio Octane 8 w/converters based on the DMP-3 .... http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=fb3e9310bc0341f272b3b31d2cbf4e97

the new Mackie Onyx 800R w/conversion....http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Mackie/PR/Onyx-800R.html

Presonus has this new piece as well, though a bit different in its application....http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1292 and of course their Digimax line.

quite a few more options these days!

Last edited:
Anyone from Studio Projects want to chime in on the flavor of these pre's and when we might here some reveiws?

Looks pretty sweet.... if its on par with the Sytek and hits the street around $650, that'll totally rock. I would buy one in that case for sure.

Hey Allen... how about a nice, properly done high quality line mixer/summing buss, 8 or 16 channels, soon? :)

tubedude said:
Looks pretty sweet.... if its on par with the Sytek and hits the street around $650, that'll totally rock.

I'm sure it will be a decent enough pre at a good value, but you might be stretching things a little, there. :D Reality check time. It sounds like a very basic budget-level mic pre built around a Texas Instruments INA-117 chip. Nothing to get too crazy over.

A quote from Alan Hyatt last week...................

"Here is what is coming on the SP828

The new Studio Projects 828 is an 8 Channel mic preamp incorporating the latest rev of Burr Brown IC's. The SP828 is also an 8X2 mixer that allows a real time mix of all 8 inputs two a stereo out buss. Housed in a 1U 19" rack, each channel on the SP828 offers:
*48V phantom power with LED
*Phase Reverse with LED
*Mic/Line Switch with LED - Defaults to 20dB Pad
*Peak and Signal Present Indicators
*Gain Control
*Level & Pan
*Solo Switch with LED

The SM828 has individual outputs on each channel via balanced 1/4" jacks for direct feeds to any recording medium. Both line level inputs on 1/4" balanced jacks, and XLR balanced mic inputs are on the rear panel. When nothing is plugged into the line input of any channel, the mic/line switch of that channel defaults to a 20dB pad switch.

The output section has a stereo L/R output control and a headphone input with control for real time monitoring. In addition, there are L/R LED meters and a Solo LED for monitoring. The master section output has L/R outputs on 1/4" balanced jacks, and inserts for the L/R buss. There is a summed mono 1/4" output jack for an external feed.

Each unit has an expansion in/out jack to allow for cascading several units together to get up to 32 inputs where all 32 inputs buss to the L/R mix out, while offering 32 direct outputs for remote recording. The new SP828 incorporates an external power supply for clean operation.

The SP828 will be shipping in May of 2004. Suggested list price is targeted at $799.99"

:cool:

DJL said:
Is the SP828 in the same class as the Nady PRA-8 preamp?

Why, dude? Why the fuck? Damn, get over yourself and this stupid trolling. You are a troll, plain and simple, its time to stop now. Please.

tubedude said:
Why, dude? Why the fuck? Damn, get over yourself and this stupid trolling. You are a troll, plain and simple, its time to stop now. Please.
Hey tubedude, what the fuck is your problem? The Nady PRA-8 has 8 totally independent world-class preamps in a single rackspace unit, with servo-balanced XLR inputs and 1/4" TS outputs for each preamp. It features the highest-quality components, advanced design, and high-bandwidth operational amps for crystal clear audio and exceptionally low noise and distortion. Each channel has its own gain control, peak LED indicator, and phantom power with on/off switch and LED power-on indicator. Rugged construction for maximum long-term reliability.

Features:

8 totally independent world-class preamps in a single rackspace
Servo-balanced XLR inputs and 1/4" TS outputs for each preamp
Highest-quality components, advanced design, high bandwidth operational amps for crystal clear audio, exceptionally low noise and distortion
Gain control on each channel
Peak LED indicator for each channel
Phantom power with individual on/off switches for each channel and LED power-on indicator
Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz
S/N ratio: better than 80dB
Distortion: 0.02%

I don't see anything at all wrong with the question.

It's a totally legit one to pose. For someone out there who doesn't necessarily need all of the mixer functions and all they need is 8 preamps, who's to say that they wouldn't be better off with something that has fewer features like the Nady and save some money?

Obviously, to some people having the mixer functions is a big bonus . . . but what about the other guys? I mean is having the mixer that important to some of the guys who either already have a traditional board -- or who do everything in the software domain anyway?

What's wrong with that question, Tube?

Re: DJL's question...I think it's pretty darn insulting.

"So, is your 800 dollar/street 600 buck pre in the same class as this pre that streets at 100 bucks?"

Having done the waiter bit, I remember one occasion where I had to do damage control on an upset head chef, angered that his gourmet Italian cuisine was being compared to the local chain restaurant. I almost condoned him physically throwing the guy out the front door.

Almost.

Also, I actually tried one out and was appalled at the lack of usable gain. Once it got past the halfway point on the knob, hiss city. The Behringer mixer I use for my synths has better pres. Other comments say similarly...

Sklathill said:
"So, is your 800 dollar/street 600 buck pre in the same class as this pre that streets at 100 bucks?"

I think that's kinda' what DJL was asking.

Are you saying the more expensive one is automatically the better one? How do we know? On paper, there doesn't appear to be anything that really stands out about it other than it's features . . . so I think DJL is trying to dig around and find out more info about the preamp section of it to see if there's anything special to warrant the higher price tag. I would doubt there is. It appears to be based on a chip -- and the same one as every other budget pre out there at that.

Now what I'd really like to know is if there's anything to justify buying it over a decent mixer like a Soundcraft M8 . For basically the same price, you could have an actual mixer with real faders and some pretty decent EQ to boot. I don't get who/what PMI is trying to compete with.

DJL said:
Hey tubedude, what the fuck is your problem? The Nady PRA-8 has 8 totally independent world-class preamps in a single rackspace unit, with servo-balanced XLR inputs and 1/4" TS outputs for each preamp. It features the highest-quality components, advanced design, and high-bandwidth operational amps for crystal clear audio and exceptionally low noise and distortion. Each channel has its own gain control, peak LED indicator, and phantom power with on/off switch and LED power-on indicator. Rugged construction for maximum long-term reliability.

Features:

8 totally independent world-class preamps in a single rackspace
Servo-balanced XLR inputs and 1/4" TS outputs for each preamp
Highest-quality components, advanced design, high bandwidth operational amps for crystal clear audio, exceptionally low noise and distortion
Gain control on each channel
Peak LED indicator for each channel
Phantom power with individual on/off switches for each channel and LED power-on indicator
Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz
S/N ratio: better than 80dB
Distortion: 0.02%

AND it is a world-class 8 channel pre for only $100!! I am selling my Avalon M5 immediately and get 4 of them to replace the 32 channels on my Allen and Heath console! I will even have $$ left over for the beer and pizza.

chessrock said:

Are you saying the more expensive one is automatically the better one? How do we know? On paper, there doesn't appear to be anything that really stands out about it other than it's features . . . so I think DJL is trying to dig around and find out more info about the preamp section of it to see if there's anything special to warrant the higher price tag. I would doubt there is. It appears to be based on a chip -- and the same one as every other budget pre out there at that.

Now what I'd really like to know is if there's anything to justify buying it over a decent mixer like a Soundcraft M8 . For basically the same price, you could have an actual mixer with real faders and some pretty decent EQ to boot. I don't get who/what PMI is trying to compete with.

I think PMI is targeting the DAW market. Most of the people out there are trying to upgrade the existing pre-s on the mixer they already have. Maybe they are smart for getting into the DAW market so soon, maybe they made a big mistake, it remains to be seen. Alan usually has a good "ear" to the street and knows his market well, so whatever the target I bet it will be popular.

acorec said:
Most of the people out there are trying to upgrade the existing pre-s on the mixer they already have.

This is kind of what I thought, too. Which is why I don't really get this product. It seems to be a bunch of pres with a built-in mixer and summing. Why the need for the mixer if most people are just trying to upgrade the pres on their existing mixer? And if you need the mixer section, why not just get a mixer? :D It just seems like most people will be paying for extra features they don't need.

I get what you (chessrock) mean but...hrm...

Well, say I have this for the front end of my Delta 1010. Then I could also bring this out and record to my DAT...maybe? Yeah, i see your point. I don't think the Soundcraft has direct outs on the pres, though. Maybe they just added the 2 out mixer to help it in the features category against the M-audio 8 channel preamp and others that are coming out? I wouldn't be surprised, since it wouldn't be the only last-minute-ish type thing they did. It was supposed to be a Joe Meek, and at what is almost the last minute they decided it should probably be an SP instead.

I'm guessing with their marketing copy touting "latest revision Burr Brown ICs" they want to give people images of a Grace 801 or something... (of course, we all know that bad design can make a decent chip sound bad...)

I'm guessing that this will be an alternative to guys that want 2 or more DMP3s or an RNP or 2? (That is, if it proves itself against them...)

When it comes out, I'm going to do some furious testing of these sub-1000 dollar 8 channel preamps to find a replacement and upgrade for my MP20...

Sklathill said:
I'm guessing with their marketing copy touting "latest revision Burr Brown ICs" they want to give people images of a Grace 801 or something... (of course, we all know that bad design can make a decent chip sound bad...)

If I remember correctly, Alan said it was an INA217 that it uses. The one that Texas Instruments is well-noted for is the 163 (used in the Grace Design, DMP3, etc.).

chessrock said:

Exactly. After all, I think the PRA-8 and SP828 are both just based on a chip.

Back