Studio desk layout...?

Hello,

I'm planning/considering to build my own studio desk. I've searched this forum as well as the net itself for inspiration, as well as going thru what the local music stores have up for sale... Now I would like to hear all your experiences when it comes to the layout.

I think I will go for a straight desk, but if someone could convince me to have an L-shaped, V-shaped or U-shaped please let me hear you arguments.

I shall have a desk where I can have my computer, my Axiom Air 61, my 2 Adam A7X:s, my Mackie 1640 FW mixer (gen 1), my Focusrite 18i8.

Since I would like if possible to have everything in an arms reach (or two) and smart placed ince from an ergonomical point of view, I now try to sketch on different layouts. It is in that process, I know would be very pleased to hear all your experiences, what is good, better, worse, common misstake etc...

Yours

BabyBottle

Well, when working I worked with both a V configuration (well V with a small flat bit in the middle) and several straight ones.

The V was probably more ergonomic and comfortable for a long day sitting there; the straight lent itself to easy re-arrangements as gear came and went.

Probably more important than the shape of the desk is the height (to avoid carpal tunnel/RSI type problems) and the distance and eyelines to your computer monitors. The position of your monitor speakers is also important.

Having said all that, I presently use an old kitchen table with my mixer at one end and computer and monitors in the middle. I really must get around to building something but my wife is demanding the long-promised coffee table first.

I use a straight setup, but my keyboard is standalone on my right so I can just reach over and play. Guitars hang on the walls and the drums are behind me. Takes less than a minute to change instruments. Good for work flow.

Just a suggestion. Build your desktop at the level you want your primary monitor. Build a riser (or one on each side) to get your Adams at ear level and build a rack into it (or them) to house your 18i8 and any outboard gear you have (or get in the future). If you build it as a shelf, you can get a second monitor above the one on the desktop for better workflow (I did and it's wonderful). Put the less used portions of your workflow up there where you don't have to look up all the time. Don't know how you like your keyboard, but a lot of people want it between them and the monitor, and that's a pretty nice workflow arrangement as well. Possibly build an L on one side or the other for your mixer (whichever side you prefer).

Send pics when you get er done. :D

I suppose the first thing you have to consider when building a desk is the space it is going to take up in the room and what the desk is required to house, equipment wise. My only advice is plan everything ahead.

I moved house last year and built a desk for myself but only have a a 9' x 9' room so a V shape wasn't really viable as it would take up too much space. L shaped suggests corner desk to me and while a corner desk would suit me space wise, monitors in corners are a no-no for sound.

I opted for a straight desk. 6ft (L) x 2½ft (W) 31" (H). I have no rack gear as yet but I purposely made the cabinets at the sides to fit 19" rack gear for future use. I have a shelf on the top of the desk (6") to bring my PC Monitors up to eye level so no neck strain having to look up or down. I didn't need shelves for my Monitors/Speakers as they are large hi:fi speakers and sitting on the desktop are in perfect ear level. Everything was measured from my position on my chair. Eye line, ear level, knees for the rolling desk for keyboard, mouse.

Here's what mine looks like. A very simple build but it works very well. It also only has 16 screws holding the thing together so disassembling and moving is very easy if needed and should I want to add to it or modify it, it's a simple affair.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Good luck with yours and don't forget to share the pictures. :thumbs up:

Definitely consider how you will be using the desk most often. For someo people, the computer keyboard is a secondary thing, only used part time, so can be easily housed in a sliding drawer beneath the main desktop, like Mr Clean's design above. For me, I use the computer for all my at-home computer work, too, includng photo and video editing, so I want my keyboard at a comfortable height for typing (too high and you'll make carpal tunnel worse), so I made my desk height with that in mind, and put the video monitor on a small riser. My Casio workstation keyboard is on its own stand behind me. I don't record with it that much, so I just run the audio cables around to the interface when needed (or USB MIDI direct to computer).
In this picture, you can see the basic design, what you don't see is the foam edge since added around the rim - protects my arms and guitars from accidents!
studio2-2014.JPG

A really huge thanks for all your replies!!

Well, don't Think for a minute that I would such a fundamentally important audio part as the lava lamp. Selecting the colour would be the hardest part of all. ;)

When it comes to the shape shape, my first thought were to go with the straight shape. I started of with a thought that I might find something at Snygga moderna möbler, vitrinskåp, bokhyllor - Möbelgrossen that I could use, two drawers of some kind, on top of which I could place a kitchen countertop.

Then I left that idea and realised that I most likely would need to design and build everything from scratch. I also left the straight shape in favor of the L-shape but I'm now moving back to favoring the straight shape.

I have made some basic sketches, not that they are Beautiful in any way :laughings: but nothing is decided at this point, nor do I have a time schedule for it since the design is far from decided. That's why I wanted to listen to your experience, and hopefully even be able to avoid any simple common misstakes that your done or (preferably) only Heard others do...

I will figure out a design that will be able to disassemble. That is an important thing. The thing is only that any furniture, that can be disassembled will as I see it be a lot more wobbling (correct word?), any way, not as stable as a piece of fixed funiture.

A sliding drawer beneath the main desktop is also highly possible but preferably for the midi controller, and then it feels like the desk might end up to high... well as you all understand, there is a lot more planning to be done..

Thanks once again for all thoughts and suggestions, now I can spend a few Days and see if I can incorporate it all in some way...

I'll be back soon.

Here's another desk design that might give you a few ideas too.
Everything is within easy reach and it really helps with work flow.

Nov13th13014_zpsd91b40a5.jpg

Its designed to break down into 3 sections so its easy to move. The base is basically two racks which bolt to the desk top; they're on casters so its also easy to move around the room for easy wiring changes & cleanup.

1AllwoodRecordingStudio_zpsa8e3bfd0.jpg

One of the racks has a nice patch bay hidden behind the door, while the other rack is a storage space for mics, cables and stuff.

Hope it helps.

My desk would be easy to break down - the 4 corner legs are mounted to threaded brackets. The center shelf-support has a couple of screws through the top into the desktop.
I was worried about wobbliness, too, as at 8ft long, it's a pretty big surface, so I added two L brackets one on the end against the right wall, and one on the left side against the back wall, and attached it to the wall. Solid as a rock now.
If your desk is going to be free-standing (not against a wall), then you do need to a more-robust leg-support system. Z-style supports are very strong, but I wanted to avoid the bottom 'foot' - I always stub my toes on my keyboard stand!

The basics:
1) Plan for the layout you want and make sure there's a space for everything you'll need. If you like your piano in front of you, then your desktop has to be big enough for a 61 key keyboard with the possibility of a tilting panel for it to give it an angle. If you want it on one side or the other, be sure you give yourself elbow room to reach all the keys. Your mix desk is deep and has a lot of wiring going in and out. If you want it in front of you, make sure there's space to get to all the knobs and sufficient wiring flow (holes/rails/whatevers) to make it work clutter free. If you are putting it on one side or the other, make sure that's where you'll be comfortable with it. No more moving it once it's wired into a specific slot on your desk. Do you need your computer keyboard handy? Plan for that.
2) Build rack mount strips into your design. You may never use them, but if you start getting serious about outboard equipment, you'll be glad you invested the few extra dollars and time into it.
3) Your monitor positions are critical. Make sure you design the platform for your near field monitors so that when you sit at the desk in your prime listening position the speakers will form that perfect triangle.
4) Castors are your friends. Invest in decent quality, rubber castors that will make everything easy to move. Don't shoot for small diameter or plastic! 4"x1" rubber castors and if you're worried about stability, get a couple for the front that have locks. There will come times when you have to tweak behind your desk and rolling the whole assembly away from the wall beats trying to remove everything off and out of it to get it light enough to move...and it really beats trying to crawl around INSIDE your desk...
5) If you have pieces that you use rarely, sliding shelves are your friends. My MPD18 is rarely used, but sits on a shelf that can slide in and out of the top of the desk to give me access. Handy when I need it, out of the way when I don't.
6) Your desk is a great place to have your mike locker. Plan a nice spot for your mikes behind a door that seals fairly well and get some of those moisture packs to keep your condensers happy.

Seriously, If I had your equipment, I'd build a keyboard shelf under (top at 26" and about 27" wide), slant table on top for the keyboard (top @ 31") and leave it wide enough that you might fit an 88 key in there someday if you wanted one (~52"). Risers on both sides leaving space for a lower vid monitor between (tops @ 41") Put rack mounts under the right one and one sliding shelf under the left one. L space on the left for your Onyx with a door for a mic locker/storage (deep) underneath and maybe more space or rack mounts under the right half...

Something like:
Desk.jpg

Not perfect drawing skills by any stretch, but at least gives the idea. The colors are so you can identify where different layers are...tried to draw your 7s :)
Possibly you'd want to drop the top on the left side (where the mixer goes) down to the keyboard shelf height to give you some elbow room and make the mixer controls easier access...

DSC_0214.jpgDSC_0216.jpgDSC_0219.jpg

hi every one ..... im new here .. just registered few min ago .. here is my build ... i used mdf plates 30mm .. all cost me bout 100$

hi every one ..... im new here .. just registered few min ago .. here is my build ... i used mdf plates 30mm .. all cost me bout 100$

Welcome to the forums, no need to post the same set of pictures in multiple threads at the same time.

Back