studio amps & monitors

H2H,

p.s. Did I understand your post right in deducing that you are currently using the Yorkvilles? If so, what do you think of them, and have you ever used the Yamaha's?

Zeke

the other thing about the yamaha ns10ms is that people are selling them for about $175 for the pair, sometimes as cheap as $125 for the pair.

Check out this mix that was done on them.

www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/jaguarslogic

"Amorita" was done on the ns10ms, while God in your eyes was done on the Alesis monitor twos.

Somethings you'll notice about the ns10 mix is that it does not have too much high end. I erroneously had my amp's high frequencies turned up, and mixed to match that.

Another thing you'll hear is that the bass could be louder and the kick is too loud. This comes from not being able to judge the bass well. THe mix is balanced though and translates everywhere. when I play a mix back anywhere, its exactly what I heard on the ns10ms that plays back from the other speakers.

Jag,

Actually, I had already downloaded both of your songs.

It's hard to know sometimes what to do when you have no experience. The one thing that I liked about the Yamahas is that they are so widely used in the industry. If so many professionals rely on them, they obviously yield good results.

It remains to be seen what kind of results I'll be able to achieve. But, I've always been of the mindset, in everything I do, that I don't want to be limited by my tools.

I always tell people that want to learn a musical instrument, to get a decent instrument. You'll never be any better than your instrument. Nothing's worse than trying to produce decent music on a guitar while trying to fight say....a warped neck and horrible intonation. The benefits of having a sweet playing instrument is beneficial immediately, although not fully realized until you have some practice under your belt.

I probably fret too much over decisions like this. Probably the Yorkvilles or the Yamahas would be just fine. I guess it's not the end of the world if I end up with either, and decide later to sell them and get something else.

I really liked your songs. You have a really good voice. Where are you taking your voice lessons at?

I'm about to bust a gut to get my equipment in and start tracking. I love the idea of being able to work on something as long as I want to, until it sounds good enough for ME.

Incidentally, I'm from Arkansas too.

Zeke

O cool! that makes two of us. What city do you live in? or have you moved out of state?

one mentionable thing about ns10ms is that they don't require learning. The first mix you do on them will translate on all your friends systems and cars.

After a while, you begin to realize that the highs are not that high on other systems. To fix this, when I buy the ns10ms again, I will put tissue on the tweeter as many pros do.

Note that they don't give the wow effect in the control room/bedroom as much though. If you are mixing for a friend or client don't let them hear the ns10ms mix . Everybody can tell what's wrong and whats not. The alesis monitor Twos are good that way. Most stuff sounds good on them. This will impress listeners, but it makes it harder to judge the minute details. The m2 has also been harder to learn to translate.

So mix with the home speakers, or big speakers, and then when everybody leaves, go back to the ns10ms.

THanks a lot for the comments on my music. On amorita, I was the second voice(the battle cry voice). I have since taken a semester of voice classes from a teacher that sang with pavarotti, and my voice is phenomenally better.

I mixed amorita in vegas pro with 32 megabytes of ram. That was a labor of love because I could not play more than 4 tracks in real time so I could only mix 4 tracks at one time. THe song had 21 odd tracks in it.

I agree with you about doing it onesself till it sounds good. I absolutely fell in love with the mixing aspect of recording.

sooooooooouuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiieeeeeee

I'm in Northwest AR,

Hog country. How long have you been where your at now? I have some cousins that used to live there.

I wish I could get some input from someone who had used both the Yorkvilles and the Yamahas.

What kind of amp were you using to drive your NS-10m's?

One advantage to using the YSM-1p's is that the amp is built in, and it would be much more convenient for mobility.

I found some of the Yamahas for 279 new with a 2 yr warranty. I could get them and probably get a good used amp for what I would have to pay for the Ysm-1p's.

Maybe I'll look into taking a voice class here at the U of A this summer. I was really into singing in High School. I sang in a University production of the Sound of Music, while I was still in high school. I had a full tuition scholorship offered to me to go and major in music, or half scholorship just to sing in the choir. (probably mainly because of the musical)

I turned it down and opted to go to work in the oil field. Went to school two years later (for 3 semesters) and payed my own way. I only took one music course, some kind of music appreciation I think. I really regret not taking advantage of that now. I just didn't have the fire in my belly at the time. I didn't know if it was what I wanted to do with my life at the time.

My singing is really less than adequate now. I would like to improve it. You have a real nice vibrato in your voice. I don't have that, nor have I ever. Oh well I'm rambling.

Take it easy,

Zeke

I've lost so much now

Re: sooooooooouuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiieeeeeee

MrZekeMan said:
Take it easy,

Zeke

I've lost so much now

I sound like I'm about to freakin' cry. I don't know what happened there at the end. I didn't mean to put a post script on there. My touch pad does weird things sometimes. When I'm typing and I brush against it it tends to spontaneously move the cursor, and sometimes it even copies and pastes, or highlights and erases.

What I had been trying to say in the body of my post is that I've lost so much when it comes to singing ability. Oh well.

I called Yorkville USA today, and they said that the YSM-1p's will not be out until probably August. That means probably October or December. Not an option for me

I'm gonna make a decision today. I can get the NS-10m's for 279 shipped. I can get the Yorkvilles for 178 shipped. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha's now. I can always get the Yorkvilles later if I want them. The Yamaha's aren't gonna be around forever.

By the way. Is the NS-10MS the same as the NS-10M?

Zeke

the ns10ms is the later model to the ns10m. THe ns10ms is built as a studio model.
Wow. You got a scholarship thats amazing. I got $2000/semester to OBU or $1500/semester to go to Henderson. I realized that I did not want to sing opera anymore, so I opted out and now I am an accounting major.

I was using a 60 watt sherwood newcastle rv4050 amp that I got from radio shack open box for $50. It sounded good. Right now I use an Alesis ra100 amp that you can get from marsmusic.com for $179. Its about $299 in all other places.

I almost hated my teacher the first half of the semester. Nothing was right with my voice. I thought she was trying to hurt me permanently, but now I love her for it.

the best thing to do would be to dig up mixes done on both systems and see which sound you prefer.

I know that dougie johnson and wallycleaver both use the ns10ms.

Most have mixes in the mixing clinic.

peace man, and let us know what you decide to do.

Is the NS-10MS being discontinued too? I'm just wondering if they have the same speaker construction that made the NS-10M unique. Supposedly that's why they discontinued them. They could no longer get the special wood fiber used in the construction of the Woofer.

Zeke

yes,

the whole line is being discontinued. THe ns10ms have been around for a long while though. The difference was that the ns10m tweeter was too bright, so engineers had to put tissure on them. THe ns10ms tweeters were not as bright, but still very bright.

I was going to ask, what kind of preamp do you have. As a vocalist, you want the best vocal channel that you can afford. The first thing people REALLY notice and comment on is the sound of the vocals.

Jag,

Thanks a million for your input. I just got through ordering the Yamahas. I have a line on a Samson amp, I hope I get it.

I don't have a preamp yet. that's next on my agenda. I thought I might wait until I get the 2480 in, and see what kind of treatment
Roland gave the preamps on the work station. From what I've read the pre's on the former VS series has been sub-par. Maybe they improved them to the point that they will be useable, at least temporarily.

The sound you have on your vocals is pretty awesome. I read that you're using a Joe Meeks pre. I'm curious, what kind of Mic is your $400 dollar mic?

Waiting to buy the preamp will help me to acrue a little cash as well. I called Roland today and they moved the delivery of the 2480 up to the first of June. Irritating. They've taught me a lot of patience, maybe I should just wait on the Akai machine now. It's supposed to be out this summer. It has some things that I really like. Although from what I've heard, the Roland's effects are superior.:confused:

a friend of mine here in arkadelphia is also waiting for his roland 2480. He is a dedicated roland guy and he knew that it would be six months before he got his roland gear(roland does that), but he went ahead and ordered it.

I think you should wait on the preamps. THe 1680 preamps were not the best, and I have not heard the 1880 pres, but they can still do a very good job.

The $400 mic is a used AKG c414 b-uls.

I just bought a $179.99 marshall v67g(wired with mogami cable) with shock mount from marsmusic.com and the sound is shocking. Shockingly good that is.

I should post a demo of it this weekend. Other nice, inexpensive mics are the rode nt1000 and ntk. I heard that the ntk compares to a u87. It costs about $475. the nt1000 is $375.

Or you can get an AT 4033 for about $300. It sound awesome, but I hear that the ntk and nt1000 kill it.

congrats on the yamaha

CyanJaguar said:
a friend of mine here in arkadelphia is also waiting for his roland 2480.

Your friend will be glad to hear that Roland shipped the 2480 today. Sweetwater told me that they expect them in the store on Wednesday.

That's a killer price on the Marshall. It's actually cheaper than I see them selling on eBay. Especially when you throw in the shock mount and cable. Hmmmmmm.

I've heard great things about the 4033. The only thing that scares me a little bit about the Rode mics is comments from Harvey Gerst that their quality control is not good. It would certainly be my luck to end up with a dud.

I'm starting to crawfish on my decision to go with the Roland. I'm thinking now I might wait until the Akai DPS24 is released. There is no reduction in track count with it when in 24/96 mode.

When I ordered the 2480, I thought it was no big deal. I figured I wouldn't really need more than 12 tracks, even with a full compliment of mics on the drums. However, as I've educated myself on recording and editing techniques, I really see the advantage to having more tracks. I've read up on what all you can do with copying and pasting your original track to an open track and manipulating the equalization, panning, and efx, to get a fatter sound when combining the two.

Also the Akai is designed to easily interface with a computer. And according to Akai, has lots of headroom for future expansion through that venue. It's an advantage for me too, as I wouldn't have to buy a monitor. I could just hook up my laptop to it through the USB.

Not to mention some other features of the Akai that the Roland doesn't have. I would hate to let my lack of patience cause me to repent at leisure. I would sure like to have my machine in the next week or so. But maybe in 3 months I'll be wishing I had the Akai instead.

I posted another thread here in the newbies section to try and get some input from some of these guys who have some experience.

Zeke

about the amp i saw an alesis r-100 at mars for 180 bucks
and the hafler 1100 at musicians friend for 199 bucks.
these should adequatly drive your monitors.

i got lucky and a mc intosh amp fell into my lap for only fifty bucks,
its really heavy, class A , and pushes out an efficiant 38 watts of class a power.

is there any reason a high end stereo amp like this could be inadequate for this application? its crystal clear and flat.

darrin,
if its flat, then it should work perfect. One thing I noticed when switching from my home amp to the ra100 is that I could have used more highs in my mixes.

Also, What kind of monitors do you have. A 38 watt amp will be good, if the power rating of the monitor is not much higher, but if you have a 150 watt monitor, then the sound will be rough around the edges, especially the lows, and might even spoil the monitor.

WHay don't you post a mix in the clinic?

mr. zekeman,

Have you looked at the hdr24/96. It seems to have everything, including computer connectivity.

A paris system on the other hand, guarantees you 128 tracks out of the box, and it sounds GREAT. I have heard it and highly recommend it, as it is in the same price range as the roland 2480.
It has to be connected to a computer though, so it is not portable.
But the convereters are world class. No preamps on it though

Jag,

The Mackie is out of my range because of needing a mixer with it.
The EMU Paris Pro sounds like a pretty awesome machine. I'm
having a hard time telling if the controller/mixer comes with it. I'm
sure it probably does. One thing I don't like about it is that it
doesn't have 96khz sample rate. Plus, I only have a laptop
computer, so I don't really think it would be compatable. From
what I've read it doesn't seem that the Paris Pro has it's own
hard drive. I think it uses the computer's. The Akai, has it's own
hard disk.

Anyway, it's getting out of my price range. Thanks for the
suggestions though. It was interesting reading. The more I find
out about other systems, the more I feel like I'm making the right
decision about what's right for me. And, who knows, I might just
run across something that suits me better.

Zeke

Mackie mixer.

Hi all,

I'm also trying to move from headphones, Audio Technicas,
to these YSM-1s.

I have a Mackie 1202VLZPRO compact mixer. I was wondering if I still needed the amp? Or does the mixer have a amp circuit for this already?

What I'm trying to say is can I just plug the YSM-1s directly into the Mackie and not have to purchase the Mackie amp that H2H was talking about?

THanks.

theres no yorkville monitors in existance

at least as far as the kansas city area is concerned. ive looked everywhere and none of the music stores carry yorkville. they do carry tannoy though what do you think of the proto-j.

i also have a line on some yamaha ns 10s i overheard a patron at mars say that he is disatisfied with the sound and he is wanting to return them after he left i asked the salesman for dibs on the pair i hope it works out.

anyway today i purchased a phase linear model 400 for only 20 bucks and it works flawlessly, my speakers have never shown more detial. im listening to all my steely dan discs right now, and hearing shit ive never heard before. wow.. and my mcintosh amp has been beaten up by this puppy.

Jerry,

You will need an amp...it could actually be a home stereo reciever or a power amp......if you have a home stereo reciever than can do some decent wattage (50W maybe), it will work fine....

Darrin,

You can get the YSM-1's for $89 apiece at Wheaton music.

http://www.wheatonmusic.com/

I believe that the shipping is free too. :)

You can buy the NS-10MS's for $279 shipped. I went with the NS-10M's because I wanted to own a pair of classics. And they won't be around much longer. I can always try some Yorkvilles later. I don't think I'll have any problem selling the Yamahas if I decide they're not for me.

I bought a Samson Servo-170 off of eBay today. :)

Zeke

The shipping is free from Wheaton on those Yorkvilles.....

As for the NS-10's, I havent heard them but alot of people that have say that they are harsh, but also say they are damn fine monitors...I think the biggest plus for them is that they are in so many studios, and if you learn to mix on them, you can hop from studio to studio and not have to learn new monitors....since I won't be studio hopping, Yorkville and Wheaton will be getting my money....

Back