studio amps & monitors

MrZekeMan

I'm currently assembling my home studio. Right now I have a Roland VS-2480 on order. I have a AMG C3000B, and a SM-57. I have a set of studio monitoring phones that I know will be nominally useful.

My two main decisions that I have to make now is monitoring and preamping.

On the preamp issue I think I will wait until I get the 2480 in and see how Roland set up the preamps on it. I might be able to get by for a while with the onboard pres.

My second issue is what I need immediate advice on. I'm oscillating between the Yamaha NS-10m and the Yorkville YSM-1. I found a set of the Yamahas for $279 new, with warranty. The best price I've found on the Yorkvilles is about $210.

I would really like to have a set of the YSM-1p but they are about $450 from what I've found. I'm really pushing the envelope on what I can afford.

I need some input on these monitors, and what is needed to push them. What kind of amp works well with these smaller type monitors? I'm looking at doing the best I can for the least amount of money, yet still not needing to upgrade in the near future.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor

Any advice would be appreciated.

I (and many others here) have and use the Yorkvilles. What can ? I say but they are great. They have a very good reputation around here.
As far as an amp, you will want enough power to give a strong, clean sound. (100W per channel min. ?) and it has to be stereo so you get real seperation in the monitors. I use a Mackie 800W amp myself with them, and I have great sound and no problems.

H2H

NS10's are aimmed at nearfiled as in you have main and mid field monitors. Yorkvilles are aimmed at nearfield mains. I'd get the yorkville.

I have used the NS-10s before and absolutely hated them. They have a big mid and hi end bust. My mixes sounded good in the studio on them but when I got out of the studio the base over powered my mids and hi end.
Andy

Thanks H2H, Wally, ADS, and Gidge.

I'm gonna go with the Yorkvilles. I was actually leaning towards them anyway, so you guys helped me to tip the scales that way.

Gidge,

I checked out the web site. 89 bucks apiece is quite a bit cheaper
than I found them anywhere else, and Wheaton has free
shipping.

I called them and asked about the YSM-1p. She said they would
be $209 apiece, $418 for a pair. I would like to have them too.
I like that you can tune them to different room applications.

Is it important to get a studio type amp for the monitors. Do you
have to worry about the amp adding color to the sound as you
do with the monitors?

Zeke

I think you can get away without a power amp. I've been using a consumer receiver with 65W/ side for my Event 20/20s and it works fine. I did, however have a dream last night that I saw the Hafler P3000 for $299. At least I can't remember where I saw it so I'm assuming it was just a dream.....
But yes, the amp will add any coloration it has to the sound.
What was my point? They're both important. The speakers are more important.

ok Doc you are pointing me in another direction...I thought you needed two times the wattage of a speaker (ex. 200wtamp for 100wtspeaker) to properly drive it....Of course I know NOTHING about this and was just going by what I heard...the YSM-1 has 70wt speakers...could a smaller 20-30wt/channel reciever drive them, or should the formula be followed an get a 140wt/ch amp...damn I sould stupid.....

Yo ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK: EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK:

Hey, man:

Get the Yorkville YSM-1 monitors.

You will love them. You can spend more and maybe get "more," but the YSM-1's will do th job.

Get a set of Beyer 770 cans -- best cans for the modest $$.

Practice, practice, practice and you will be happy with your work.

Green Hornet

Gidge said:
the YSM-1 has 70wt speakers...

Gidge,

No matter how stupid you feel, you can always look behind you, and there I'll be, scratching my head.

I was, however, reading about the Yorkvilles on their site, and noticed something that might be significant. In the YSM-1p they upped the woofer capacity to 100 watts as opposed to the 70 watts in the YSM-1. The built in amp does 115 watts with 85 going to the woofer and 30 to the tweeter. So it seems that they are slightly underpowering the speakers.

They say they generate less than .05% distortion at full power. The more I read about them the more I think I'll just go ahead and spend the 420 bucks and be done. The lady said they are due out any time now. Plus, I like the idea of having something that I can't overdrive and blow up. If it's not idiot proof, I can probably tear it up.

What kind of preamps are you guys using?

Zeke

The Green Hornet said:
Get the Yorkville YSM-1 monitors.

You will love them. You can spend more and maybe get "more," but the YSM-1's will do th job.

Hive-master,

That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna get the powered ones. It seems from what I've read about them, and from all the praise that you guys who use them heap upon them, that they give more bang for the buck.

Practice, practice, practice and you will be happy with your work.

Man, I can hardly wait. My experience with commercial studio's has left me feeling unfulfilled, and dissatisfied. Now I can spend as much time as I want perfecting my work.

Zeke

>ok Doc you are pointing me in another direction...I thought you needed two times the wattage of a speaker (ex. 200wtamp for 100wtspeaker) to properly drive it...

Well Yeah- that's where the sweet spot is, BUT: You've gotta consider two other things.
One being some rowdy spikes applied to your chain that might fry your speakers when given this kind of power and some rowdy spikes that might fry your hearing if given this kind of power. I've never had a problem with my Events (rated @ 150W continuous) using 65W a side. And they get loud enough to damage hearing.

Just the Reserve is $399. Who knows how high this will go, or if this puppy even works.
A power amp like this is worth buying new because it's a long time investment.
Unless I can get it for $299.... :)
Thanks for thinking about me!

Actually the reserve is somewhere between the current price and $399. You can use the buy it now at any time to end the auction and purchase it for 399. That is, until the reserve is met, then the "buy it now" option disappears.

I do prefer to buy new myself. Although, I can't always afford to. I guess you do take a chance of getting burned when you buy used.

I'll keep my eye out for you a new one for $299 though. I'm getting ready to hit the sack here in a sec. Maybe I'll find you one when I hit the REM stage. :D

Zeke

the thing about the ns10ms is that there is no guess work involved.

You will know immediately if something sounds wrong.

I had a friend borrow my ns10s for a week, and guess what? he never returned them. He let me keep his monitor twos.

The monitor twos let you hear what going on below 100, but the don't show errors in the mids as well as the ns10 ms.

I am going to buy another pair of ns10 ms when the price is cheaper. I think they are the best second reference that one can have.

a couple things

Sometimes My Mackie 800i is tied up doing other things, and I use my 1400i. Yes, that is 1400 WATTS. 500 per side at 4 ohms 300 per side at 8 ohms. The power rating on the YSM1 is using 6ohm, I have no idea why. Anyways, while I can't be held responsible for recommending to do it, 300-500 watts (and some restraint) has not hurt them a bit.

H2H

H2H,

I've noticed that some of the used Yamaha's for sale on eBay actually have in-line fuses in the speaker wires.

Seems like a good idea. I wonder if it would have any effect on the fidelity though?

Zeke

Back