Strings

mjbphotos

What're your favorites (and tell us which guitar)?

When I only had 1 acoustic (73 Epiphone) I used Cleartones for several years (because I got them for free) and like the sound and longevity, but they are just too expensive.
My new Taylor came with Elixers, but I didn't like them and replaced them as soon as a string broke with Martin Lifespans. Had MLS on my other acoustics for a while now and seem to get a good life and good tone.
On electrics, I have tried a number of strings, and none have impressed recently, but I don't play electric that much anymore.

Reading the threads over at the Acoustic Guitar Forums, some of those guys are SO full-of-themselves opinionated on some subjects like sound systems, strings, guitar makes .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
51dVsIo1P4L._SY300_.jpg

for electric I just buy whatever name brand's on sale. ...... often that's Slinkys but sometimes d'Addarios.

I actually prefer DRs but they cost more so screw it. I used to really like the DR coated strings (in red) but they've changed and now suck. They used to look kinda like they were anodized but the last set I got looked like they globbed on some red paint ...... 3 of them broke in a couple days and I rarely break strings.
But the DR pure nickel are really good.

For acoustic .... well, I don't play acoustic that much so my opinion is worth little.
But the last sets I put on had the windings stop before they reached the bridge saddle so only the core ran over the saddle just like a wound piano string does.
I don't remember the brand but if you're curious at all I think I have another set in my crap-box and I'll dig thru it to see if you want.As a piano tech this appeals to me.

yep ..... I have a few dozen sets of those on the shelf. Since I'm indifferent about changing strings they'll prolly last me a few years.

I'm the same way. I couldn't care less about strings as long as they're relatively the same. If we're talking just basic wound strings with no coatings or special properties, they're all the same to me. As long as they're the right gauge set I buy whatever is usually cheapest and that's usually the Ernie Balls.

I'm the same way. I couldn't care less about strings as long as they're relatively the same. If we're talking just basic wound strings with no coatings or special properties, they're all the same to me. As long as they're the right gauge set I buy whatever is usually cheapest and that's usually the Ernie Balls.
yep .... and when you look at their packages (like a dozen sets at a time) sometimes it's even cheaper to buy the 6 pack sets.
Last time I did that two 6-packs were 20% cheaper than buying on of the 12 packs.

yep .... and when you look at their packages (like a dozen sets at a time) sometimes it's even cheaper to buy the 6 pack sets.
Last time I did that two 6-packs were 20% cheaper than buying on of the 12 packs.

I used to buy, I think it was a 10 pack of Dean Markleys for 20 bucks. 2 bucks a set is a deal. I don't see those packs anymore. This was a long time ago. Currently I'm using Guitar Center's "String Club". For 20 bucks you buy this little credit card looking thing and every month they put 5 bucks on it towards strings. It's good for one year. So I use it once a month and grab a set of Ernie Balls for nothing. After 4 sets, it's paid for itself and it's like getting the next 8 sets free. They also have a "Stick Club" which is the same deal, but for drum sticks. I got that too. So for 40 bucks I'm getting 12 sets of strings and 12 pairs of sticks. There's a GC within walking distance to my house so it works out easy. Woohoo!

I used to be indifferent toward strings, but after some experimentation I realized that the type/gauge of strings you use actually contributes a lot to your tone. Not to mention, if you buy different strings every time, then you have to readjust the intonation when you restring your guitar or it'll sound out of tune.

For electrics it depends on the pickups/tonal qualities of the guitar. For something with dark sounding humbuckers I'd just want Ernie Ball or D'Addario nickel wounds. For brighter humbuckers or single coils I like flatwounds, because they feel nice and reduce finger noise. I used to use D'Addario chrome flats, but they're a little bit too dull. Recently switched to "TI Jazz Swing Flats" and I love them so far; brighter and lower tension than the D'Addarios, so you can go thicker gauge and get a warm, full sound without the strings being too hard to bend.

I've used extra-lights (9s) on my Tele since day 1, tried the Ernie Balls, nothing spectacular. As far as the 'any string' theory - I picked up 2 sets of what were supposed to be Fender elec strings on Ebay real cheap 1 time. They came in from China, in fake Fender outer packaging with cellophane inner envelopes with just the gauge size on each package. Obviously not Fenders. I messaged the seller back, told him I was going to report him for selling counterfeits and he refunded my money ($6.00 total for 2 sets) right away! They sounded like sh!t!

I've used extra-lights (9s) on my Tele since day 1, tried the Ernie Balls, nothing spectacular. As far as the 'any string' theory - I picked up 2 sets of what were supposed to be Fender elec strings on Ebay real cheap 1 time. They came in from China, in fake Fender outer packaging with cellophane inner envelopes with just the gauge size on each package. Obviously not Fenders. I messaged the seller back, told him I was going to report him for selling counterfeits and he refunded my money ($6.00 total for 2 sets) right away! They sounded like sh!t!

Ok, let me rephrase my comments to....any strings from a reputable string company is fine with me. Ernie Ball, D'Addario, GHS, whatever. All the same.

Fake chinese knock-offs don't count.

I use the medium gauge (.13-.56) Elixirs for both my acoustics (1960 B25 and a 1979 Fender), since I am mainly focused on on full sound. On my electric, I don't really care as I play it only to provide more sounds on my cuts and they are so heavy with effect plugins, I am not sure you even hear the guitar any more.

But the acoustics I am more sensitive. I try to change them every couple of months, more if I am playing more. The Elixirs I have been using so long, I haven't thought of another type of strings. But medium gauge no matter what for me. Plus I play my acoustic so hard, the mediums can hold up without breaking.

10-46 on Electric. Ernie Ball Slinky's are usually on special here.

Trying out some Standard Elixir's on bass. They are extra slippery which is both good and bad.

Some of my fellow bass colleagues dont like them as although they last longer, when they lose their coating, they go feral pretty quickly.

I've used Ernie Ball regular slinky for over 20 years. Why?
Simply because they're so easy to spot on the shelf ; )

What for that 'crunchy stuff?

That is what I use to get, well a crunchier sound as you have to play harder and lean towards the last three strings, using the first three lightly and usually on the up. The thinner pick gives you more room to play harder. At least, that is how I do it and I do rock out on the acoustic. third string breakage was always a problem until I moved up to a medium gauge. I still try and stay away from it, but I don't break strings anymore.

That is what I use to get, well a crunchier sound as you have to play harder and lean towards the last three strings, using the first three lightly and usually on the up. The thinner pick gives you more room to play harder. At least, that is how I do it and I do rock out on the acoustic. third string breakage was always a problem until I moved up to a medium gauge. I still try and stay away from it, but I don't break strings anymore.
Yeah I see. Just to be clear when you say 'last three being the smaller..? ( 'bottom or high strings' can mean either too.. ;)

Yeah I see. Just to be clear when you say 'last three being the smaller..? ( 'bottom or high strings' can mean either too.. ;)
Sorry, E, A, and D strings for the last three (I always think of bass, bottom).

Back