Strange Guitar Used by The Flaming Lips

SBax

Does anyone know what kind of guitar this is? Thanks.

Attachments

• Flaming Lips Guitar.jpg
    Flaming Lips Guitar.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 246
haha man i love the flaming lips.
wells... its a twelve string electric of some sort... he's goofed with its appearance so much it'd really be hard to figure out what it actually is. it might be a hollowbody. i cant tell.

The body shape looks like a Rickenbacker, with some serious modifications. Whatever it is, I think it would be safe to say, it has been customized quite a bit.

it looks like it has some sort of dorky built in amp or something.

but the flaming lips can do whatever the hell they want because they are the best band to walk on the planet...

or elsewhere......

probably just a prop. as Wayne hasnt really played guitar live in years. He does have an acoustic that he installed somekinda KAOS pad to tweak effects.

Saw the lips a ton "back in the day" livin in the midwest. Saw Michaels hair catch fire at the grand emporeum in Kansas City!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO they were a hell of a great live rock band, but I dig the dreamy new stuff too!!!! Just different.

By the way Steve Drozd is a friggin genius no matter what instrument he is playing!

Its a secret weapon

In the latest Guitar Player (July Issue) there is an interview with the Flaming Lips and Wayne Coyne is photographed with a beatup 12 string. It has a device installed called an Alesis "Air Synth" in the sound hole, it works like a theremin, wave your hand over it for effects. I'm betting that photo is the latest version of that guitar. :D

Back