Stormy Weather #final mix and master

This has all the elements to be excellent. But something about the mix is bothering me. Hard to put my finger on it. It could be that the bass needs some compression maybe? It's quite a bit uneven. Vocals are really nice. But the instruments seems to be fighting themselves. Wish I could be more helpful. Everything individually seems fine, but together it's not jiving for me.

Also it cut out on me halfway through. Not sure if the problem is on my end, or something else.

The vibrato seems to not sync with the rest of the elements occasionally. I can't quite put my finger on it. I like the vocals.

Thanks for the replies an suggestions. I'll look into your concerns. The song just cut out on me also (2times). It's had 138 views on my Cakewalk forum and no one mentioned it stopping . I can't get it to cut out there or on Soundcloud. I'm going to delete and repost it here. May be a link problem. Thanks .. mark

Mute the tremolo guitar out of the mix completely, and the timing of the cymbal hits sound late to me. Change nothing else and see how it sounds. Post it here and we'll all see how it sounds.

Last edited:
You got something good going on talent wise but there's something in the arrangement that makes it hard to follow. Hard to articulate. I like your voice.

Just listened again and if you listen between 47 second in and 57 seconds in, when the cymbal isn't playing, the timing comes together. When you bring it back in, the timing falls apart again. Mute it out of the mix as well and see how it sounds (I would question whether you need it in the mix at all).

Last edited:
Thank You for the further suggestions. In the morning I'm going to turn on the metronome and start with the drums and bass , then work down from there. @Sheetayd , the tremolo guitar really carries the main melody , but the tremolo effect may be causing some problems. @R D Smith , the speed of the effect may be off. I'll look at it closely or maybe drop it all together. @Manslick I Loved the term "inchworm groove". I don't know if that's good or bad but I'm sure gonna start using it. I think I've got some Good direction now. Thank You All ! I'll be back .. mark

OK , the link now reflects a Substantial remix. My only concern at this point is the vocal volume ?? I did a Lot of work on the drum track , I think it's a Lot smoother and more on point. @Sheetayd lowering and getting the cymbals off of the downbeat worked Wonders. Thanks for the detailed spot to identify the problem. The kick was also a few m/s off. On the left guitar I adjusted the tremolo speed and lowered the effect. , EQd and lowered the track. I don't think I would have touched the guitar if it weren't for you and @R D Smith getting my attention. Lowering the guitar prompted me to lower the vocals. "Thanks" to Everyone for your time and help. Let me know If it needs further work , I've got nothing but time .. mark

OK , the link now reflects a Substantial remix. My only concern at this point is the vocal volume ?? I did a Lot of work on the drum track , I think it's a Lot smoother and more on point. @Sheetayd lowering and getting the cymbals off of the downbeat worked Wonders. Thanks for the detailed spot to identify the problem. The kick was also a few m/s off. On the left guitar I adjusted the tremolo speed and lowered the effect. , EQd and lowered the track. I don't think I would have touched the guitar if it weren't for you and @R D Smith getting my attention. Lowering the guitar prompted me to lower the vocals. "Thanks" to Everyone for your time and help. Let me know If it needs further work , I've got nothing but time .. mark

Beautiful my man and the vocal volume is perfect. Glad to be of help.

By the way, I didn't mention it before but I've worked with people that would give up a body part for your voice and soul. Don't stop singing, you've been given a gift.

How are you working those brushes on the snare? Could you add a swirling brush and replace the rim shot with the other brush hit?

@spantini , I went in and replaced several of the rim shots with a quick snare tap and swirl. It sounds a lot better. I've been just turning down the rimshots instead of replacing them. They've been bothering me also. At some point I'll repost it. Thanks .. mark

I hope no offense is taken, certainly none intended, but I tried remastering this song for you. Mostly I was trying to tame the bass, but also put a little sheen on it. Obviously starting with mp3's has it's limitations, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

If like you it, fine. If you don't, well that why they made the delete button. :)

Attachments

• markalanskinner_stormyweather.mp3
    3.6 MB
@dachay2tnr , Thanks for that. I thought it sounded Very good. Sure is a Lot smoother. The bass and kick have been completely reworked since the mix that is up now. A lot more also done to the drums. Currently I'm swapping files with a friend with a huge collection of high end virtual instruments. I think this will be done pretty soon and posted. Thanks again for your great work , I appreciate it . mark

@dachay2tnr , Thanks for that. I thought it sounded Very good. Sure is a Lot smoother. The bass and kick have been completely reworked since the mix that is up now. A lot more also done to the drums. Currently I'm swapping files with a friend with a huge collection of high end virtual instruments. I think this will be done pretty soon and posted. Thanks again for your great work , I appreciate it . mark
👍🏼

Hello , I'm calling this one done! The link now reflects Major changes to the mix and master. Thanks to All of you. I surrender .. mark

Back