starting

dragonworks

Banned
Got the car out of the garage finally and all the equipment in. I will be buying the materials to replace the garage door next week. Picked the window out. 4X8. 4x4 picture window in the center with double hungs at either side. Being
4x8 should make it easy to make an insert for it to isolate it. Will be cinderblock filled with sand for the outer wall
and not sure what to due with the inner wall, John Sayers?
Use 2 by 6 or 8 or 10 for studs and recess the window deep into the wall to leave an air pocket between isolation and window? It would also make for a good window sill, shelf or whatever when insert is not in? Object is to be able to turn it into a family room very quickly when I sell the house. I need a good cieling design, can any one help?
Above is the living room. I have 2x8 for floor joists now I
think, at least 2x6, and the plumbing for the hot water heat runs in there somewhere so I will have to have to have
access to that. I can put a drop cieling in but cant go much
lower than the floor joists due to cieling hight. Cant put sheet rock where access is needed. I will need easily removeable bass traps for corners, will check John Sayers site before any construction except for outer wall and window installation.

Mate - I'm about to be cut out from the net for a few days/weeks cos of shifting to new pad etc - send me dimensions via email to sayers_john@hotmail.com and I'll look at your setup and advise
Cheers
:D

Sounds cool dragonworks!
For my inner walls, I used 2x4 construction ... but created a 2" airspace between the concrete block and the lumber. Also, my basement has 12" concrete block for the 1st 3-4' and then 2x6 construction set back about 6" on the block. So, the space between my inner wall and the actual outer wall of my structure wound up to about 8". This made for a pretty deep window. Which, I actually like because of the ledge. In the control room, I leave the window unblocked, but in the studio room I made a 'box' made out of 2x4s and fiberboard, filled it with insulation and stick it in the window when we jam. It does the trick, but it's really heavy ... I nearly get a hernia moving it by myself.
I can't think of any alternative to a drop ceiling if you need access. I installed an interlocking tile ceiling, but it would be a large pain if I had to get up in there.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I got the studio now, but I made sure that I could sell the house to a non-audio person, if need be. By removing the window 'box' and replacing the inner window with drywall, these become pretty good-sized bedrooms. For this reason, though, I haven't installed any bass traps or foam. To me, that stuff is a significant investment and I'd want to take it with me if I ever had to move. If you find a solution for that, let me know.
Anyway, I don't know if any of this helps you ... but good luck with the construction!

Back