About to finish out basement, would like to include a studio, need advice

Yes, I'd put something soft between the joists.

It'd be better to make all those steps on the ceiling, ecc83.
Maybe acoustic tiles?
Acoustically I don't think it would matter and as I suggested, the platforms can be put to other uses. In fact anything that breaks up the floor area will help. Mic storage cupboard? Big ole sofa?

Dave.

It's going to be pretty difficult to keep the ceiling and floor from being parallel to each other. What options do I have? Would area rugs help?
You could be creative and use the space between the joists? Are you going to fix to the joists, or are you building a room within the room? An old trick is to consider 3 joists, and slice the ceiling panels so they go up a little into the cavity, and a corresponding amount downwards on the other side, pivoting just below the centre joist in a totally isolated room within the room, or physically connected to it in a no isolation design. Don't forget that concave panels can create focus and odd places where certain notes get loud, but convex curves work as dispersion. If you build bass traps as freestanding items, these can go up into the inter-joist spaces - as can any air handling ducting. Just get a bit crafty with your plans.

I don’t know how pertinent it is to this thread, but it IS about building a studio.

I came across this short video about a wall construction method for soundproofing I’d never thought of.

Pretty cool. Check it out!

I don’t know how pertinent it is to this thread, but it IS about building a studio.

I came across this short video about a wall construction method for soundproofing I’d never thought of.

Pretty cool. Check it out!

Staggered stud construction is nothing new, but if they are on the same bottom or top joist, it reduces the advantage.

Interesting Project - I left all the sound proofing out in my studio - I accomplish a lot with Gobos and hanging Blankets - the thing with soundproofing is one has to go to extremes to get it right - and then trying to make to room acoustically nice adds more frustration - where I'm coming from now is I use Helix to track Guitar and Bass, E-Drums and Keyboards - now if I have a specific needs I go to local venues - like for Grand Piano and Acoustic Drums - but the majority of my work is without Microphones,

Back