Spell of the Witch

What happened to your low end? I'm hearing fizz but no fullness in the guitars, cymbals and snare top but very little kick, or snare bottom, little bass, etc. It sounds like you put a high pass filter across your mix bus and set the frequency cutoff for somewhere in the midrange.

Could be an interesting song with an 80s metal vibe.

What happened to your low end? I'm hearing fizz but no fullness in the guitars, cymbals and snare top but very little kick, or snare bottom, little bass, etc. It sounds like you put a high pass filter across your mix bus and set the frequency cutoff for somewhere in the midrange.

Could be an interesting song with an 80s metal vibe.

thanks for the comments, I will re-mix it. as to the snare, I changed both heads and the strainer and my recorded sound went to shit, it's driving me nuts. it sounds good live. I am really struggling with the guitar sound. We run the guitar direct through a pedal board, the guitar player feels the same way about the tone, no matter what setting he uses it always sounds thin, not sure of the brand or model , its a 500.00 multi effects pedal board. could not using an amp be the issue? I could try an amp sim but would rather not. not sure how to fix it with EQ. maybe compress the shit out of it? I just dont know.:wtf:

Last edited:
Yeah, everything seems to be EQd too narrowly. The drums have not body. The guitar is nothing but body. The bass is just rumble with no definition.

Why go direct with the guitars Atkron? You built that studio so you can makes some noise.

Not much to add to what's been said. Mix has some problems. I thought the singing was good. A bit heavy with the delay on the vocal however.

Were those real drums? I liked the drumming. Drum sound is kind of bad. But the drum part was good IMO.

Not much to add to what's been said. Mix has some problems. I thought the singing was good. A bit heavy with the delay on the vocal however.

Were those real drums? I liked the drumming. Drum sound is kind of bad. But the drum part was good IMO.

yes, real drums, being a drummer you would think thats the least problem I would have, Wrong! I know the drum sound I am looking for buts it's like trying to catch a fart. My snare sound just sucks ass, the kick is ok I think. any help, advice would be great. Thanks!:D

Yeah, everything seems to be EQd too narrowly. The drums have not body. The guitar is nothing but body. The bass is just rumble with no definition.

so what would be some suggestions to fix it? not being an ass, I honestly want to know, I have spent alot of time on the problems but just seem to make it worse. I will welcome any advice.:D

How is the snare mic'd ? Top and bottom ? How close ? Angle, positioning ? Those questions apply to all your drums. Then what are the mic's plugged in to ?? Whats follows next in the signal chain ? Etc.... What is in the track chains and so on .......... Need that type of info to help....... BUT the answers are all in there somewhere.

Ah, pups (short for pickups in most areas, but usually spelled p'ups...my bad). Stock pickups are usually tamer. Some others are really "hot" going in. It can make a big difference in how they play with the effects pedal.

How is the snare mic'd ? Top and bottom ? How close ? Angle, positioning ? Those questions apply to all your drums. Then what are the mic's plugged in to ?? Whats follows next in the signal chain ? Etc.... What is in the track chains and so on .......... Need that type of info to help....... BUT the answers are all in there somewhere.

SM57 on the top, about 1 inch inside the rim, about a 30 degree angle, into a UR824 interface into Cubase 8. comp and EQ in the chain, send to a reverb channel. Thanks!:D

Ah, pups (short for pickups in most areas, but usually spelled p'ups...my bad). Stock pickups are usually tamer. Some others are really "hot" going in. It can make a big difference in how they play with the effects pedal.

ok, Im a drummer so really stupid on the guitar stuff, not sure but I can find out. we are recording Friday night, gonna try going with an amp instead of direct. Thanks man!:thumbs up:

Back