Songwriter´s Home Studio

LilOrange

Hello everyone,

so I decided to invest in some recording equipment. And since I´m a newbie (and not really into technology :D) I wanted to ask you guys to help me with it. So, I´m a songwriter. What exactly do I need to have in my own little home studio? Currently I have a Yamaha Keyboards, a borrowed Alesis iO2 express Audio Interface (but want to buy my own), just bought a Nady Condenser Microphone Nady SCM 960 Studio Condenser Microphone | Musician's Friend . I also have a few cables. Is that all? Do I need to get something else? Oh, yes, I have downloaded a lot of Softwares for trial like, Cubase, Reaper, Magix, Adobe Audition and I have Audacity too. Which one is the best for my needs? Also, what do you think about the Alesis Audio Interface....I seem to have some issues with the sound...can you recommend something else that is good but affordable?

Thanks a lot! :)

Greetings,

LilOrange

Depending on what you're doing. Let's start with the basics.
Room treatment (anything from blankets (not recommended) to $1000s on acoustic treatment), but at least buy some roxul and triangle cut to trap the bass in your corners. See POST #49 for some decent pics on how it's done.
Mike and stands, cables to get you there. completely up to you on budget and quality. But at a minimum, one LDC for vocal/acoustic and a decent dynamic (everyone should own an SM57!) + drum mikes, if you're doing live drums.
Interface: Just posted this sticky up yesterday. Get enough ins/outs to do what YOU need done. Make sure you have midi if you're going to use it.
Monitors: Lots of good stuff out there, but pick something and work with it. Get used to what commercial songs sound like (in the genre you're working in) and get to where you can make your music sound similar.
DAW: you've got a good mix there. Try each one for a few WEEKS minimum to see what feels best to you. Watch youtube videos to see "how to" with each. Ask questions.
A nice trigger program for drums to get good sounds. (Steven Slate, Superior Drummer, etc) and/or a drum kit to record live.
Get plugins: Plugs for synths, compressors, fx, eq. (there are some really good freebies out there)
Computer optimized for recording. Take a look at this.
Experience. No one can give you that part. Get in and do some covers to get things rolling and develop your skills. Post on the MP3 Mixing Clinic on this site (after you have 10 posts) and get great feedback from some very talented ears.

Happy Recording! :D

Do lots of reading and ask more specific questions before buying anything. There are plenty of 'sticky' threads here with valuble information.

Hi Lil' and welcome.
I have to confess my heart sank a bit when I read "Not really into technology"! Sorry Lil but music, especially recording music has always been "technical" (even before Ludwig wanted louder pianos!) .

You don't have to be super smart or an IT whizz (few here are as computer dumb as I!) but you should get into things like "gain staging" decibels and basic hook up systems.

But, you seem to have started out in a systematic way, testing DAWs for example. I doubt a BIT of technology is going to faze you!

Rock (or whatever you write!) on!

Dave.

Back