Solar Temple - More Stoner Rock (or something)

chrislfenton

I still don't know what genre this is (alternative stoner rock???), but this is the first track on the three song EP my band put out a few weeks back. I recorded/mixed/mastered this in my parents house

Lemme know what y'all think of this one! Previous feedback on the two other tracks have been very informative!

The guitar riff sounded OK.

The mix is kind of a mess. Everything in the midrange is stepping on everything else.

The bass is really rumbly and indistinct.

There is a crash cymbal on the left that is really loud. The snare is pretty thuddy - not much attack. The bass is clobbering the kick.

The vocal is kind of cool sounding. A bit unnatural sounding, but it was pretty cool on this song. A bit too edgy/harsh. But other than that, it was pretty cool.

What TripleM said.

This is a really rocking performance. It's just dampened by the mix. The only thing I might disagree with TripleM on is about the vocal being too edgy. If anything, the mix needs a little more edge in the right places. The low and low mid frequencies are fighting, and nobody's winning, so you need to find a home for each instrument in the frequency range. I've just been learning how to do this myself, for the exact same issue with muddy lows.

All very fixable things. The song sounds great!

The guitar riff sounded OK.

The mix is kind of a mess. Everything in the midrange is stepping on everything else.

The bass is really rumbly and indistinct.

There is a crash cymbal on the left that is really loud. The snare is pretty thuddy - not much attack. The bass is clobbering the kick.

The vocal is kind of cool sounding. A bit unnatural sounding, but it was pretty cool on this song. A bit too edgy/harsh. But other than that, it was pretty cool.

Thanks for the feedback!
I agree, I went a little too girthy on the bass. As far as the drums went, yeah I missed the target on it a little

---------- Update ----------

What TripleM said.

This is a really rocking performance. It's just dampened by the mix. The only thing I might disagree with TripleM on is about the vocal being too edgy. If anything, the mix needs a little more edge in the right places. The low and low mid frequencies are fighting, and nobody's winning, so you need to find a home for each instrument in the frequency range. I've just been learning how to do this myself, for the exact same issue with muddy lows.

All very fixable things. The song sounds great!

Thank you!
Yeah I think a lot of the problems I had with this mix was trying to bring some lo-fi'ness to it

Back