Soccer Guys - What does this mean?

You know what's the most crazy to me? The fact that soccer fans take pride in being drunken hooligan tough guys, drinking, chanting, fighting, cheering, yet they cheer for a sport that is most definitely not tough at all. Soccer is a lot of good things. Soccer players are elite athletes. Elite athleticism, high motor skill, extreme coordination, ultimate agility...but tough guys they are not.

dude, your view of football fans is stuck somewhere in the mid eighties...most bring the kids and eat prawn cocktails at half time ;)

Now he's using my lines.

Awesome. He's starting his melt down now. :D

funny-bodybuilders.jpg

Hehe....I love watching me a good melt down. Keep wasting your morning searching the internet for pictures.

Lol@ Greg-lite. :laughings:

dude, your view of football fans is stuck somewhere in the mid eighties...most bring the kids and eat prawn cocktails at half time ;)

Lol. Maybe my view is dated. I don't know. I only know what I see on TV and what I hear from you guys. I've been to a few MLS games and the crowd is mostly yuppies and hipsters. I always just assumed a US soccer fan is very different from a European or south american soccer fan. Houston's MLS stadium is pretty cool though. Nice place.

I don't know about "100 times as much" but flopping in soccer is way more common than any other major sport. It just is. In no other sport to players take a dive like they do in soccer.

It happens more in high profile games and with certain countries. It isn't that common where I go. The biggest annoyance in the premier league is players surrounding and harassing referee's.. I'm with you though I want it stopped. The governing bodies should do something about it. One of the problems is they refuse to act retrospectively like they do in other sports.

Lol. Maybe my view is dated. I don't know. I only know what I see on TV and what I hear from you guys. I've been to a few MLS games and the crowd is mostly yuppies and hipsters. I always just assumed a US soccer fan is very different from a European or south american soccer fan. Houston's MLS stadium is pretty cool though. Nice place.

naw it exists still...Italy, Poland, Russia etc...but theyre cowards who run in packs, not really tough guys...doubt they can hold a pint either ;)

MLS grounds are fine, been to half a dozen, the big games will sell out but most of the crowd is either hispanic or clueless ;)

You know what's the most crazy to me? The fact that soccer fans take pride in being drunken hooligan tough guys, drinking, chanting, fighting, cheering, yet they cheer for a sport that is most definitely not tough at all. Soccer is a lot of good things. Soccer players are elite athletes. Elite athleticism, high motor skill, extreme coordination, ultimate agility...but tough guys they are not.

You never saw Julian Dicks, Norman Hunter, Vinnie Jones and others play. Definitely guys I wouldn't have picked a fight with and I can handle a fair scrap when called on to do so...;)

It happens more in high profile games and with certain countries. It isn't that common where I go. The biggest annoyance in the premier league is players surrounding and harassing referee's.. I'm with you though I want it stopped. The governing bodies should do something about it. One of the problems is they refuse to act retrospectively like they do in other sports.

I've noticed that soccer refs are a lot more lenient than refs in other sports. They must have thick skin to deal with all that bullshit protesting. NFL refs and baseball umpires will have none of it. You can say your piece then you better fuck off because they will punish you if you get stupid about it. NBA refs will throw a technical on your ass just for looking at them funny.

You never saw Julian Dicks, Norman Hunter, Vinnie Jones and others play. Definitely guys I wouldn't have picked a fight with and I can handle a fair scrap when called on to do so...;)

Maybe, I don't know those guys. But I know that in the entire world cup, none of those dudes were very physically intimidating. And they don't have to be, I get that. Being big and bulky is not an asset in soccer. But they're so not tough.

I've noticed that soccer refs are a lot more lenient than refs in other sports. They must have thick skin to deal with all that bullshit protesting. NFL refs and baseball umpires will have none of it. You can say your piece then you better fuck off because they will punish you if you get stupid about it. NBA refs will throw a technical on your ass just for looking at them funny.

Yep same in Rugby and cricket. Especially rugby....

Footballs governing bodies still allow the players and managers to criticise refs with impunity and that really is the root of the problem. They started a campaign here to sort it called the "Respect" campaign and rolled it out at kids grass roots games. Now I coach sport and I have seen plenty of kids copy their idols but never seen a pro footballer use a 7 year old kid as a role model. Thats how crazy foorball admin is...

Rooney looks like a tough fucker.

All joking aside, there's no denying that soccer players are great athletes. To be at the top of any sport, you have to be awesome at it. There's only one aspect of the sport that makes it hard for me to watch. But that doesn't mean "anyone" can play at the top level. When I see "Best of..." soccer highlights, I'm blown away at some of the plays and athleticism.

Maybe, I don't know those guys. But I know that in the entire world cup, none of those dudes were very physically intimidating. And they don't have to be, I get that. Being big and bulky is not an asset in soccer. But they're so not tough.

Under the current laws none of those guys would have made it out of the tunnel before getting a red card...;)

You'd know Vinnie Jones as the gun toting hard nut in the film Lock Stock and two... He went into acting but was a real hard footballer in his day.

But comparing football hits to hockey hits makes you glad hockey has pads and helmets.

Notice most of these guys just jump back up for more...

Notice most of these guys just jump back up for more...
Oh man, you might regret that. :D

Hockey players are the toughest. Period. They get their teeth knocked out and refuse to stay down. They get a puck to the face, get 75 stitches and come back and play 10 minutes later. There's no comparison.

Back