So, is it completely taboo to have internet

JasonBird

Average Member
on your recording pc. pros? cons? if it's working, why not? is there better performance to be had? I record in 16 bit 44.1 format, but i just bought a 500 gig external hard drive so i'm thinking about going up in recording quality....any body have any thoughts?

JasonBird

As far as I'm concerned, if you know what you're doing well enough to not risk getting viruses, then there is no reason you can't have your recording PC hooked up to the internet.

I do regular backups anyway, so if something DOES happen, I'm safe. I'd be doing that if I didn't have internet hooked to it anyway.

The amount of hidden background processes it can take to have the internet on a computer can cut its speed and efficiency in half.

I use a laptop for internet garbage. It has a full windows instilation. On boot up I'm already using 358Meg of system memory, theres 54 processes and services runing in the background.... and thats just to boot to the desktop before running any applications.

Now, when I boot up my DAW that was built specificaly to be a DAW and nothing else I use 67Meg of system memory and there are 9 processes running in the background to boot to the desktop.... as you see that's quite a saving.

Nobody says you can't have the internet on your computer but anyone who doesn't have it and has a striped out version of xp will tell you how noticable the benefits are when recording.

Alex

it's fine for me. No biggy. It's much more useful to have the internet on your side when you wanna look up something.

Haven't had a problem yet. I don't have anti-virus, but do have zone alarm. I run cubase se3 and most is 12 tracks with plugs on each one. P4 2.6g with 1gig of ram. No slowdowns or glitches at all

I'm careful about what I download and open in email. I backup when the guilt becomes unbearable. Hmmm, maybe I'll backup tonight.
Cheers,

I have always had it on my daw. I have always told my self I would take it off, but years later it's still there. I you are running a very taxing job you can always unplug from modem and kill any antivirus.

It's never been an issue for me.

F.S.

I've never used my recording PC for internet use and never would. I simply don't want to take a chance. I bought a used laptop for $200 (from the guy who builds my computers for me) - and I use that for internet, maintaining various data bases (including song lyrics, chord charts, etc).

For $200 I sleep much easier.

I used to have internet and audio when I only had 1 install of Windows on my pc. When I decided to set up a separate install, I disabled my network card. I consider myself to be quite careful about what I look at on the net, but a year or so on, the install without internet is running as it was the day I built it, and the one with internet has turned into a pig that will soon be rebuilt.

On top of that, with my network card disabled, I can take off my antivirus, firewalls and any anti spyware software, which will conserve a few resources.

Back