So, i recently acquired a 52 Tele reissue...

JasonBird

Average Member
and it looks to be perfect, but i noticed with the pickup switch in the neck position ( furthest forward) the sound is very muted. Like one quarter of the volume in the middle and bridge position. Is that normal for a guitar like this? i like the sound in that position, but the volume is so much lower. Ideas?

JasonBird

Have you tried adjusting your pickups? How far is the neck pickup from the strings? I think the RI's are wired like the originals, and are different from current production teles. That could have something to do with it also.

i'll measure it. it looks to be fairly close distance wise but i'm eyeballin' it. it seems to be that there is mention of a wiring kit with a capacitor included with it. But it is all still sealed in the bag that it all came in. I wasn't going to open if i didn't have to. it's a nice guitar. i feel kind of guilty the way i came to own it. but that's a different story.

Here's how a '52 Tele is wired:

The electronics on the '52 tele where somewhat different to that of the earlier version. The normal 3-way pickup selector wasn't introduced until the last 60's which meant that there was no 'both' pickup setting that included a tone control (See next paragraph). This is somewhat significant in that the '52 version has a slightly more 'advanced' pickup selector system than that found previously. The '52 electronics consist of two single coil pickups, a volume control and a tone control. The tone control worked when the selector was in the rear and front settings and not in the middle setting. Fender calls this the 'Vintage Circuit' in that the 3-way pickup selector does select between the pickups but there is no setting where both pickups are on simultaneously. The pickup selector when in the rear (bridge) position turns on the bridge pickup with the tone control working normally. In the Middle position the front (neck) pickup is turned on with the tone control working as you would expect. Now when the pickup selector is placed to the bridge pickup setting the front (neck) pickup is turned on and has a more dark sound. The tone control does nothing.

Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade:

* Back Position - Bridge Pickup with Normal Tone Control
* Middle Position - Neck Pickup with Normal Tone Control
* Front Position - Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)

The kit that came with the guitar turns the system into the typical modern "neck-both-bridge" pickup selector.

* Front Position - Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)

Just for anyone reading, if I recall, there is another capacitor used in this position, so it has an even more rolled off tone than if you just completely roll off the tone in the middle position.

The kit that came with the guitar turns the system into the typical modern "neck-both-bridge" pickup selector.

It should also have a modern bridge included if the kit is complete.

To the OP:
However, from personal experience, none of this changes the volume at all.
The Neck w/roll off will sound a little less loud just by the nature of lacking high end (and even a chunk of the upper mids), but I wouldn't say there is a huge volume drop.

You better listen to Outlaws, JasonBird- he gets testy when you don't accept his advise.

(waiting for the reaction...)

Aw, COME on, I am joking around, Outlaws!:D

You better listen to Outlaws, JasonBird- he gets testy when you don't accept his advise.

(waiting for the reaction...)

Aw, COME on, I am joking around, Outlaws!:D

Only when you ask for advice and then spit upon the person giving it because you don't understand it.

How is that for a reaction?:D

My 52 reissue is the same way...the bridge is much hotter...neck is very warm...but lower output...Ive never been much for combining pickups but I like the twang you get from both the middle and neck pickups of a strat.

Doesn't the '52 come with the electronics required for a contemporary sound? "Modern Wiring Update Kit" included?

Super! that is great info. It definately seems to act just like you are saying, but there is a big volume difference when it is switched to that front position. So if it's in the middle position, the neck pickup is working fine. and the bridge pickup sounds great as well. My assumption is that the tone control circuit really adds to the output, and when it is deactivated, it's quite drastic. I don't think that i would want to change the neck pickup position because then the middle setting will be too loud. I'll record it and post a link so that you can hear the difference in the different settings. Again, i appreciate the replies from everyone!!

Super! that is great info. It definately seems to act just like you are saying, but there is a big volume difference when it is switched to that front position. So if it's in the middle position, the neck pickup is working fine. and the bridge pickup sounds great as well. My assumption is that the tone control circuit really adds to the output, and when it is deactivated, it's quite drastic. I don't think that i would want to change the neck pickup position because then the middle setting will be too loud. I'll record it and post a link so that you can hear the difference in the different settings. Again, i appreciate the replies from everyone!!

Have you cranked up your amp while playing with this guitar yet? It still may not be as much of a drop as it seems if you have just been playing at quiet levels.

From everything I remember reading about the 52, the tone roll off position was originally used as sort of an "electric bass" since this was prior to the electric bass.

I think it works great for ambient chords and sounds.

Back