Skyline - Looking for feedback

Can you post a less-compressed version directly to the thread? Soundcloud is killing your cymbals!

Aside from that, your backing instruments sound really good. Nice guitar tone and solid, driving drums.

I'm having some issues with the acoustic tho. It doesn't really sound like it's in time with everything else.

I also wouldn't mind the vox coming up a touch. They're a little buried.

What's that bassy piano sound? Is that a midi bass playing a piano line? A piano mirroring the bass? A weird sounding bass? It's pretty cool tho.

Sounding good. Personally I think the electric guitars could do with more mids, but I guess you're going for a metal-y sound. They sound to me like they might be blending into the background a little too much.

After listening to it in the car, I came back to it and lowered the bass on the kick drum since it was muddying up the chorus for me, and lowered the cymbals as a whole a bit. Should be better hopefully. Fixed one or two little issues with the vocals getting quieter.

What's that bassy piano sound? Is that a midi bass playing a piano line? A piano mirroring the bass? A weird sounding bass? It's pretty cool tho.

No midi bass or piano, I have a high pass filtered bass that's heavily distorted mixed in with the DI bass and a low pass bass. I think that's creating the effect you're hearing.

EDIT: Enabled downloads, if you'd like it.

Last edited:
Each instrument sounds pretty good by itself but I think they are not glued together particularly well in the mix. The vocals and drums have a ton of processing whereas the rhythm electric guitars sounds relatively dry. Maybe more continuity there would help I dunno.

When the rhythm guitars are going, it's as if there is too much going on in the lower mids. Frequency-wise the bass and drums and guitar and vocals are all fighting for that space and yet there is a lot of other space not used up.

The acoustics are still pretty messy. That's probably the most egregious thing to address.

When you enable downloads, does SC serve the original file or is it still compressed? (I don't actually use SC, so I don't know these things)

I'll take a look at the acoustics and EQ the rhythm guitars a bit differently.

As far as Soundcloud goes, I'm not sure if they compress it. I uploaded it in a 96khz .wav format, same as how I recorded. Unless you're referring to the audio compression? I have it compressed pretty hard in a "modern" way.

It sounds like timing is way off with the acoustic guitars, but it might just be the chord part + riff part don't work together well, and the hi-hat can easily be confused for the pick hitting the strings type sound. I actually thought I had another song playing on a different window when I first heard it.

Spent some time trying to match up the acoustic guitars with each other, they aren't perfect, but should be much better. EQ'd the rhythm guitar a smidge, and threw on a room reverb to it as well to try to help it sit better in the mix and not fill up so much of the low mids. Thank you for the feedback guys, really appreciated!

I know there's been more than one person who has commented on the acoustic guitar parts being a little wonky and all,
Really, that was just me commenting twice! :D

New mix the acoustics sound better. They hit with the drums more precisely. The trills and runs still seem a little off time. Do you have a delay on them? Maybe check that? If the delay length isn't in time with the mix, it'll muddy things up.

Really, that was just me commenting twice! :D

New mix the acoustics sound better. They hit with the drums more precisely. The trills and runs still seem a little off time. Do you have a delay on them? Maybe check that? If the delay length isn't in time with the mix, it'll muddy things up.

I don't have a delay on the acoustics. There are 2 12 strings and 1 6 string acoustic.

Back