Siren Song Remix-2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vox are too dry/thin for me - has a bit of distance to em but need some beef - sounds like it was recorded OFF MIC.
A bit more bass with a little more definition - perhaps some careful Blockfish compression?
I think there's a little high across the top that's missing as well as the mid low in the gits.
Not soft to me more thinned out.
It's a cool song and performance - just need to keep tweaking till you're happy.
Try a few variations of EQ tweak across the final mix perhaps.
Mix 6 has some of the beef - retrace your changes & see what you could keep.
What he said^^^^^^^^! Cool song though....just keep turning knobs and pushing buttons:D

Nice song and guitars, Anfontan.

Some impressions (I listened mixes 2, 3 and 4)

*Bass guitar is much better in the last version.
*Vocal is more well balanced (frequency)than previous,altough a bit loud.
*You lost a lot of hi frequencies in this last mix!

My suggestion is to down the vocal a bit and add at least 2 or 3 dbs in the highs (around 10K, open Q).

Ciro

Last edited:
I just listened to your 4 mixes, and have mixed opinions.
Instrumental mix, I would stay with No.2, nice punch.
Vocally, I would stay with No.3

Just my 2 cents.

Great song and performance!
Do you record all instruments?

Cheers!

Nice song and guitars, Anfontan.

Some impressions (I listened mixes 2, 3 and 4)

*Bass guitar is much better in the last version.
*Vocal is more well balanced (frequency)than previous,altough a bit loud.
*You lost a lot of hi frequencies in this last mix!

My suggestion is to down the vocal a bit and add at least 2 or 3 dbs in the highs (around 10K, open Q).

Ciro

Thanks for the suggestions Ciro, the original song came together pretty fast years ago and the bridge part was added in the last year-I always thought a little variation was needed. I added the slide guitar as an afterthought and I liked how it worked on that section. It's aTelecaster tuned to 'G' for that part.
I will do a mix with a previous vocal track and see how that will work.

I just listened to your 4 mixes, and have mixed opinions.
Instrumental mix, I would stay with No.2, nice punch.
Vocally, I would stay with No.3

Just my 2 cents.

Great song and performance!
Do you record all instruments?

Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed it Nico, yes, I wrote and recorded all the parts of the song.
I might try mixing and matching some different versions and see what happens-its great that the internet can let me audition songs to people in South America and Worldwide-thanks for listening!

Ok, I hesitate to chime in again as I'm not sure I'm adding much value to this, but just in case I am (and I've been following the progression), I will offer additional thoughts.

The vocals are a little clearer on 5 vs 4. I think after the 1st mix you settled on a basic, not-so-effect-laden vocal sound that works better...

As far as the instruments go, while this does rock a little more than say #2, I think you've lost some clarity and gotten a little too rumbly and/or bassy in general. Just my opinion from headphones and pc speakers, but I'd want to hear the vox as is with the instruments overall somewhere between this and mix 2.

I remember this tune. I think I might have replied in an earlier thread. I think this last mix is almost there. Vocals are up front where they should be. Guitars and bass rock!! Is that ezdrummer? It's so weird to hear other people using it sometimes because you feel like your drummer is moonlighting on you. ha ha ha :D

I think it still needs some minor adjustments. I don't get the impression that everything is in the same space. You can hear the room mics on ezdrummer, but the vocals are dry. Guitars sound good and teh bass has no high end definition, but I like it that way. The other is the overall mix can use a little boost in the 3k - 5k range.

JMHO... you rock, Tony.

This mix has the low end of the 4th mix and the vocal from # 3. Hope it's a winner-listen and be the judge.......

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7259299

I haven't read all the replies, so I'm listening with no pre-conceived ideas to the mix I'm quoting above.

Here's what I hear:

Drums way too wet.
Vocals too up-front and dry.
Some of the drum fills are kind of off sounding - like they don't fit.

All this mix needs - to my ears - is some room balance. That's it. The drums, guitars, and vocals sound like they're being performed in different spaces. I think taking some of the reverb from the drums and gently applying it to the vox would get you going in the right direction.

Ok, I hesitate to chime in again as I'm not sure I'm adding much value to this, but just in case I am (and I've been following the progression), I will offer additional thoughts.

The vocals are a little clearer on 5 vs 4. I think after the 1st mix you settled on a basic, not-so-effect-laden vocal sound that works better...

As far as the instruments go, while this does rock a little more than say #2, I think you've lost some clarity and gotten a little too rumbly and/or bassy in general. Just my opinion from headphones and pc speakers, but I'd want to hear the vox as is with the instruments overall somewhere between this and mix 2.

Thanks again HeatMiser, I had to give my ears some time off from mixing-they were getting fatigued! I'll see what I can do with it this weekend.

I remember this tune. I think I might have replied in an earlier thread. I think this last mix is almost there. Vocals are up front where they should be. Guitars and bass rock!! Is that ezdrummer? It's so weird to hear other people using it sometimes because you feel like your drummer is moonlighting on you. ha ha ha :D

I think it still needs some minor adjustments. I don't get the impression that everything is in the same space. You can hear the room mics on ezdrummer, but the vocals are dry. Guitars sound good and teh bass has no high end definition, but I like it that way. The other is the overall mix can use a little boost in the 3k - 5k range.

JMHO... you rock, Tony.

Thanks a lot Dave/Chili-yep your drummer is sneaking around behind your back. I'm still new at the program though, some of the fills need worked on, like Greg stated.
Finding the right reverb might help give the mix an atmosphere I'm looking for and help it all work together.

I haven't read all the replies, so I'm listening with no pre-conceived ideas to the mix I'm quoting above.

Here's what I hear:

Drums way too wet.
Vocals too up-front and dry.
Some of the drum fills are kind of off sounding - like they don't fit.

All this mix needs - to my ears - is some room balance. That's it. The drums, guitars, and vocals sound like they're being performed in different spaces. I think taking some of the reverb from the drums and gently applying it to the vox would get you going in the right direction.

Thank you Greg-from one fine Italian to another!:D (I'm going by your last name-so I think I'm guessing right~)
Anyway, I mixed the vocal with just a touch of verb because I thought you'd say it was too wet-so I'll just tweek the reverb a little and see if it give it the feel I'm looking for!

I gotta agree with Greg - maybe you could use a mix wide reverb that puts the whole thing in one room. The balance seems good though so minor change IMO. Cool tune - your vocals are very good on this one....:cool:

I gotta agree with Greg - maybe you could use a mix wide reverb that puts the whole thing in one room. The balance seems good though so minor change IMO. Cool tune - your vocals are very good on this one....:cool:

Thanks a zillion Gerry-I need to get this one right and get back to recording some new ones. I did add some reverb to some of the vocals, adjusted a few other things and added some harmony backing vocals on some verses and the bridge after the solo. I hope I haven't added too much-hopefully all of you out there can give it a listen and comment on the additions.;)
Oh yeah, and it's always a good thing to agree with a Sicilian!!! (My people were Northern Italian grape stompers~~):D

Next mix is Siren Song Remix-2009#6
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7275177

Listening as I type.

I really like how balanced it sounds. Your voice sounds good. The reverb works well for this song.

The backing vocals fit much better up the center, my personal taste is to have them a dB or 2 higher, but they sound good like they are.

Overall, I think you got it...

The addition of the new backing vocals really adds a nice quality to the whole thing...kinda rounds it out a bit. That part of the song has really progressed nicely from the first mix to this point. Persistence :).

Listening as I type.

I really like how balanced it sounds. Your voice sounds good. The reverb works well for this song.

The backing vocals fit much better up the center, my personal taste is to have them a dB or 2 higher, but they sound good like they are.

Overall, I think you got it...

Thanks for listening again, i've always thought of backing vocals as 'background vocals' and lower them and add a much deeper reverb. I like the lead melody to stay as the main vocal with supporting vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back