Siren Song Remix-2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
Here is a remix of my song 'Siren Song'. I posted it several months back and the vocals were always too wet sounding, so I found a dry vocal track and used a short delay to double it, then added a touch of reverb.

Any comments, suggestions, or sarcasm is welcome and I hope to eventually get this song right.

This version is called Siren Song remix2009-1 and here is a link to the song-----
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7239868

I remember this tune. I think this sounds a little tighter now. It's a fun song for sure. Mix sounds pretty good as is but maybe a little soft in some way? I dunno, it just seems like it wants to rock a little more...this almost seems too polite in a way. Good performance. Guitars sound great.:)

I remember this tune. I think this sounds a little tighter now. It's a fun song for sure. Mix sounds pretty good as is but maybe a little soft in some way? I dunno, it just seems like it wants to rock a little more...this almost seems too polite in a way. Good performance. Guitars sound great.:)

Thanks for checking it out Heatmiser-I think you are right and I need some more low-mid grunt in the guitars. Maybe I need to add another rhythm using the neck pickup to fill that part out.

Thanks for the guitar compliments-the guitars were a Fender Strat and a Frankenstein Firebird copy on rhythm and a stock Epiphone Les Paul Standard on both leads thru a 15 watt tube amp.

The vox are too dry/thin for me - has a bit of distance to em but need some beef - sounds like it was recorded OFF MIC.
A bit more bass with a little more definition - perhaps some careful Blockfish compression?
I think there's a little high across the top that's missing as well as the mid low in the gits.
Not soft to me more thinned out.
It's a cool song and performance - just need to keep tweaking till you're happy.
Try a few variations of EQ tweak across the final mix perhaps.
Mix 6 has some of the beef - retrace your changes & see what you could keep.

My 2 bits..

Drum sound is letting it down.. needs a bit more punch.. And the snares a bit busy.

edit: Before I get murdered in here! By punch I mean probably compress the snare a bit and drive it.. and get the kick to cut through a bit more. The mix is lacking drive. But a great song!

The guitar sound is not sitting well in the mix. Too centered or too panned or something. It's just too up front and I hear too many imperfections where it is. The guitar sound and performance is also lacking. Those drums are very annoying and some of the fills feel wrong. I am guessing they are loops. Well, they aren't very good. I will not comment on the vox.

Thanks a lot Bubba-but more criticism and sarcasm please!!;)
And I realize I left the bridge part out of the lyric list after the 1st solo-I'll have to correct that tomorrow.

Dude, for some reason I just had no critique. Maybe it's the live'ish feel to it that just sounds right for the song.

It's just, in one, word jammin'. I know as the artist you'd like to hear more comments, I just liked this the way it opened and continued on thru.

The vox are too dry/thin for me - has a bit of distance to em but need some beef - sounds like it was recorded OFF MIC.
A bit more bass with a little more definition - perhaps some careful Blockfish compression?
I think there's a little high across the top that's missing as well as the mid low in the gits.
Not soft to me more thinned out.
It's a cool song and performance - just need to keep tweaking till you're happy.
Try a few variations of EQ tweak across the final mix perhaps.
Mix 6 has some of the beef - retrace your changes & see what you could keep.

I think you are right about tweeking the last mix, I have been away from this song for so long I forgot where the last mix left off.
I'll find mix #6 and go from there.

My 2 bits..

Drum sound is letting it down.. needs a bit more punch.. And the snares a bit busy.

edit: Before I get murdered in here! By punch I mean probably compress the snare a bit and drive it.. and get the kick to cut through a bit more. The mix is lacking drive. But a great song!

I'll pursue fattening up the drums-although they are EZDrummer and some of the sound I'm stuck with. Thanks for the compliment.

The guitar sound is not sitting well in the mix. Too centered or too panned or something. It's just too up front and I hear too many imperfections where it is. The guitar sound and performance is also lacking. Those drums are very annoying and some of the fills feel wrong. I am guessing they are loops. Well, they aren't very good. I will not comment on the vox.

I was asking for criticism, and you delivered. I'll take some of the comments into consideration....

Dude, for some reason I just had no critique. Maybe it's the live'ish feel to it that just sounds right for the song.

It's just, in one, word jammin'. I know as the artist you'd like to hear more comments, I just liked this the way it opened and continued on thru.

Bubba, I was just kidding with ya. This one goes way back to my 4track cassette days-so it's been around-I'm glad it entertained and you enjoyed it, too.:D

I re-recorded some guitar tracks and worked on the vocal tracks-new guitar parts are a Telecaster, a Firebird and a Les Paul with P-90's. That should add a little different variety to the song. Give it a listen when you can.

Below is the link-Siren Song Remix-2009#2
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7248556

Hey, I think this is really better. The guitars have a little more oomph to them, the bass seems less rumbly and the drums have a least a little more punch. You also stripped away much of the vocal fx, which I prefer in this case. By comparison, your vox on the other mix sound like a cyborg (not that it sounded that way to me at the time).

Something still sounds odd to me...the snare and particularly the cymbals have this sort of washed effect that was part of the softness I mentioned before, but they definitely sound a little beefier and better. I like the direction you're going with this mix. :) Of course, as always...take my opinions with a huge mega grain of salt.

Listened to the second mix, Tony.
Voice sounds sounds a bit buried to me maybe it should come forward some. Song has a kind of Tom Petty feel to it, I quite like it. Nice guitar work. Snare sounds a bit strange to me, it almost sounds stero, but it has an interesting ambience to it. I think with a bit more tweaking, you're gonna have a really nice song, so don't let it go!

Joe :):):):):)

Sounds cool. Bass could come up more. Didn't think that before but this one sounded like it could use a little more bass.

Hey, I think this is really better. The guitars have a little more oomph to them, the bass seems less rumbly and the drums have a least a little more punch. You also stripped away much of the vocal fx, which I prefer in this case. By comparison, your vox on the other mix sound like a cyborg (not that it sounded that way to me at the time).

Something still sounds odd to me...the snare and particularly the cymbals have this sort of washed effect that was part of the softness I mentioned before, but they definitely sound a little beefier and better. I like the direction you're going with this mix. :) Of course, as always...take my opinions with a huge mega grain of salt.

Thank you for another listen Heatmiser-I will see what I can modify with the drum loops and post the changes. Hope the weekend is going well.

Listened to the second mix, Tony.
Voice sounds sounds a bit buried to me maybe it should come forward some. Song has a kind of Tom Petty feel to it, I quite like it. Nice guitar work. Snare sounds a bit strange to me, it almost sounds stero, but it has an interesting ambience to it. I think with a bit more tweaking, you're gonna have a really nice song, so don't let it go!

Joe :):):):):)

Thanks Joey, compared to the recordings you have posted, my vocals should be buried in the mix-LOL! The weather has been changing from cold to warm lately and my voice has suffered from it-a cold just lingers on.

Thank you for the guitar comment, I took a tip from one of your recordings and panned 2 different types of guitars on each side to fill in the sound spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back