Simple multi-track recording setup advice?

Here you go, have a lot at some of this series which should hopefully give you some ideas about all in one units, multitrack interfaces (or even usb desks) and software to record and mix on.
Hit the comments if there's any specific questions you have!

Phantom power is a mixer/interface supplied voltage that runs up the mic cable to power some microphones that are made to use phantom power - kind of like an active pickup or mini preamp right in the mic.

Preamps are little amplifiers in the mixer that raise the signal level before they into the mixing channel.

A track in a mixer could very well use both, I have never seen Phantom Power without a preamp also but i have also never seen a badger.

If you are going to be doing vocal recordings and want great sound, get an interface that has phantom power and preamps. Most do - and you can always buy a stand alone preamp unit if your mixer doesnt have them or you dont like its sound - gets pricey though - but of course this is recording gear so "gets pricey" kinda goes without saying. Not that there are not inexpensive alternatives for everything :D

So are preamps and phantom power used mainly for mics or are they needed for all instruments?

And if there was a line-in port but it didn't have a pre-amp, would that mean I would have to plug the instrument into an amp and plug the amp into the line-in on the interface or would it still work plugging in directly?

Here you go, have a lot at some of this series which should hopefully give you some ideas about all in one units, multitrack interfaces (or even usb desks) and software to record and mix on.
Hit the comments if there's any specific questions you have!

Thanks, well written article.:) I'll comment if I have need any help regarding the articles.

1. So are preamps and phantom power used mainly for mics or are they needed for all instruments?

2. if there was a line-in port but it didn't have a pre-amp, would that mean I would have to plug the instrument into an amp ...

1. Phantom Power is only for mics AFAIK - preamps can be used for guitars/base anything really...
2. No - but you would probably need to boost the signal somehow, normalize the track or use a plugin or something. you usually get a better sound with a pre amp, micing an amp, or even an effects pedal.

1. Phantom Power is only for mics AFAIK - preamps can be used for guitars/base anything really...
2. No - but you would probably need to boost the signal somehow, normalize the track or use a plugin or something. you usually get a better sound with a pre amp, micing an amp, or even an effects pedal.

1. Okay, that makes sense.

2. So I could just plug my guitar straight in and use software (a plugin) to sort of amplify it? Alternatively I do actually have one small (15w) solid state amplifier which can be used for mic or guitar. If I used that on a clean channel to amplify the signal and plugged it into a line-in with no preamp, then I should be able to still plug into Garageband (or any other software) and use the effects included right?

So I could just plug my guitar straight in and use software (a plugin) to sort of amplify it? Alternatively I do actually have one small (15w) solid state amplifier which can be used for mic or guitar. If I used that on a clean channel to amplify the signal and plugged it into a line-in with no preamp, then I should be able to still plug into Garageband (or any other software) and use the effects included right?

1) If its a little 15w guitar amp you probably wont get very good vocals through it - I would go direct.

2) Any way you can get the sound into the computer you can then tweak it in Garageband. There are compressors with gain control and EQ and all kinds of plug-ins, and you can normalize or amplify tracks in every DAW I have ever seen. But an electric guitar straight into a dry input isn't going to sound that great - you really want at least an amp or an amp simulator or stompbox first. Cause even if you add distortion to a dry guitar track it will never sound like a guitar going through a hot amp or fuzz box - the sustain just isn't there. You should could use your little 15 watt amp if it has a line out or headphone jack.

I just wrote a short novel about multi-track recording, check the forum it might give you more answers - or post here - always glad to help

1) If its a little 15w guitar amp you probably wont get very good vocals through it - I would go direct.

2) Any way you can get the sound into the computer you can then tweak it in Garageband. There are compressors with gain control and EQ and all kinds of plug-ins, and you can normalize or amplify tracks in every DAW I have ever seen. But an electric guitar straight into a dry input isn't going to sound that great - you really want at least an amp or an amp simulator or stompbox first. Cause even if you add distortion to a dry guitar track it will never sound like a guitar going through a hot amp or fuzz box - the sustain just isn't there. You should could use your little 15 watt amp if it has a line out or headphone jack.

I just wrote a short novel about multi-track recording, check the forum it might give you more answers - or post here - always glad to help

Okay, I'll go direct with mics then. My amp does have a line out though which is why it could be handy (for reference it's a Roland Micro Cube) so it should work for guitar fine.

That article looks really good, I'll be sure to read it through properly before coming back with noobish questions:o

Okay, I'll go direct with mics then. My amp does have a line out though which is why it could be handy (for reference it's a Roland Micro Cube) so it should work for guitar fine.

That article looks really good, I'll be sure to read it through properly before coming back with noobish questions:o

This is the newbies forum! All noobish questions welcome!!! :D

i like those little cube amps - you should get a great guitar tone out of that.

Purchasing it and finding out yourself after the 30 day return policy, is a real bummer. Been there. :(

I've done 4 in on USB 1.x devices. Using 2x M-Audio Mobile Pres. I couldn't find the software needed to do both interfaces, but I scripted bash to launch two instances of arecord one with & to fork it. A small latency between the start of each, and the woes of syncing in post. But it was 4x inputs. Granted that I only had two mics connected (one phantom powered, one not). But it was 4x inputs. I doubt that you want to go through all that hassle and expense though.

Kinda like using vice grips on a Phillips head screw. It will work, but a shiny new screwdriver is much better huh? :)

Btw, nice workaround!

Right so looking through a few interfaces, I'm thinking the M-Audio Firewire Solo might be a good choice. I just want to confirm one thing though. On his other thread, arcadeko said it was able to do 4 in (one of which is XLR) and 4 out. Is that definitely right? It just sounds a little too good to be true at such a low price.

I generally check for software support in linux. If it exists. a) better odds of selling it. And b) better odds of a lack of driver related issues. Or having to downgrade your OS version to use it. And other black magic trickery. Although a lot of USB and Firewire devices use the exact same drivers these days. IF they're class compliant. Still something to check out before purchase though. As some are not and have their own drivers and the headaches that go with that. Firewire has the bandwidth to do a lot of tracks. And a stronger power supply.

And then there's always this:

M-AUDIO - Knowledge Base

I put a disclaimer in there - but I just got that off their site:

M-AUDIO - FireWire Solo - FireWire Mobile Audio Interface for Songwriter/Guitarists

Never actually used one before :)

Fantastic! I think I'll go with the Firewire Solo from the ad earlier. It's used but I can't imaging getting a much better price than €100 on it, especially since they seem to go for about £150 Sterling new.

Now I'll just be needing a mic or two. I would need one that has an XLR connection and one with a normal 1/4" connection (since the Firewire solo only has one XLR connection). Any decent but affordable recommendations or even places to look for reviews?

EDIT: hmm, I just noticed from the picture of the Solo on the M-Audio site that it has a switch on the front for toggling front and rear input.

FWSolo-front_RGB.jpg

Does this mean it's not actually possible to record 4 at once?

I might end up buying it anyway though...

Last edited:
Now I'll just be needing a mic or two. I would need one that has an XLR connection and one with a normal 1/4" connection (since the Firewire solo only has one XLR connection).

You can only connect one mic at a time to the Solo. The Guitar input on the front is not suitable for a mic. It looks like you could get a couple of external mic preamps or a mixer and use the line inputs on the back.

You can only connect one mic at a time to the Solo. The Guitar input on the front is not suitable for a mic. It looks like you could get a couple of external mic preamps or a mixer and use the line inputs on the back.

Isn't it possible to get mics with 1/4" connections? If not then I might have to say goodbye to the Solo.

As I mentioned over on the Introduction to Multitrack thread, I was considering the small upgrade to a Focusrite Saffire PRO 14. This should be able to record 4 tracks (including 2 mics), right?

Back