Lexicon Omega - Recording 4 Simultaneous Tracks

steelphantom

One of my brother's friends is looking at getting a USB audio interface to record into his laptop. He will be doing up to 4 tracks simultaneously (2 guitars, vocals, bass). Will the Lexicon Omega handle 4 tracks without hiccups? I'm concerned with the fact that it has USB 1.1 instead of 2.0. He can't get a FireWire interface because his laptop doesn't have a FireWire port on it.

If the Omega isn't that great, is there anything else in the ~$200 range that has 4 simultaneous inputs, at least 1 mic pre, and phantom power?

Thanks!

The thing about those lexicon interfaces is that they are 4 in but buss down to 2 outs. USB can't handle four simultaneous separate tracks. It can take 4 inputs but will only spit out a stereo signal (thus the little onboard mixer knobs). If you want more than two tracks at a time, you need something either PCI or firewire based. With a laptop, though, you are basically stuck with firewire as your only option for four separate tracks.

Last edited:
The thing about those lexicon interfaces is that they are 4 in but buss down to 2 outs. USB can't handle four simultaneous separate tracks. It can take 4 inputs but will only spit out a stereo signal (thus the little onboard mixer knobs). If you want more than two tracks at a time, you need something either PCI or firewire based. With a laptop, though, you are basically stuck with firewire as your only option for four separate tracks.

Are you sure only Stereo ?

Lexicon website says:

How many inputs can I record at the same time with the Omega?
You can record up to 4 discrete channels of audio with the Omega. All 8 of the Omega’s inputs can be mixed down onto the 4 channels to be recorded.

see http://www.lexiconpro.com/FAQ.aspx?ProductID=6

What Lexicon says their products can do and what their products actually can do are two entirely different things.

For the same money, get a Yamaha GO46.
Thanks for the Tip on the Lexicon. And it's also a 2004 product. USB 1.1

As for the Yamaha GO46, it's 2 analog + 2 digital channels. I'm looking for 4 analog + MIDI I/O. Seems likes most porducts are 2A+2D, 8 or 16 inputs, and thus more pricey.

I'm in no rush, but maybe some newer products will hit the market this fall ?

Back