Shure Sm81 . . . .vocals?

msmales555

I know that SM81s are great on cymbals and acoustic guitars, but what about vocals? Has anyone ever given the SM81 a shot on vocals?

thanks

I have one, but I've never tried it on vocals. It is a fairly flat/accurate mic and I imagine it would require a great singer in a good sounding room to pull it off. Probably great for opera and choir distance miking. For close miking of a single singer, be sure to use a pop filter and give it a go.

msmales555 said:
I know that SM81s are great on cymbals and acoustic guitars, but what about vocals? Has anyone ever given the SM81 a shot on vocals?

thanks

At on time it was the most widely used mic by male bass singers for live performance. Just screw the pop filter in place and sing low.

I once played guitar for a southern gospel quartet who used SM81's on vocals. They also had 2 Peavey Black Widow subs in their PA system. The bass singer's voice sounded like the voice of God through them.

I have also recorded vocals myself with an '81. A pop filter is a must unless you're distance miking. They are very prone to popping on vocals. But they can sound quite good.

awesome

awesome, thanks a lot everybody. ill try it out as soon as i get mine in the mail. i was going to buy a ksm27 too, but if these suffice for vocals ill hold off for now and save up for a ksm32 or 44 instead. i actually got a pair of old sm81s off of ebay for 300$. they were pretty scratched up cosmetically but the seller seemed highly reputable and assured me that there were no problems aside from the bevy of scratches.

thanks

Back