Shure SM7B

Micter

No Title
I picked up an SM7 yesterday and it sounds great set flat. It needs a boat load of gain though. Anyone try the SM7 on guitar cabs? I'd like to hear an opinion or two on that.

I use my SM7 all the time on cabs. It pretty much sounds good on anything. You're right about it requiring a lot of gain. I drive my SM7B with a Berlant Concertone tube amp that was originally made for tape machines. It's got 80+db of gain. I generally have to give the SM7 around 50-60db of gain.

Currently, it's staitioned in front of my Fender Bassman bass amp combo. I typically use a Beyer M69N for guitar cabs and the SM7B for bass. I have tried the SM7B on my Fender Pro Jr. and liked the results.

Sounds great on cabs. I usually run mine through API 512s for that. I recently picked up a Purple Audio Biz and I'm interested to see how they sound through that. They do take a lot of gain, but they sound great. You either need a preamp with lots of gain, or one that is quiet all the way up to the last click if it doesn't have as much juice. I pretty much always leave mine set flat as well. I have a pair of original SM7s and the switches are behind a screwed in plate so they aren't as easy to access to change anyway.

Well, I really want to try it on a guitar cab but haven't had the time yet. I probably won't get to it til Saturday. I don't like the mid boost on my voice but flat it's purdy good.

I use it on my vocals, running it direct into the built-in pres on Aardvark Q-10 Pro with the hi-pass switch engaged. Works fine for me.

mrbowes said:
I use my SM7 all the time on cabs. It pretty much sounds good on anything. You're right about it requiring a lot of gain. I drive my SM7B with a Berlant Concertone tube amp that was originally made for tape machines. It's got 80+db of gain. I generally have to give the SM7 around 50-60db of gain.

Currently, it's staitioned in front of my Fender Bassman bass amp combo. I typically use a Beyer M69N for guitar cabs and the SM7B for bass. I have tried the SM7B on my Fender Pro Jr. and liked the results.

Do you use it for vocals, and if so, how much gain do you normally have to give it for that?

Do you use it for vocals, and if so, how much gain do you normally have to give it for that?

Yes, I use it for vocals on occasion. The amount of gain really depends on the singer. Are we talking a screamer or a talker? Close mic'd or from a foot or two...you get what I'm saying. Also it really depends on the quality of the pre. Some pres will start to do some funky things (in good or in bad ways) when you approach max gain. It's just a matter of experimenting and finding what works best. I could give you a range, but honestly, what good does that serve?

It's definitely the neediest mic in my locker in terms of gain, and I've got a lot of mics.

Definitely not a screamer

probably ranging from on the slightly quiet side to downright almost a whisper. As close miced as possible.

anyone here have any success with the SM7 through mackie onyx preamps? i've been wanting to pick one up, but the only pres i have now are in my onyx mixer, which provides a max 60db, even though they stay pretty clean all the way to the end

OK. I just plugged one of my SM7s into an RNP - primarily because it handily indicates the amount of gain applied (and it was already plugged in). I'd say you are going to need at least in the neighborhood of 54db of gain if you want to record closed miced speaking level voices. 60db would be better. Less, of course, if you are a screamer or you are doing guitar cabs. Keep in mind that you can get right on top of the SM7 because of the integral foam pop screen. For sake of comparison, I need about 36db of gain to get equivalent levels from an AT4050.

I use it on cabs, percussion and for vocals, especially voiceover work. And yeah, it needs a shitload of clean gain. With the trim all the way up, my Avalon AD2022 puts out +65db of squeaky-clean gain, and for some softer sources, I have actually wanted more. Most of the time it uses +60db or so. And it is a wonderful mic. It is also a very underated live stage vocal mic.-Richie

Because I sometimes use the SM7 on softer sources, I've been considering getting an AEA ribbon mic pre to use with it. Two channels with 83db of gain for @$750. AEA produces nice stuff and the price is pretty reasonable in the scheme of things. Of course then I could use it with my ribbon mics too. :D

pohaku said:
Because I sometimes use the SM7 on softer sources, I've been considering getting an AEA ribbon mic pre to use with it. Two channels with 83db of gain for @$750. AEA produces nice stuff and the price is pretty reasonable in the scheme of things. Of course then I could use it with my ribbon mics too. :D
That would work really well IMO

now i know what the difference between any old mic pre and a ribbon mic version of it is.

whoa, i better check my manuals before i buy one, to make sure i can supply it with it's gain needs.

definitley a go-to mic then? hey, what the heck, why not.

any good for snare?

SM7's are/can regularly be used on snare and kick, when they aren't doing vocal duty.

And since it was brought up the AEA TRP rocks my world with my shiny box ribbon, ok maybe a overstatement but it seems like a good buy, I think we paid $699 for it from fullcompass. Oh, and I have used it with a SM57 on vocals, very FULL and clean gain. Not as colored as my VTB-1s, I know some may call the VTB-1s something other then colored, but its the best I can do. Just be warned if you missed it the AEA TRP does not have phantom power, so its good for ribbon mics, tube mics that have their own power supply that don't need phantom, and dynamic mics. And no DI either, just clean, FULL, nice gain.

Back