Shure SM58 Mic playback only coming out of one ear after recording.

The Inebirati

Hi guys,

I'm using a Shure SM58, Cubase LE 5, and a Lexicon Alpha audio interface.

When recording into Cubase using my mic it only records in the left input, so when I play it back I only get sound through one speaker.
When I use the mic without recording and just talk into it and listen through my Lexicon Alpha it comes through in both speakers.

I've tried both the 'mono' and 'stereo' settings on the Lexicon. I've checked my input settings in Cubase and all my instrument tracks record through the Lexicon perfectly fine as well.

I've found that it records in both speakers when using a VST program such as Guitar Rig, but then the recording is incredibly quiet, no matter how much I turn up the sound.

Recording without the VST effect gives me the sound I want anyway, I just need to solve this stupid recording issue.

Create a mono track for mono sources. You have stereo a stereo track that is looking for 2 inputs. Project>Add Track>Audio...>check that 'Configuration' button and select 'Mono'.

Instrument tracks do not have anything to do with the Lexicon as far as input goes. The 'Mono/Stereo' button on the Lexicon does nothing to change the input to Cubase. Only for monitoring direct sound into the unit.

Then select another source. If your mic is plugged into channel 2 and you have channel 1 selected, it will record nothing.

And wouldn't you know, I did that yesterday. :facepalm: Recording a school band with 4 mics. I was in a rush to set up and forgot to set channel assignments. All 4 tracks recorded from one mic. :(

{Edit} Just saw it was a Lexicon Alpha. But still, check your channel assignments to be sure you have the correct source selected. I'm talking about in the "Inspector" part of the timeline, not VST Connections.

This^^^.

You likely need to change the input to Mono In 2. :)

Attachments

• Input selection.JPG
    Input selection.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 100
"And wouldn't you know, I did that yesterday. Recording a school band with 4 mics. I was in a rush to set up and forgot to set channel assignments. All 4 tracks recorded from one mic."

And don't do ^^this^^

:)

Back