Shure SM57?

Astralfeedbackm

I want a decent microphone for recording guitar amps/bass amps. The book I'm reading "Big Studio Secrets for Home Recording and Production", say's that the shure sm57 is a good work horse mic. Anyone have any good reviews?

Don't need a review. Just get one. It's the right thing to do.

I guess that was a review of sorts. :)

Jimmy

If I could own only one mic (god forbid!) it would likely be a SM57. Works well for anything from vocals to drums.

yup...the 57 is one of my staples.

It does a lot of things but not all of them well.

Like I've only used the 57 on vocals once and that was because I wanted a "dirtier" sound.

Works great on distorted guitar cabs but not so well for acoustic guitars.
Great on a snare but not so good on kick. And as far as bass guitar, yeah you can get decent results but if I had....say a D112 or a Beta 52....either one of them would be my first choice OR just going DI on the bass OR blending the mic'd bass cab and DI signal.

I'd still make sure I had at least one 57 in my locker tho.

:drunk:

If your going for guitar cabs only why not go with an inexpensive ribbon mic you'll be a lot more happier!!!!
MXL R144 for one example. --- about $80.

I kinda like the Sennheiser e609 or e906 and can't wait to get my hands and ears on the new Sennheiser MK4!!!!

If your going for guitar cabs only why not go with an inexpensive ribbon mic you'll be a lot more happier!!!!
MXL R144 for one example. --- about $80.

I kinda like the Sennheiser e609 or e906 and can't wait to get my hands and ears on the new Sennheiser MK4!!!!

Just did some diggin around on the MXL R144 and the MK4. Looks like another couple of mics for my locker, MSDude ;)

"MoreSound...Bringer of G.A.S."

:p

Just did some diggin around on the MXL R144 and the MK4. Looks like another couple of mics for my locker, MSDude ;)

"MoreSound...Bringer of G.A.S."

:p
I didn't even mention the new EV RE320!!!!

:laughings: Now repeat after me *I must own everything, I must own everything*

There's lots of mics that do great on cabs.

However that may be, everyone will agree that an SM57 is a mic you will be using on lots of things, now and in the future. It's innevitable that you will buy one eventually.

I'd buy a 57 as a starting point, experiment with it. Use the 57 up close and one of your condensers further away, or at the back of the cab. See what cool sounds you can get.

You'll be buying more mics anyway, trust me, it's addictive :drunk:

(Buy Shures from an autherised dealer though, there's lot's of Chinese knock offs around.)

57s are handy for recording drums, guitar, bass, vocals, and a slew of other things.

They are also useful as hammers and bludgeoning weapons to use against intruders.

Back