Shure Beta Series

MX3282

I'd like to know what everyone thinks of the Shure Beta series of drum mics.
I have two Beta 56a's and a Beta 52a Kick mic. I'm hoping to invest in some C4's for overheads and a Shure 57 for my snare. Right now I'm using the Shure 58 as a 57 and I'm using my 56a's as overheads. Only cause I have two of em.

I did a search for the Beta 56a's but there wasn't alot mentioned about them.
I thought this post would help shed some light on these mics for myself as well as for others.

Regarding the Beta 52a's, there are comparisions made between the D112 and the Beta 52a. Some prefer one over the other.

I've used beta 52's and d112's a lot. They are definitely different. I think more people like the d112, but in my opinion it just depends on the situation. I've gotten some great sounds out of the 52 when the d112 sounded pretty crappy.

As for the overheads, I'd probably go with something different than the 56's from what I know about them. If you're looking to go cheap, I've had good experience with the mxl603's and the octava mk012's.

On the kick, I had the D112 and traded it for the Beta 52a. I. personally like the 52 better, but it does depend on the situation. If I'd had the money at the time, I woulda kept em both. On OH's, I'm using a pair of the KSM 109's. I'm sure there are better mics for the job but these are working pretty well for me. Worth checking out, for sure. On the snare, a 57.
FWIW
Peace................Kel

I've got 57s, 58s, 98s, 56s, a 91 and a 52. I pretty much like them all. There are a lot of mics I'd rather use than a 52, but when it's the right mic it's great.

I like the 56 a lot, I use it on toms, guitar cabs, percussion, and horns.

Back