Should I buy it?

If the cracks are really small, it'll probably sound OK.... for awhile. You can try the old "drill a small hole just past where the crack ends to keep it from spreading" trick, but eventually it'll be scrap. I'll bet you can get $20 worth of playing out of it, though.

herostyle said:
So should I? or its not worth it? I mean I didn't know cracks could spread that fast.
Well that depends on your playing style. If you're a basher it'll go pretty quickly. If you play light jazz it'll last a lot longer. If you've got $20 you're not gonna wish you had later, get it.

If the cracks run with the grain, that cymbal is doomed, drilling won't even stop it. If the cracks run against the grain, it'll probably be OK, as long as you drill them properly. Oh, with the grain means the cracks go around the cymbal, against the grain would mean the cracks are going towards the center or edges; straight.

Here's where I am the dissenting vote.
Don't waste your money on it.

Take that $20 and bank it, and add to it every week, in a while you will have have enough money to buy the cymbal that you want, rather than just what you "can afford at the moment"(actually you can't afford to be throwing your money away on somebody elses garbage.)

I wish I knew there were people out the gullible enoughto buy broken cymbals - I literally threw away a stack of about 10 of them. Even the scrap metal place didn't want them!

Tim

random.hero said:
thats a deal. buy it, but yeah drill a very small hole. if u wont buy it. pfff i will

Spoken like a guy trying to sell a broken cymbal. :rolleyes:

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:
I wish I knew there were people out the gullible enoughto buy broken cymbals - I literally threw away a stack of about 10 of them. Even the scrap metal place didn't want them!

HAHA. I'm but no means gullible, and I sometimes buy "expensive" cymbals that are cracked. I have access to a plasma cutter, and I like experimenting with different cymbal sizes/shapes/etc. :cool:

jaykeMURD said:
HAHA. I'm but no means gullible, and I sometimes buy "expensive" cymbals that are cracked. I have access to a plasma cutter, and I like experimenting with different cymbal sizes/shapes/etc. :cool:

No (unless you have nothing).

naa, i just have experiences, good experiences, with cracked cymbals. Usually u can buy em for incredibly cheap, and drill a hole or two, and not affect the sound a lot

random.hero said:
naa, i just have experiences, good experiences, with cracked cymbals. Usually u can buy em for incredibly cheap, and drill a hole or two, and not affect the sound a lot

Anybody ever try welding cracked cymbals?

it does affect ure sound slightly nothin to horrible..

But cracks are a pain in the behind !

id leave it!

I am a very "hard hitter" and I have a couple A customs that have cracks. I love the sound of the A's but they just don't hold up to my playing. If you want them, you can have them. I will check to find them and let you know the size(s). I believe one is a 16". You just pay the shipping. How's that for help??

FWIW.... I bought an 18" early 80's Zildjian crash for $20 that had a hairline crack in it. I only use it for shows and recording to help prolong it's life, but I gotta tell ya - by far and away one of my favorite crashes EVER.

I also own at least 2 chinese style cymbals that are cracked and it actually makes them sound better, and trashier. Again, FWIW.... I've cracked a few in my time, and also bought cracked, sometimes drilling works and prolongs the life for a little while longer, sometimes it doesn't. It's your 20 bucks :-)

From Sigur Ros's web site:

"the cymbal in ný batterí is a cymbal that they found on a street downtown that was bent and had apparently been driven over. they liked the way it sounded and wrote the song from there."

Back