She's 12

This song needs 10 stars!:D
Sounds like early Tanya Tucker,when she was great.

Wow,playing AND singing,I wish I could do that!:)

You said you want comments on the vocal lines,so hears what I heard.
You missed the word "dark" at 00:26
A little flat on the word "was" at 1:17
The word "before"skips? at 2:35

I think the high scream at 2:44 is a little too much.

Please don't get me wrong,your vocal quality and delivery are great,definitly pro calibre.
I just nitpicked cause your dad said you wanted to learn,so blame him!:D

Really nice job,I think you owe your dad a big hug,he's a great guy!

Best to you,
Pete

I could nit pick at stuff, but why bother..

If I could play/sing anything near that good at 12, I wouldn't still be such a hack.. :p

Very good stuff. I'm sure we'll be hearing more from her in the future.

WATYF

Damn Chris,
......You must be one proud daddy man, your little girl is impressive. ......... If you guys ever want to put this up for contributions, I would be honored to throw down some bass. ......she's like a 12 yo alanis......

.......all of that heart kicked my ass man.........

.......serious little girl. ...did she write the song?

G .......with a big ole smile on my face!!!!

........a few listens later,

....very impressed. A very deserved 5 stars for the little girl w/ a whole ton of talent. .....I admire the way you arent leading her into this stuff man, .....but you know its inevitable.

.....great song too.

Guernica said:
........a few listens later,

....very impressed. A very deserved 5 stars for the little girl w/ a whole ton of talent. .....I admire the way you arent leading her into this stuff man, .....but you know its inevitable.

.....great song too.

all of what you said is true......but....are yours and chriss's avatars ..related ?.....:D

jamal...(wishes he could sing like jaimee).....

Man she can sing and play very well. Im sure as her dad you will help her develope her vocals to perfection. She already is a very tight guitar player. Wish I could sing and play guitar at the same time. Wish I could sing period....... She could do any style of music with her voice. Im just curious as to what she listens to. What type of music does she want to sing? I have a 19 year old singer that listens to Britney and pop stuff, but she wants to do some hard rock singing with me. So shes been listening to Heart and Drain STH.... Keep a close eye on your daughter. She's to good for her own good.......I have a 13 year old daughter, by the way....
Myx

My god... Unbelievable... I don't think I can add anything to any of these replies, but man. I don't really know the working of the music biz, but get her out there. I am really blown away. sheesh... BTW, very mature voice for a 12 year old... same goes for the guitar playing... Most pop stars couldn't even do that.... :)

Chris (and Jaimee) -

This is truely beautifull. She dfoesn't sound 12 to me. I worked with kids a lot during the last 2 summers and I'm always amazed to see how much talent kids have at such ages. I'm also truely impressed by her taste in music.
Keep it up! We'd all want to hear more!

Oren

Amazing....my parrents haven't entered my room for about a year or so, but now I invited them in, to have a listen.....
she's great

wow. regardless of age, the performance was excellent. you must be very proud, Chris. Hell, I don't know you from Adam or her from Eve, and I'm proud of her!

Jaimiee, you're a talented young lady. Use your gift for good and not evil and everything will be just fine. also, be proud and greatful for such an awesome and talented dad.

I was really impressed with the song dynamics. That's a hard thing for most musicians to learn at any age and experience.

Nice job you two. Being a dad of 4 step kids and one on the way, this motivated me to get them more involved in music.

Just jumped in here to see what all the fuss was about...and man did I find out! Jaimee i'm just thirteen..wanna go get married:D . Wow chris, i know your proud of her..who would'nt be. Jaimee, I really enjoyed your singing and playing alot, and i can tell it's coming from the heart, keep it there and you'll go as far as you like...Thanks David

Awesome. Great singing, and others have mentioned the guitar playing too. That's a whole lot of talent for a little kid.

I teach middle school, and I'm amazed by my kids sometimes, and if one of them came in and did this, my jaw would drop to the floor.

Again... Awesome.

(And just as a funny coincidence, I once wrote a verse and chorus of a reggae tune about 10 years ago called, "Sweet Lorraine." lol)

Speechless...

WOW! Don't Change A Thing! All you need is a red guitar, three chords and the truth...And I think you have it! I'll be looking for you and watching for your name because someday you're going to be a star!

Chris -- You are very lucky and blessed to have such a talented daughter!

I'm gonna quit blubbering now and just keep listening! This absolutely blew me away!

:) :) :)

actually 4 chords.......

as myx62, im curious what she listens to and what inspires her.......

btw, ive listened to it at least 50 times and it still floors me......

No matter what Dad says.....................................
Hire a Pro as a Manager.....................Dad has NO connections!

Wonderful job!

5 Star effort!

Joel

You're gonna get to retire early!!

Yeah Dad..... keep her into it and she's gonna take care of you with her millions of $$$ she's gonna get. You need to start thinking about body guards and tour mangers and ?? well ahead of time.

OH MY GOD!! She's incredible for any age! She kills what's her name from American Idol. Jaimee has sole in her voice. That's really her playing the guitar to?

I give up! :)

RF

man,.. that kid is gonna have one seriously fat head after reading all of this... :D ;) :p

WATYF

WATYF said:
man,.. that kid is gonna have one seriously fat head after reading all of this... :D ;) :p

WATYF

she deserves her props.....

as long as she listens to Uncle Gidge's earlier advice : "Keep the music coming FROM the heart, no matter where it takes you TO".....

So cool...

People...thank you so much. I showed her the thread about :20 minutes ago, and (after she punched me in the arm for posting it without telling her), she got really excited. She's typing out her replies right now, and I'll post that as soon as she's done.

A couple of words, in the meantime...

Fed: Thanks for your comments. I hope Jaimee grows up to sing as well as your wife! It's getting harder and harder to find "age appropriate" material that my daughter likes enough to sing. Actually, it's becoming difficult for us to find time to sing and play at all, so I don't quibble over the material if it's a little too old for her. :D :D

Muzeman - You nailed most of what I'd heard...except for that pop that was in the MP3. It wasn't in the wav, so I re-converted it and I think it's okay now. Anyway, when I tell her she's flat, she won't listen; I appreciate the unbiased remarks. Thank you for your kind words to BOTH of us ;)

WATYF - the "why bother" part of your post worried me for a minute...like maybe you thought I wouldn't take your advice...then I thought..."naw, WATYF watches me fix all my songs at least 10 times, he knows I'm trying."... So I'll just say "thanks" on behalf of Jaimee.

Guernica - Wow...how incredibly cool of you. I don't wanna' take up any of your time that might otherwise be spent creating totally cool recordings like your current offering, but if you really wanted to take a crack at some bass on this, I think she'd be floored. Tough job, btw, since she didn't use a metronome. Jaimee's started writing some (which I TOTALLY encourage), but this one is a song by an artist named Patty Griffin. I took my daughter to see her and a bunch of other bands last weekend in Austin, and Jaimee bought one of her CD's and immediately learned 4 tunes off of it. She was playing this last Sunday morning, and I thought it'd be a good one to record. Thank you so much.

Jamal - she loved the pic, dude. Very cool and funny. Thanks.

Myx62 - My sympathies are with you (you have a daughter about the same age :D). Jaimee's like me...her CD collection looks kinda' like the $2.00 "bargain bin" of CD's at Best Buy. It includes everything from Buddy Holly to Eminem. She's always loved Fleetwood Mac, and has every CD (I only have "Rumors?"). She listens to some country (JoDee Macina, Martina McBride, Faith Hill), and basic top 40 bubblegum stuff too. The coolest thing about her, I think, is that we never argue over what to listen to on the radio. A good song is a good song, regardless of genre, and I totally dig that she gets that. It bothers me none that she listens to Eminem, for example, because the guy has a gift...foul language never killed anybody, and my parents wasted a bunch of energy worrying over the fact that I listened to Ozzy. It's just music. :D

soundprizm - thank you for listening and commenting. I hope she keeps it up, but I don't wanna' push her. If she wants to go for the brass ring when she's grown, she can still try. I don't know any kids who've had recording careers that have ended up anywhere NEAR "normal," and I sure don't want her blaming me in some therapy session in 20 years!!! Thanks again.

Aren - Thanks... Kids rock. Last weekend, I took her to a music festival (5 stages), and we watched Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Nickel Creek, Los Lobos, Eric Johnson, and about 15 other bands. We only had a serious disagreement about 1 of them. :D

Roker 1- Man, very cool of you. Glad to hear the generation gap's getting closed around your casa. Again, thanks a ton.

JR#97 - My God... almost 5 kids in the house??? Ya'll had BETTER have some music around for sanity's sake!! :D :D Your post meant a lot to me personally, as a parent and a musician...so thanks.

DAVID - Keep your hands off!!! :D
(Jaimee will respond in a bit)

KaBudokan - so, you're right there on the front lines, eh? Both of my parents taught, and I think it's a very nobel and tough and totally underappreciated profession. Thanks so much for your kind words.

boydrj - thanks man. I do feel lucky (and cursed), pretty much like any parent, I suppose. :D Thanks for dropping by.

OKAY GIDGE - You get a special spot in this one. I am so totally hyped about your monitoring of this thread and your incredibly supportive comments, that I just have to single you out and say, THANK YOU!!!!!. I try to encourage her, but neutral 3rd party feedback like yours means more to her at this age than anything I could say or do. You're keeping the motivational fires burning, and that's just very cool of you. As far as her musical influences, I alluded to them up in my response to myx62, but like most music-lovers, I think she's influenced by great songs, no matter who does them or in what genre they happen to fall.

Jaimee should be about done...I'll paste her responses in here in a bit.

Thanks again, folks...I didn't expect to feel so damned proud and stuff... sappy me.

Bye

Gidge said:
as long as she listens to Uncle Gidge's earlier advice : "Keep the music coming FROM the heart, no matter where it takes you TO".....
lol... "Uncle Gidge"... listen to us talkin' like a bunch of old farts... :D

oh wait....

some of us are old farts....

:p

(no names mentioned of course..) :D

Chris... sorry if that came out wrong.. basically I meant, "I could sit here and try to pick apart her every syllable, but quite frankly, she's very talented and has a very strong voice for her age, and the fact that she could have hit a few lead in notes a little stronger (or whatever) is kind of irrelevant."

I meant it as a compliment.. :p

But if you want... I could do my usual "anal" analysis of the tune and let you know which phrases she should re-take... :p :cool: I just didn't think it was necessary.

If you were doing a serious recording (a la "a demo" or something) then you would prolly "comp" her vocal, in which case you'd have a number of takes from which to select the best phrases (or even singular words).. but because this was a "one-take" thing, missing a syllable here and there isn't really that big of a deal. Trust me... if she can sing just like this live, then she'll be 10 times better then most "recording artists" out there today (who have the benefit of multiple studio takes, vocal comp'ing, autotune, etc. etc. etc.) and who don't sound nearly as good live as they do on their albums.

I'd say that a good balance would be that we can be honest that she's got a truck-load of talent, while at the same time pointing out to her that she should never assume she's "the stuff" and that she should always analyze her performances to see how she can do better in the future. There's a couple places in this tune I woulda retook, only cause I know that she could pull it off even better with a little preparation. (i.e. better breathing technique... blah blah blah)

But this is all "over-analysis"... :p

The simple response is... "D@mn,..!! she's good." :D

WATYF

(pardon my language in front of the children.. :p )

Back