Setting Up My Home Studio

ronaldscott11

Alright everybody, my home recording has progressed a lot in terms of hardware and software, but I am still struggling to get the ball rolling. I am having a hard time setting up my equipment, and I wanted to ask for some kind of guidance. My neighbor has given me a Boss Dr. Rhythm Dr-880 Drum Machine, installed Cubase Se3 on my computer, also given me an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra Audio interface, and I have a Casio CPS-700 digital keyboard that I want to use as my MIDI controller, but I do not know how to set all of these things up together in unison. I know I may not have provided enough information, but can anybody help me, please?

Take the audio out(s) from the DR-880, plug them into 2 line-ins on the M-Audio. Not sure what the CP-700 has for MIDI - MIDI connector or USB? If its a MIDI connector, you can plug it into the M-Audio, if not, USB from it to your computer. M-Audio USB form it to your computer.
In Cubase you will select the M-Audio as your input/output device, and either it or the keyboard as the MIDI device (depending on how you have plugged it in).

Get that going then come back and ask more specific questions.

The Cp-700 has MIDI connectors, the same as the DR-880. Also, I'm confused with the MIDI in/out cables. One of the connectors is red, the other grey. Which one is for in and which one is for out? (Also, sweet ReverbNation page, btw.)

You'll most likely want to record the audio from the DR-880 (unless you want to record the MIDI to edit or drive a VSTi like EZ Drummer).
I'm not sure about your MIDI cables, or the CP700 connectors, could not find anything on that model on the Casio site. The CP700's MIDI jacks should be labeled (in, out, thru).

Back