Setting up 5.1 for audio/video work.

robains

I'm currently working on a project where I want to do 5.1 surround sound. My home studio is certainly not "ideal" by any stretch of the imagination ... we're looking into a larger home where I can build a dedicated space for audio/video studio. But for now, I'm working within my confines which consists of this setup:

VideoAudio-Workstation.jpg

VideoAudio-Workstation2.jpg

A bit of a crowded mess ... but I'm using a 6 channel field recorder to augment my video work. I have 5 studio monitors and a sub running thru a MOTU 828 (2024). The sub is currently piggybacked off the main L/R outs (with HPF and LFP80 set on sub and monitors LFP80). This is where I need some input/help ... MOTU recommends routing the sub out from channel 6 rather than piggyback from main outs L/R ... so channel layout is Ch1 - Front L, Ch2 - Front R, Ch3 - Rear L, Ch4 - Rear R, Ch5 - Center, Ch6 Sub. For content creation of 5.1 I assume this is the correct way per MOTU??

My other question ... in the past for setting the audio/monitors levels I simply used a dB meter with mic on a tripod in my chair pointing up and then generated pink noise via PC and output the noise to each monitor (L,R,LR,RR,C,S) and took readings and adjust levels as needed. However, is there a better way ... I was looking at Audio Analyzer AudioControl DM-RTA to see if this was a better tool to make adjustments and would love to get some input.

I don't pretend to be an expert, just things I've put together over the years.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm currently working on a project where I want to do 5.1 surround sound. My home studio is certainly not "ideal" by any stretch of the imagination ... we're looking into a larger home where I can build a dedicated space for audio/video studio. But for now, I'm working within my confines which consists of this setup:

View attachment 136574

View attachment 136577

A bit of a crowded mess ... but I'm using a 6 channel field recorder to augment my video work. I have 5 studio monitors and a sub running thru a MOTU 828 (2024). The sub is currently piggybacked off the main L/R outs (with HPF and LFP80 set on sub and monitors LFP80). This is where I need some input/help ... MOTU recommends routing the sub out from channel 6 rather than piggyback from main outs L/R ... so channel layout is Ch1 - Front L, Ch2 - Front R, Ch3 - Rear L, Ch4 - Rear R, Ch5 - Center, Ch6 Sub. For content creation of 5.1 I assume this is the correct way per MOTU??

My other question ... in the past for setting the audio/monitors levels I simply used a dB meter with mic on a tripod in my chair pointing up and then generated pink noise via PC and output the noise to each monitor (L,R,LR,RR,C,S) and took readings and adjust levels as needed. However, is there a better way ... I was looking at Audio Analyzer AudioControl DM-RTA to see if this was a better tool to make adjustments and would love to get some input.

I don't pretend to be an expert, just things I've put together over the years.

Cheers, Rob.
I don't have experience with 5.1, so I can't help there -- but welcome, and as a (budding) video editor, your DaVinci setup is 🔥🔥🔥

My video work is firmly stereo, but I have to say 5.1 is intriguing. With the centre speaker being so important for speech, it just occurred to me that your space could be rotated, putting the centre speaker in the corner? You’d have windows nearly symmetrical left and right and handy walls for the rears? In my audio studio, I was facing a wall in a long but thin space, and for an experiment, I put the mix position in the middle, and rotated ninety degrees, facing down the long length with space behind me and behind the monitors. It made a huge difference for the better. Your space is busy, my video studio is similar - full of ‘stuff’. I’m still on Adobe, BUT Premier has now decided my three year old PC is too old, and I’m stuck without more updates, and I have to buy a new PC to replace a perfectly good, quite speedy one!

Last edited:
. MOTU recommends routing the sub out from channel 6 rather than piggyback from main outs L/R ... so channel layout is Ch1 - Front L, Ch2 - Front R, Ch3 - Rear L, Ch4 - Rear R, Ch5 - Center, Ch6 Sub. For content creation of 5.1 I assume this is the correct way per MOTU??

Everyone recommends being able to independently control your Sub -
Is your dB Meter C Weighted? - Your method is the way most small studios do it - Because your room is relatively small - set your dB meter for 78db for the front 3 speakers and Sub - and 75db for the back two speakers - then take a movie you know really well and play it while you listen -it should sound correct if you set your speakers right.

Back