setting up 2 soundcards-help

gtar02

I just bought another soundcard for my computer because I wanted 4 inputs to record with. I am using a cheap chaintech sound card, and had no trouble with sing it and the onboard sound for 4 inputs, except for a different latency with the onboard audio, so I bought another chaintech sound card that was identicle so they would have the same latency. I installed it fine, and disabled the onboard sound, but when I went to set it up in inuendo I had problems. I ran the hardware setup for ASIO configuration on the first card fine, but when I start it on the second one, the computer restarts. Any ideas?

I checked it out some more and they are sharing irq's, but It wont let me change them. Does anyone know how to do this in XP?

I did this in Windows 2000 a couple years ago with 3 cards (6 inputs), and it was a complete nightmare.

After finally getting (tricking) ASIO config to function with all 3 simultaneously, the audio would "drift" after 2 1/2 minutes.

I can totally relate to trying to save a buck, but it's not worth it in the end. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

okay, I stand corrected. It was Win98 and Sonar (long time ago).

From this thread, it looked to be successful, but it didn't work out so well recording actual content across all 6 tracks.

To answer your question, I believe you'll need to disable ACPI in WinXP to prevent IRQ sharing (on IRQ 9, I think), but that can be a nightmare too. There's a thread about that here somewhere.

Long story short, it's not worth it IMO. I have a C-Port now and couldn't imagine going back.

It is definately not worth it! There is a good chance you will never be able to get it to work. Just save yourself the headache and get a multichannel soundcard.

You're right. Right after I posted the first one I tried all that. I tried turning off acpi, but the computer wouldn't even start up. I've played with the irqs and that didn't work. Now I have to find a new soundcard, but that leaves me with another problem because my motherboard has the via kt133a chipset, so I'm worried a card (like the delta 44) wouldn't work very well. I would have to get a new motherboard. Does anyone know of cards that don't have an issue with this chipset, and if so would it cost so much that it would be cheaper for me just to get another motherboard and a new soundcard?

What are you running for a processor right now? These days, it's often better to just buy a new mobo, ram, processor ...

I have a 1.2 ghz athlon with 512mb of ram. I looked at some of the options I have with motherboards that have sdram dimms (thats what I have now and I would like to spend as little as possible for now) have either SiS or Ali magik 1 chipsets but thats only for an asus motherboard

Back