Set Ups

My stuff:

I’m playing a early 80's Gretsch kit. Wood Snare 14" x 6.5", Bass drum 24" x 16", rack tom 14" x 12", two floor toms, 18" x 16".

Snare has aquarian batter head with Evans Hazy resonant. 14 count Puresound snare wires.
Toms have aquarian double thin coated heads, with clear resonant.
Bass has aquarian superkick II with regulator front head with 7" offset hole. No internal muffling.

Hi hats are 14" K custom dark Zildgian. Ride is 20" Paiste Dry Heavy. Crash/Ride is 20" Istanbul.

Hi hat and pedal are Drum workshop, older delta models. Pedal has been modified for a nylon strap. Rack tom mounted on DW snare stand. Snare on dw snare stand Two Ludwig short boom cymbal stands. Meinl cowbell on hoop mount. Gibralter throne.

Next?

'Spose I might as well throw in an odd one... Hart Studio BX kit (2 racks, 2 floors), Gibraltar rack and hardware, Hart Accusnare, 4 Series X crash triggers, 2 Series X splash triggers, Series X hat and dual-zone ride, Series X kick with my good old DW5000 dual pedal. Hart Multipad, 1 Hart Hammer and 3 Pintech Nimrod triggers for the odd percussion stuff. Roland TD10-TDW1 and Alesis DM5 modules, and an Alesis 12R mixer and Lexicon MPX100 in the electronics rack.

You didn't want to hear about E-drums? Well, my old acoustic kit consists of a black 20" Slingerland kick circa 1960, a silver sparkle Slingerland 14x5" snare circa 1954, a blue satin 12" Ludwig rack tom from about 1970, a mahogany butcherblock Sonor 13" rack from about the same time, a red sparkle Premier 16" floor from the late 60s, and a maple Fibes 18" floor of completely unknown vintage. Guess I just liked the combination of sounds... Hardware is Heinz 57 as well- goes without saying. Don't have any cymbals newer than about 1975 when I bought the last of them, except for the 8" and 10" Zildjian thin splashes- they die too often. 14" New Beat hats (which I guess are old beats now...), 20" ping ride, 18" medium crash ride, 16" thin crash, 18" thin crash, 18" china, 20" pang, 18" Sears toy-kit ride that's been rehammered into a sort of hemidemisemi "china-like" thing. All cymbals are original Zildjians, except for the Sears abomination, and an 8" Paiste 2002 heavy bell. And then there's the pandemonium- 6", 8", and 10" revereware saucepans (copper bottoms and all), hung upside down on an aluminum rack that also features 2 cowbells, the 8" splash, and the 8" bell, just to the left of the hat.

No, I'm not making that up- the Multipad is my E-kit replacement for the pandemonium. The acoustic kit hasn't been out of its cases in over 10 years, though. I just play E-drums nowadays.

What, you say drums are supposed to _match_? *Balderdash*, says I... (;-)

CJ

The Puresound wires are really nice. I switched this about a year ago. I'm not sure how to talk about the sound without sounding like an advertisement and throwing cliches around. The "crack" of the drum is very controlled and quick, which I'm able to get without choking the snot out of the snare wires, leaving the drum with a nice ring to it. How much is due to the puresounds? Some, to be sure. They are very well put together, with a nice smooth, flat surface so they rest against the resonant head well. My snare came with a 20 count snare wire, so cutting down to 14 probably has something to do with this as well. By contrast, I have a Ludwig Supraphonic with a 40 count snare on it, and the buzz seems to last forever. Worth the price? Ummmm. I'd buy them again, no question. I still struggle with my tuning, but these make it easier to make the drum sound better. Cost to benefit ratio is probably high, but I think they're worth it.

Skippy,
I'd love to see a picture of that kit. A friend of mine in college subscribed to that approach - very cool. I've always liked kits that get to the stage where you don't have to baby them like an antique.

I don't think I have any surviving pictures from my acoustic days, and if my wife saw me breaking those puppies out of the cases there might be a certain amount of *drama*... (;-) I'll dig around and see, though.

Treat 'em like antiques? I probably should have, but I was much younger then. The kick is the only surviving part of my original black Slingerland kit. Too much banging around gigging in the late 70s and early 80s saw both original rack toms die outright. The 60's-era Slingerland rack tom hardware was never intended for Neanderthals like me, and the shells delaminated right at the mount plates after years of thrashing. As did a Pearl 12" rack that was my first replacement, come to think of it. And the original floor tom was stolen from a gig...

I replaced the Slingerland rack tom hardware with the then-new Yamaha holders in about 1977, and they proved to be *much* more gentle on the shells. There's better hardware available now, but I think I'll leave it alone... It's earned its rest.

Luckily, at the time all this was going on, I was living in the student ghetto on Hemenway Street in Boston right around the corner from Jack's Drum Shop (on Boylston at Mass. Ave.). So, I'd just go in, play some of the loose drums they had in stock, find a sound I liked, and haggle with them until they got tired of me and let me have it for a price I could afford (which was never very much). It never occurred to me that the shells didn't match...

I hope that Jack's is still there. That shop was one of the greatest resources I've ever known. Damn, you know right now I could really use a roast beef-wilted-lettuce-pepper-and-grease sub from Little Stevie's, and then a quick turn next door to Jack's to see what's shakin'...

My POS:

Coda Drums (dont even ask) - They are 9 ply birch/basswood or something. 22" kick, 12" + 13" racks, and 16" floor. 14"x7" steel snare, and a $14" x 6" maple piccolo. Some random 20" kick I bought for like $50. Have the kit set up with the 1 rack on the left hand side of the right kick, the other one off a cymbal stand to the first rack's left. the other kick kinda sits underneath the cymbal stand mounted tom. Sabian AAX Stage 16" and 18" crash, 21" ride, and 14" hats. Sabian Chinese (I think it's an AA, but it doesn't say on it), and the most fucking uncomfortable drum stool ever made. For a $300 kit, with muffling and some tuning expertise, I got em sounding better then any Export type set I've ever heard by FAR.

Jake

my setup

Hello everyone,

I'm really new here. I've been playing drums for about 3 years now. Here's my setup:

Blue Mapex Venus Series Kit

I believe the heads are low cost evans, which bought as pre pack for cheap (~30 for snare, 2 toms, and floor tom). The sound I'm getting out of them is fine since I'm not a professional and I don't really plan on recording my set anytime soon.

I have an old Pearl double kick pedal. I really have no idea of it's retail value, but I snagged it for 100$ and it works great.

I'm a big Sabian fan, so I have the Sabian Pro Hi Hats, Crash, and a B8 Pro ride which suits my needs perfectly. I also have a really nice Paiste splash.

And last but not least, the most important part of my kit. It's an old throw rug which keeps everything from sliding away.

:) gabe :) :D

Hey, here's my set:

5 piece Pearl Export
15" Zildjian A Custom Crash
16" ZBT Crash
8" Sabian AAX Splash
20" Zildjian ZBT Ride
14" ZBT HiHats

The ZBT hats and ride dont sound that bad, but the crash sucks, im gonna replace it eventually with a 16" A Medium-Thin Crash. Tom heads are coated REMO Ambassadors, snare is a Aquarian Power dot (i think), and for bass drum: REMO Power Stroke 3, the BEST bass drum heads EVER. :)

Set up

My "good drums" are a Premier Genista (Birch) with 10", 12" & 14" toms and a 20" kick, supplemented with Toca mini-timbales. Sabian HH cymbals (except for Zildian 13" Custom Dark hi-hats and Wuhan for china - love those Wuhans). These drums record very nicely and the Sabians also record nicely.

I have V-drums with the TD-10 (not upgraded with the TDW yet) which I use only for recording (in studios that don't have a decent drum room and/or mics) I also trigger an Alesis D4 and or a Sequential Circuits TOM (real old drum machine) for certain sounds.

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom with 10" & 14" toms and a 22" kick, that I play live (to protect the Premiers from CCD - Crappy Club Damage), normally used with some 20 year old Zildians. I don't particularly like the recorded sound of the Yamahas.

I also have a Mapex set with 10" & 12" toms and an 18" kick (for jazz gigs) - someday I'll find an old Gretch kit for the jazz gigs.

Either Evans or Aquarian heads.

and mine...

Mid 70's Slingerland 5 piece kit w/original snare and hi hat stands.
14" Sabian el sabor hats
old Zildjian crash/ride
Zildjian flat top ride.
Gibraltar double bass pedal (only use one though) and throne
Single ply ambassador heads
Big ass sticks

I also play my roomate's 50's Gretsch kit and swap cymbals, etc. with him.

Hey gnarled, if you only use one half of the pedal, wanna sell it to me? I have this huge double bass monstrosity, and I'd love to get rid of a bass drum. I can send you a cheap ass single pedal and some $$ for your double if ya want.

Jake

I only use half the pedal now so I can build up my speed, but I might use the whole thing in the future. Maybe I'll be in a heavy metal band someday (although I doubt that). So, thanks anyhow. You can find pretty cheap used drum hardware at www.ugbm.com though.

Thanks anyways, I don't trust Daddy's, too many problems in the past. I'll just kep my big ol double bass kit.

Jake

My first Kit -- by Bedubs

Okay...since I just bought my first kit like 6 months ago here's the setup:

Pearl Forum - Red Wine, all drums are from the 2000 series Pearl Forum

22" bass -- Evans G3 batter head, Pearl Logo front head with poorly cut 7" hole in bottom right.
14" snare -- Remo Coated Amb batter head -- stock pearl reso head
12" tom -- Remo Pinstripe batter, stock pearl reso head
13" tom -- Remo Pinstripe batter, stock pearl reso head
16" tom -- Floor Tom, Remo pinstripe batter, stock pearl reso head
14" pearl forum high hats (w/ stock pearl stand)
Sabian 16" AAXplosion crash -- Yamaha boom stand
Sabian 10" AAX splash -- gibralter hardware mount from aaxplosion stand
Pearl 18" Stock crash/ride -- pearl stand
Sabian 18" AAX Chinese -- Yamaha boom stand
Sabian 20" AA Rock Ride -- Mapex weighted stand

Pearl forum throne -- upgrading to Roc n Soc Motion throne w/ back rest.

My double kick drum pedal was given to me by my bass player and I have no idea what it is but it says CB 700 on the pedal (any help on identifying the mfg is welcome)

So far I really like the the Yamaha Stands and plan to upgrade the stand that holds my 16" crash and 10" splash to a Yamaha heavy duty weighted stand.

The Sabian AAX splash and chinese I bought as a package deal for $120 U.S. on clearance at mars.

I have no dampening on any drums nor in the kick.

Shure SM-57 -- for snare, hats, 16" crash, 12" tom
Shure SM-57 -- for 16" tom, ride, 18" crash, 13" tom, 18" chinese
AKG D112k -- just inside the hole in the kick.

-b

Okay, here's my entire setup:
(depth x diameter)
2 16" x 28" (Yes, that is Twenty-EIGHT inches in Diameter-not a typo)
1 16" x 20" Floor
1 14" x 18" Floor
1 12" x 15" Rack (on a Pearl snare stand between the kicks)
1 8" x 14" Brass Free floating Snaredrum by Pearl.

All Paiste Cymbals

1 pr. 14" Sound-edge Hi-hats, 2002 Series.
1 18" Medium, 2002 Series.
1 8" Bell, 2002 Series
1 18" Power Crash, Sound Formula Series
1 22" Power Ride, RUDE Series
1 19" Medium, 2002 Series.
1 20" Full Crash, Sound Formula Series.
1 20" China Type, 2002 Series.
1 3" Accent Cymbal, Dimensions Series
1 4" Cup Chime #3, Dimensions Series
1 5" Accent Cymbal, Dimensions Series
1 6" Cup Chime #7, Dimensions Series
1 7" Accent Cymbal, Dimensions Series

1 32" Paiste Gong

3 ddrums (connected to a ddrum RACK system)
4 "LP spike" type of triggers that I built.
(They work better than the LP spikes did.I'm using a DM5 as a TMI to trigger Symphonic Chimes from a Synth.)

All Pearl double-braced Hardware.
Axis Longboard "A" pedals.

Clear Pinstripes on the tops.
Clear Diplomats on the Bottoms.
Kick Resonant Is a solid smooth white Emperor...No holes in the kick heads.
The ddrums have Black Ambassdors on them.

But what is...

CB? I talked with a guy at the store today and he seemed to think it was an old entry lvl double pedal. As I said I'm new to the drum scene so any insight on CB would be appreciated.

-b

Insight = Don't buy it unless you are REALLY poor, or REALLY don't care about how your drum's sound. Cause they SUCK.

Jake

Back