Set Ups

My sets.

1. Old acryllic Ludwig set smoke black. Sounds like cans. Vistalite snare.

2. Off brand set with 18 inch bass and 20 inch bass plus a bunch of toms with really good mounting hardware.

3. Yamaha DS-11 elctronic pads.

4. 1970 gretch maple set RIMS mount mounted rack tom, just a fourpiece. Sometimes coated sometimes coated pin stripes. Old ancient (40 year +) instanbul rides, crashes, hi hats, some thick and thin wuhans, camco single bass pedal (need a DW) and DW other hardware. Aquarian heads on the bass drum with a 6 inch off center hole in the front. A totally jamming "bingy" sounding mapex snare. The whole kit has die cast hoops, thin shells.

I play a Mapex Pro M set with Sabian AAX crash and chinese ride. Old Zildjians on the hat. Don't know what they are.

My first set was an RCA 24X24 B/W TV box with a pedal from an old Stewart or Rogers set. I had a two mounted Folgers 2lb coffee cans and two round Oat Meal boxes for timbales. My hi-hat was a small foot operated trash can!

Ringo didn't have nuthin' on me! :D

Stewart???

Hey, getuhgrip, I didn't know anyone else had ever heard of Stewart drums. The kid next door had a set when I was 15, and he turned me on to Led Zeppelin.

I'm still playing, (and recently remodeled) my first set:

Ludwigs, and the date stamped inside was June 22 1963.

My parents bought them for me used for $300 in 1970.

13" kick mounted tom w/ Evans dry recording head
16" floor w/ Aquarian head
22" kick w/ Aquarian Super Kick II...how can you beat the sound?
14" stock snare w/ Evans dry recording head...these are the ones with the little holes about 1" from the rim, all the way around.

I still use my second old Speed King kick pedal.

They were psychedelic orange when I got them, have been painted many colors over the years, and when I "remodeled", I stripped off all the old paint and painted them with Rustoleum hammered finish, gun metal grey color.

I've destroyed so may cymbals over the years, I just pick up some used ones at the local drum shop (if they're fairly thin)

Right now, I have an 18" ZBT crash, 13" Zildjian hats, and an ols 14" hy-hat top I use for a crash.

When I first got the set, it had a 22" Zildjian ride, thick as hell, but it was drilled and had those rivets in it. I cut them off, and I still have it today, the best sounding ride I have ever heard, and it records better than you'd think.

I love this kit, I should replace it, but after thirty years, it's just ...me.

'63?! Good God, what could you replace them with?
Keepers for life! Hell, I'd put the rivets back in that old sizzle-disk just to confuse the young guys!

Yeah, I would have killed for a set of the first Ludwig acrylics, but Stewarts fit the $80/wk budget when I was 14. My buddy had a Rogers Cozy Cole set he'd never let me play. Punk!:D

My (semi decent) setup........

Kit - Tama Rockstar - Black (with a Sunlite add on)
10" x 9" tom
12" x 10" tom
14" x 12" tom (attacted to my ride cymbal stand)
16" x 16" floor tom (from my old Sunlite kit....but at least it's the same color) ;)
14" x 7" Yamaha snare
13" x 3 1/2" Sunlite (I think) piccolo snare
Drum heads - Evans G2 coated (I'm never getting coated heads again) batters and the reasonants are what came with the drums (need to replace those too).

Cymbals - Sabian B8 Pro "medium" cymbal package
14" hat
16" crash (which is MAJORLY cracked, & with nails driven into it for a cheap "sizzle crash")
20" ride
18" Piaste 402 crash/ride (which I just discovered a crack in today :mad: :mad: ....which BTW was my "ONLY" non-cracked crash cymbal....grrrrrrrr)
20" Zildjian A custom china
14" Power Beat bottom high hat (which I now use as a crash cymbal......also majorly cracked. This is attached to an interestingly rigged up mic stand.....that's right a mic stand turned into a cymbal stand). :D

Other - 2 cowbells mounted on bass drum (with cardboard inbetween so as not to scratch it)
I once had a double bass pedal (not sure what it was though) but both pedals fell apart and I had to tear them both apart to make one pedal that would work, and it's still kicking (pun intended) :D.

So now I guess I need to stop spending money on "studio" equipment and get my drums (well cymbals actually) up to parr now......and the list continues to grow.......

-tkr

Last edited:
Hey Tekker, I almost went with rock stars, but couldn't get past the plastic wrap finish and I was too cheap to throw a set of star classics down in my basement. Them walnut finished classics sure are pretty!

Nice Avatar

Hey getuhgrip, that's one crazy avatar you've got there. :eek: :D

Dem DW pearloid drums are sure purtty too........(they really need a drooling smiley don't they?) :D

-tkr

Hi all

I think I'm a bit if a Pearl man!

Set 1

Pearl MLX black
Pearl Rack
Bass 22 X 16
Tom 10 X 12
Tom 12 X 12
Tom 14 X 14
Tom 16 X 16

Set 2

Pearl BLX Cherry Red metallic
Pearl Rack
Bass 22 X 16
Tom 10 X 12
Tom 12 X 12
Tom 14 X 14
Tom 16 X 16

Set 3 ( I don't play this one it just sit's in the cellar)

Pearl 1969 Black Pearl
Bass 22 X 14
Tom 12 X 8
Tom 13 X 9
S Tom 16 X 16

Cymbals

Hi-Hat Paiste 2002 sound edge 14''
Hi-Hat Zildjian A New Beat 13''

Ride Zildjian K 20''
Ride Paiste Line 20''

Crash Paiste 2002 16''
Crash Paiste Line 14''

Splash Zildjian K 12''
Splash Paiste 2002 12''
Splash Sabian AA 12''

Chine Sabian HH 16''

Keep on drumming
Ty.

I just got my new set(used, actually, not new) today. I only had 10 minutes time to play it yet, but it sounds GREAT. 100x better sound and feel than my old crappy "Newsound" brand set. I'm gonna spend the whole day playing them tomorrow :) They look great also.

Pearl MLX in black

22" kick
10" tom (hanging from my B-855W that also holds my crash)
12" tom
13" tom
16" floor tom

14"x5,5" Tama Swingstar snare

Paiste 302 14" hi-hats(swapping them for 802's very soon) on an old Tama hi-hat stand
Paiste 802 16" Power Crash on a Pearl B-855W boom stand
Paiste 802 20" Ride on a Yamaha straight stand(don't know the series)
Newsound 14" China on a straight Pearl stand. This is actually a crash that came with my old set, but it sounds like a china(very trashy) so I call it that. Unfortunately, a friend who I am selling the old set to is coming to pick the set up tomorrow and i won't have my China anymore :(

Tama HP-200TW(Iron Cobra jr.) double pedal

Pinstripe batter heads on all drums except snare. Remo Ambadassor clear heads on toms reso side. Kick front head is a Pearl logo one. The snare has the factory Tama heads.

Back