Serious Microphone problems?!

elove

Hello all... I have a Boss BR-1180CD on its way to my house via delivery. I am searching for my first microphone and need some help. I am not sure what type of mic I need. I am recording Hip Hop artist and some singing vocals. Do I need a condenser mic or dynamic mic? Also, what is phantom power? I did see that the 1180 has 2 phantom power mic inputs on the back. Now if I got a condenser mic, would I need to get a preamp as well or just go straight into the back of 1180? I would appreciate it if you guys could help me out with some info. I am just getting started so not looking to spend too much. Are there any good mics that I can get for under 100 bucks?

A Shure SM57 will work as a dynamic mic under $100. In condensers, look at the Studio Projects B1 or MXL V67g. A condenser will give you a more detailed sound, in general. This may or may not be good, depending on the sound qualities of the room in which you are recording.

elove said:
Also, what is phantom power?

To oversimplify a bit, phantom power provides condenser mics with a boost in level.

If you want the "full" answer there are lots of google-able websites out there that go into the details.

Phantom power can be used with dynamic mics without affecting them one way or the other. However dynamic mics don't need phantom power.

And although I have no ribbon mics to test this myself, according to a MIX article from a few years back, phantom power is fine with ribbons too -- as long as you are sure your mic cable is not cross-wired. (See the bottom of the section "tiny ribbon, big sound".)

MIX article

elove said:
I did see that the 1180 has 2 phantom power mic inputs on the back. Now if I got a condenser mic, would I need to get a preamp as well or just go straight into the back of 1180?

Straight out of the 1180 will give you a workable sound.

Cheers & happy recording! :D

Johann

Back