Sequencer

Bulls Hit

I connected a Korg sq1 sequencer to my little Arturia synth and surprised myself in actually getting it going. I messed around a bit and recorded some sequences I used as the basis for this jam. I was quite impressed with the harmonic richness of the synth. It looks like a toy but it can sound quite grunty.
Interested in any impressions of the balance of the different bits...

new mix

Last edited:
My internet is fine, but the file plays for a few secs and then stops. No issues streaming anything else, for me, so not sure what the deal is. Just a heads up

The drums sound soft compared to the guitars. The distortion has a fizzy grit tone that's a bit unpleasing (sim or key pad distortion?). It would be cool to route that out and then reamp it with a real distortion pedal. Given the power in the riff I think the drums should be a little more beefy to match. Maybe try parallel compression on it and just blend in a hair to give them some meat.

andrushkiwt - hmm not sure what's up there. Stupid internet

Nola - You know I almost always parallel compress the drums, this time I thought nah it's just mainly just a synth backing it'll be fine and whaddya know, you picked it straight away! The fizzy grit is just me fiddling with the metalizer & brutefactor knobs on the synth. Thanks for the listen

I agree the drums are behind the other instruments. A real popping snare out in front of things would sound cool.

There is kind of a muddy low end. Not real bad, but there's a hint of mud.

The overall feel is excellent, as per your usual.

The tremelo stuff was a cool effect. It was used well.

edit - andrush - you might have just hit dropbox at a bad time? It played fine for me.

edit - andrush - you might have just hit dropbox at a bad time? It played fine for me.

Working now, thanks.

Just thought the drums could come up. For me, it wasn't as much not having any beef/thickness as it was their lower volume. But try it, I guess. Crunch em up some more and see what happens. There's a nice reverb/ambiance to the snare hit. Maybe further comp will bring it out a bit more. There's something too loud in the low end, like a buildup somewhere, think it's in the synth stuff.

Back