Sennheiser HD449 alternatives?

DarrenVocal

Hello there guys, I am planning to get myself a headphone this year and I've heard that Sennheiser HD439 is pretty flat and makes it a good monitor/recording headphones. Any similar/better headphones at the same price range? I currently have the HD439.

I have the ATH-40s and like them a lot for the extended frequency response 5hz-28khz. I caught them cheap on Amazon for $46. The ATH-50s are supposed to be better in the sub-$100 price range. I have always heard the AKG-240 is considered an industry standard for about that same price range. The Sennheiser HD-280 as well. But something like this so subjective, there really is no one right answer. If you go up to the $300 price range you can get much better quality, it just depends on your budget and how serious you are about it.

Hope that helps.

I haven't heard that about the HD280Pro at all, but it's all subjective. OP, consider that the ones I've looked at are fairly narrow and few, but two that I've looked at pretty hard are the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, and AKG 240 Mk-II. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are supposed to be pretty good and better than my M40s.

Try to demo different ones in person if you can. That should give you a better feel for how they respond to your requirements, when comfort for wearing long hours can also figure into it.

I owned the HD280s for several years. Definitely heavy low end.

For $100 they're a good entry level headphone, you just need to be mindful when mixing with them.

In the past I've seen reviews with notes about the bass-leaning/coloring sound from the HD280s, but it seems they're not bassy enough (?) for some people replying here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-280-headphones/reviews

These reviews are literally all over the chart, from zero bass to the bass reproduction being the headphone's strength. :p

I love my HD-280 phones, but I learned not to mix with them because of their odd low frequency response. They are a little heavy on the really low frequencies, like 80 Hz and below, but there is also a hole in the bass response that would cause me to crank up the bass guitar. it's somewhere in that 120Hz-240Hz area, I can't remember exactly where. But I still love the mid and high frequency response and detail. They're comfy for longer tracking sessions as well, and they have OK isolation.

... Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones Reviews

These reviews are literally all over the chart, from zero bass to the bass reproduction being the headphone's strength. :p
:confused: Then wouldn't that detract from the reviewer's credibility? I don't know, I've never looked at them very hard.

OP, If I was on a real tight budget I would get the ATH-M50 or AKG-240. The DT770 if I could afford a little more. You kinda get what you pay for, and you will have to live with your choice for quite a while. :thumbs up:

:confused: Then wouldn't that detract from the reviewer's credibility? I don't know, I've never looked at them very hard.

Yes exactly. But when I owned them there were fewer reviews, and most enthusiast reviews on websites since they were still a relatively 'new' model. Now every John and Jane Mixer has a voice on websites thanks to review sections. Goes to show that even when doing our homework we have to be selective.

If the ATH-M50 are in your budget, then those would be the ones to get. But they're more expensive than the HD280s.

The AKG-240 also. You should look real hard at those. The are on Amazon right now for $80. The 240 Mk-II for $118. The ATH-M50 is $150. The DT770 Pro is $164. You can look them up yourself, and read the reviews at the bottom of the page on Amazon for more opinions.

I posted that review page so that you could read a fairly detailed analysis by some top pros. Certainly worth paying attention to.

Wait, so which should I get? As long as it is below $200 I am able to deal with it. I'm not exactly sure I should really believe reviews as many times they have been really inaccurate, so anyone here who has a fair amount of experience?

Back