Seeking Feedback on my first project from new home studio

TalismanRich

The overall song is pretty good. I like your voice, most of the instrumentation is fine. Mostly it needs some fine tuning.

The drums didn't seem to fit too well for me, they sound a bit thin and hollow. If it's a midi track, that's a easy fix, you can run them through a different drum sim, maybe get a fatter, more realistic sound. One of the nice things about my Alesis SR18 is the variety of drum sounds. Programming it is a pain in the butt, but the sounds are great.

The lead guitar part might be a bit too strong, It needs to vary some, bring the level down some, especially in the verses. It might help if you run it through an amp sim to add a bit of distortion. It almost sounds too "squeaky clean". Was it recorded straight into an interface?

It's a great starting point. Some additional work can easily take it to the next level.

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I agree it's a good song and the voice is very nice. The main thing is the lead guitar being too loud. I'd lower that about 6dB and get used to how that sounds.

La9

A good song. As others have mentioned, the lead guitar is a bit (a lot) to loud. I would also consider to eq out a bit of the lows of the lead in the intro. As the song goes by the lead gets a little repetitive. Strong and well recorded and produced vocals.

uncle sixer

Thanks for the responses. Vocals are my wife, she has a very lovely voice and she doesn't use it nearly often enough. I gave her a little compression and a little reverb. On her eq, I high passed @ 100hz, notched out a little 1.2khz due to voice/mic/room resonance, and gave her about 2.5 to 3dB @ 300hz and 4khz.

I am often guilty of mixing a guitar part (or three) too hot... so I am not surprised there. I will learn restraint.

The drums are MTPDKII, humanized and eq'd little.

I went back and ran the lead guitar and drums through a saturator for a new mix-down. I also chopped the second chorus in half. I am going to put it away for the day and listen with fresh ears again tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I am sure I will have a nicer product tomorrow!

uncle sixer

Nobody is obligated to listen again, but I will post today's version in case anyone wants to hear it with some massaging. The guitar is probably still a little too hot, but it is a little more balanced. I cut out half of the extra-long chorus. And I think I left the tambourine and shaker muted in the first mix... they come in in the second chorus for a little variety.

fuzzsniffvoyage, it is a cover of a song by Ween and that is kinda how their studio version ended. I told my wife we should maybe fade out during the chorus repeat (because I really thought it was too long) but she wanted it a little more true to the original. I also thought about getting the "with you" in there and then repeating a chorus to fade out with a guitar solo instead of vocals.

But anyway, she thinks it is great and obviously our moms love it (haha, our biggest fans, still). Thanks a bunch!

https://soundcloud.com/user-861134007%2Fstay-forever-1

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I think the ending is OK. It has a good resolution. And yup.. the guitar is still a bit too much - intro is ok, but I'd like it lower after that.