SDC or LDC

GendoPose

Hi All,

Not exactly your typical SDC vs LDC thread here.

I have 2 condenser mics, a Samson C01 Pencil SDC and a PreSonus LDC.

Say I have the rest of a drum kit miked up properly, but also wanted to record the Hats and the Ride as well. Which type of condenser would you use for which cymbal?

I'm leaning towards using the SDC on the Hats and the LDC on the Ride, because with the Ride track I would be happier with getting a bit more of the sound from the whole kit, where as the Hats track I would want as isolated as I can get it.

What do you guys think and why?

Thanks for any replies!

Hi All,

Say I have the rest of a drum kit miked up properly.

If you've got it Mic'd up properly with overhead mics and spot mics where needed you shouldnt need to mic the ride too.

SDC for hats, I find better luck on instruments with them as apposed to LDC's which are often designed with vocals in mind (but not always).

I switch between them all the time, at the moment I'm going through an LDC phase, it's like drugs, tea and coffee.

I always did sdc on the hat and ldc on the ride. I normally used the low.cut switch on the ldc too.

If you've got it Mic'd up properly with overhead mics and spot mics where needed you shouldnt need to mic the ride too.

SDC for hats, I find better luck on instruments with them as apposed to LDC's which are often designed with vocals in mind (but not always).

Agreed. SDC for the hats. Assuming you're using a spaced pair of condensors for overheads, adding another mic above the ride cymbal is just asking for phase problems. If the ride just isn't loud enough (which I doubt) and you must mic it, make sure the overhead is at least 3x as far from the ride as the close mic. All must be equidistant from the snare drum.

Probably the simplest solution is get the drummer to hit the ride harder, rather than adding extra mics, YMMV but it's certainly going to be less complicated to mix/mic that way.

Are you wanting to record the hats and ride because you have extra mics laying around, or do you actually need to record the hats and ride?

Back