Samicide/SLuiCe Collaboration

SLuiCe

Well, I don't know what to say about this one. Sam (aka B. Sabbath) invited me to do some vocal for this music. I guess he had some vocal tracks done, but he accidently deleted them. So yesterday I loaded it up and just started spilling my guts onto it. I wrote most of the lyrics while I downloaded his wave file over Instant Messenger. We both have cable internet so it took about 15 minutes- gotta love that. :) There are some mix issues that we're both aware of, but we didn't want to start smashing the feeling and making it worse. We'd love some mix comments to see how on/off track we are for future collabs. I'd certainly love to do another with him, maybe switch roles. As for the song itself, well, enter at your own risk. LOL!

Say what you will, kick it, scratch it, growl at it, feed it, step on it, stretch it, bend it, shake it. Just put it back where you found it.

Thanks for listening.

And thanks to Sam for letting me vent on this one. It felt fucking great to let a few demons out.

Safe and Sound

I normally steer away from the heavy metal stuff, but this was pretty damn cool. Guitars sound pretty fat...didn't like th elittle "squealy" thing. Just a personal thing. I for some reason relate that little squealy sound to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani who I can't stand. Again personal thing. The vocals are fucking off the hook!!! The lyrics are great. "I'll tell you all about the ocean you never sailed"..awesome.

Sluicey this is a bit different for you, huh?! I like. The sounds you've got going on from 3:10 on are sweet. The way Sluicey sings to that part is fantastic.

Nice collab guys!

niiiiiice

The whole song kicks as$.........well.....except the drums. The thing that sticks out the most is the snare. You guys need to find a 3rd person that can bang out a good drum track....ooooooh then it would be perfect. I love this kinda stuff.

I'd love to help but the only thing that comes outta my speakers after I bang around is a bunch of cracks and pops. When I learn how to record I'll call back.......lata.......sounds great!

Killer song guys... nice and heavy...

The vocals are excellent, aggression and attitude...maybe could come up a bit more...

The lyrics are very cool, and intellegent as usual...

The music is ferocious, with some great changes... doesn't plod along...

I love the guitars... very tasty...

Big thumbs up guys!!

well Allll right!
Very cool stuff fellas. GREAT collaboration. You guys play nice together. The song smokes both musically and lyrically. ...did you say the f word:eek: ? Lots of stuff in this to absorb so im gonna listen from home to enjoy more.

....So as i understand it, this was a finished mix by sam with vocals layed over the top...right? ...or was this mixed by you Tom? ... It aint no big deal, the reason i bring it up is that the vocs sound kinda buried from here :-)rolleyes: ), and i wondered if that was due to laying the vocs over a mix that couldnt be messed w/ much. The levels dont really sound timid, just kinda in the pile eq-wise.

BIG power in this.... good road-rage music..

...Im gonna burn this to cd and go find me some traffic:D :mad:
gw5

This was a nice surprise after the long weekend. S&S doing S&S. This is definitely not safe and sound though. Cool.

Music and vox rocked for sure. I would have not expected less. Actually, Tom I think you nailed it on melody/vox on top of this awesome Sammy bed. It might be better than I would have guessed if I would have heard Sams music first and was told you were going to lay vocals on top. Nice work!

Mix complaints:

Vox up if I was mixing. I like 'em up front. I want to hear those sweet lyrics without straining.

It could be an EQ thing. The vox almost sound like that were recorded in a different room. :D I always wanted to say that in a critique! :) Seriously, I think that being able to drop the vocals in the same program with the freedom to adjust all the levels, panning, EQ would make this shine. I don't really think bringing up your vocal levels is the solution. Then it might sound too pasted on top.

Loved it. Thanks guys! You should do this more often. How about a SLuiCe bed with B.Sab vocals?

Rats- Thank you man. Sam's instrumentation allowed me to get a little more aggressive than I can in a lot of other stuff for sure. It was really nice of him to let me experiment on this. He didn't make me change much, other than to lower some vocals here and there, which was fine with me. Anyway, glad you took the time and dug it. Thanks.

Ledmech- Thanks man. I found the snare sound to be a bit muffled too, but he's got what he's got and makes damn good use of what he's got. Your time is appreciated man. Thanks and welcome to the board.

Pedullist- Liar. :)

Kelly- Thank you very much. Aren't those changes cool? It was fun blending myself into them. As soon as I heard the instruments I was like, ya I'm in. I wrote and recorded all the vocals in about 2 hours, which might seem rushed, but I just totally felt the flow of his music. I could dive in and swim around in it like an eel. Yes. An eel. Thanks Kelly.

Guernica- Yep, Sam sent me a Wave file with all his parts, and I recorded over that. The vocals need to be EQ'd a little better. I didn't do much EQing to them, but a little bit of low mids could be cut from them I think, to sit in the bed a little better. I was walking a fine line with the mix, becasue I don't want the vocal too up front. On something like this I prefer to blend it in more as an instrument, but still be clear. I think the low mid cuts in the vocal will give it the clarity it needs without having to give it a huge overall boost. Unless it's really bad, I'm just going to leave it as is for now and keep working on some other stuff. But it's interesting to sing on Sam's stuff. It's so dense and dark, it's like swimming through deep ocean, occasionally coming up on a coral reef, and all the while hoping my air tank doesn't explode. :) Thanks Mike.

Hey skids...just missed ya. Thanks man. Read my response to Guernica for vocal issue info. Cheers!

Some lyrics until I fix the vocal EQ

A turning point
He said "caution to the wind"
And I've jumped in
Pale skinned, red eyed, sick grin.

Cuz I was tied
Without having even tried
I might have died
Without having even tried

Why did I believe it's not coming for me?
The day, the hour, the choice.
"It's sink or swim, boy..."

And what would I do with safety,
But panic when it's taken from me?
And what would I do with security
But cry when I die in obscurity?

Why?

Fear.

I may come crawling back with my tail between my legs.
I may be crazy, but this motherfucker never begs.
I may come swimming back to tell you just how bad I failed.
But I'll tell you all about the ocean that you never sailed.

Can we just forget it? I don't want to hurt you.
Can we just forget it? You don't want to hurt me.
Can we just forget it? You don't want to forget me.
Could you just hurt me? Will you just forget me?

Don't lie, and you'll free me.
Don't lie, and I'll free you.

"I don't know what you think you're gonna do, boy.
But you're all done here."

Last edited:
Listening again. Infectious! I had to comment on how sweet the changes are. Then how they were handled vocally on top was just icing.

This song gets better with each listen and I don't even listen to this type of music too often.

Hey those drum rolls - a few sounded a little off of timing wise. Maybe it was me, but something sounded funny. Just a thought.

SWEET!

Pretty good tune. The drums and vox are the only things that really seem to have issues, and they have already been addressed. I think the that the drum programming should be a little more mixed up, but other than that it's pretty sweet.

The Jet ...

The first three syllables of lyric are lost in the mix. 5 listenings, cannot understand.

Backups at 0:24 are great, I'm happy with the level, actually the level is a perfect balance between 'lead' and backups. It's fucking opera !

Man this guitar riff is totally pro sonically and in it's performance presentation.

At 1:01, backups are great again.

The lead is sung in an 'intimate' manner, I'm thinking close to the mic ? But the amount of verb ... gonna maybe play a bit with that eh ?

At 1:30 these vocals are more 'intimate' and out front, cleaner and drier, effective for this point in the song.

I like the little string 'nudges' ... creates tension ...

At 2:02, the guitar needs to come down, that word 'fear' should knock us down and sweep us away along with the fine backup vocals here ...

'the ocean that you never sailed' :D

Generally there is a challenge to understand the lyrics, although I understand this is scratch of a sorts ... On second listening this challenge persists.

I don't know why, but I'm giggling at 3:49 ... that's mixed as though it IS buried in the mix ... but that is working well ...

What did you give those poor string players to make 'em do that ? Gimmie some ...

Hey guys...thanks a bunch. I've cleaned up the vocal a bit. Cut some low mids and raised the tracks.
If you actually liked the song and weren't just being "clinic nice" I've got a new file up on NWR. I think the lyrics and the feeling should be more clear this time without concealing Sam's beautiful wall.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/sluice/singles

skids- thanks for the bonus listen. Ya, it was very, how to say, enticing to lay vocals over those changes. I've never been much for pop arrangements myself. I always enjoy blending different ideas together into one. Sam's music usually does that pretty well IMO. Thanks again.

Analytical Man- I was hoping you'd check this out. I know you like the heavier stuff. I appreciate it! Thanks.

Studioviols- Before I even read your post, I cut the tail on the verb a bit. I agree, it didn't sit with the music well. I also, as I mentioned hopefully got the whole vocal track sitting more clearly. Ya, that thing at 3:49 is supposed to be like a mental echo. It's something that sort of happened last week that has been resonating in my head. Glad to get it out. Thanks for the critique Pat. Much appreciated.

Nice guitar!

The song sounds a little thick on my Klipsch 4.1 system. Lots of bass. I'm losing your vocals, SLuiCe, mostly in the verses.

This is getting awfully close to Tool quality, gentlemen. You better watch it, or you're gonna become rock stars.

I can see where it might need a few more listens on the mix. There are lots of niggles, but nothing that makes me want to put a hex on you or anything.

Nice 'ahhhs' in the "interlude." That was wicked cool.

I'd love to hear a cleaner mix of this, 'cause it is

RIGHT UP MY ALLEY!

Oooh... nice ending.

You guys rock so hard. I hate you.

The whole thing is amazingly nice and gives me one more reason to sell my shit and go back to quilting or mink farming.

I can't believe I have to turn on the radio and hear fucking Creed when music like this could be on. There's just so much going on here. So many changes and creative additions. The more I listen, the more I like.

You are both my gods, and I will burn incense in your names tonight.

Piltdown Man

EDIT: You apparently posted while I was posting. Didn't see the lyrics. Very... f-ing... nice. Lyrics can SO ruin or make a song, and those lyrics could make a Yoko Ono song listenable. Not to take away from the fine musicianship on both your parts, but those are some damn well-written lyrics.

I didn't think I could hate you more, but you've forced me to. :-)

Excellent!
Feels very heavy in the center and light on the sides. Am I making sense? That bowed sounding low instrument is taking up a lot of space. At this point I'm not even sure that's a critcism so much as an observation.

Very enjoyable fellas.

Re: niiiiiice

Ledmech said:
You guys need to find a 3rd person that can bang out a good drum track
:eek:
:D

Pretty damned cool guys..........Tom,.......you get some of your aggression out here? :D
Don't really have any mix comments......might be a little muddy maybe......cool samicide song as usual with that sam sound.......SluiCe vocals are always cool but damn!....this is such a departure I can barely recognize them......
I love collabs and this is why........music that could never have happened otherwise. I'm getting a good collection going......this one's in too!

Back