Running a Solid State amp with no input

shockingcandy

Leads for all occasions
The title may sound a little crazy but hear my out...

I am planning in recording a old Peavey Bandit 65 by patching the Pre Amp Out through a H&K Red Box. In order not to annoy my neighbours I need to mute the sound coming from the speaker. I can do this by inserting a dummy cable into the Power Amp In socket as this bypasses the signal being passed from the pre amp. My question is, can running a solid state power amp with no input connected (i.e. open circuit) cause any damage? The alternative is to disconnect the speaker though I am trying to avoid this is the contact tabs have become quite brittle

Thanks for your comments. We ran it for a short time with the power amp bypassed last night as planned. No problems so far.

After discussing the issue with another tech-friendly guitar player today I have concluded that the power amp will see an input of infinite impedance (i.e open circuit) and that this should not cause a problem. Thanks for all your replies

After discussing the issue with another tech-friendly guitar player today I have concluded that the power amp will see an input of infinite impedance (i.e open circuit) and that this should not cause a problem.

You mean output, do you not? The speakers connect to the output of the power amp.

You mean output, do you not? The speakers connect to the output of the power amp.

No, I mean input. To clarify, as there seems to be a few confused people, I am not disconnecting the speaker, only severing (temporarily) the connection between the pre amp and power amp.

After discussing the issue with another tech-friendly guitar player today I have concluded that the power amp will see an input of infinite impedance (i.e open circuit) and that this should not cause a problem. Thanks for all your replies

actually if the amp is buzzing abit in the room (could be annoying) you're better off grounding the input to the amp section if it doesnt interfeer with the pre-amp out... shouldn't but i don't have schemo infront of me...

No, I mean input. To clarify, as there seems to be a few confused people, I am not disconnecting the speaker, only severing (temporarily) the connection between the pre amp and power amp.

Ah, then there's no problem whether it be tube or solid state.

actually if the amp is buzzing abit in the room (could be annoying) you're better off grounding the input to the amp section if it doesnt interfeer with the pre-amp out... shouldn't but i don't have schemo infront of me...

Cheers. I'll bare that in mind. So far seems OK though.

Back