Roland TR909 clone

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I am hesitant to post a question about a drum machine in this forum, but here goes. I fricking love the sound of TR909 drums. I want to have these sounds in my live shows, but I don't really have the money to put up for one of these machines. What is the best reasonably priced solution (not interested in software)? I am using this for electronica music. It at least needs to have a sequencer.

I can get a TR707 for $100. I have never heard the 707 though. Is it similar to the 909?

Last edited:
Well there is the Jomox boxes, those can do a reasonably good 909 emulation but pretty much cost more than a real one

http://jomox.de

I use a clone called a 9090. No sequencer, but it is dead on with the sound

http://Introspectiv.org

a tr-707 is not even close to a real 909. Its a 12bit (and crappy sounding at that) rompler, so its a far cry from the analog goodness that is 909

if need an affordable and decent sounding clone, Get a Korg ES-1 and use a 909 kit or find something to run a Novation Drumstation, that has excellent 808 and 909 emulation.

I would pass on the 707, drumstations can be found for that much and sound a 1000 times better

I'm answering this many, many years later - I used to be quite software adverse, too, but things have changed so much, to the benefit of software when it comes to emulations. I have used quite a few hardware and software drum machines, emulations or not, but the one that kills it is D16 Group's Drumazon 2. Very strange name, great TR909 emulation! Sound is spot on, with sequencer, and FX chain goes beyond yer traditional drum computer. I'm so enthused, I made a video on it - you can watch it here (on your question if 707 is like 909, it isn't...)

Attachments

• Drumazon 2 - Master View.png
    Drumazon 2 - Master View.png
    4 MB · Views: 1
I am hesitant to post a question about a drum machine in this forum, but here goes. I fricking love the sound of TR909 drums. I want to have these sounds in my live shows, but I don't really have the money to put up for one of these machines. What is the best reasonably priced solution (not interested in software)? I am using this for electronica music. It at least needs to have a sequencer.

I can get a TR707 for $100. I have never heard the 707 though. Is it similar to the 909?
Unfortunatey the TR707 is one of the early digital audio samples based drum muchine (after Linn of course)
and TR909 is different thing,

because of the cost of the TR909
and the enormous availability of sample libraries also for free of it,

a friend have got for so lot less money an Akai sampler with 8+2 separate outputs
and internal DSP Fxs card expansion
i do not remember at the moment the exact model
probably it is the CD3000XL that include option to fast load samples banks/patches,
Multi presets with up to 16 different banks of samples simultaneously,
each with proper midi channel, Fxs, output, and other settings too as well,
this allow to have multiple drum machines like TR909,TR808,TR606,TR707,TR727,LINN DRUM,OBERHEIM, and more....,
like vocals samples, syth sounds, in a single box,
and edit each sample & banks with the internal options that a TR909 do not have,
like multisamples, reverb, delay, chorus, etc.. , sample tune apart...,
another option is the internal filter that allow to process the samples.
in addition the onboard CD Drive allow to sampling directly from audio CD,
(check specs about on Akai docs),

I had the opportunity to hear and see in operation the Akai sampler of my friend
with many original and edited TR909 and others drum machines samples (also self made with Akai sampling option)
and there are many things that the original TR909 cannot do, compared to a sampler with editing and Fxs options !

As also for others samplres and different devices
from some year there is the option to replace the floppy disk unit
with a much more roomy sd card drive
where store and load fastly samples and banks,

If more than 8+2 analog output are required
there are 2 models of Akai samplers that apart other enhanced options
allow to expand outs up to 16 mono channels
with also an editor for computers (check about on Akai docs)
the models should be the S5000 & the S6000
wich if I remember correctly have also ADAT digital out option card for digItal DAW integration,

obviously (& "unfortunately") on above mentioned models there is not "TR" sequecer as on TR909
so they have to be driven by a sequencer
(computer DAW, standalone unit, workstation with internal sequencer, etc..),

or get an Akai Mpc groovebox (Roger Linn genius designed, father of Linn Drum)
which as default includes a good sequencer section + sampler section with many sample editing-manage options,
existing many models of it
it should be checked which one might be the more suitable one for proper needs,
(separate and type of outs, internal Fxs, Filter, etc...),

the "negative side" of the MPCs is the price to pay for a unit, even if used,
the asking prices for a model that has the sampler features similar to those of a CD3000XL
are unfortunately (and incomprehensibly) much higher : ((((( .

hope this 2 cents help.

Last edited:
Back