Roland JC-120, should I get it?

ok about the fx loop on the jc-120,
my amp is a really old one and the output jacks on the back are totally different than on the new ones. there is a line out, two speaker outputs (L,R i assume), two main in's, and all the footswitch jacks. It does not have the series vs parallel switch or the otherl switch.
All the jacks may be there but just labeled differently.

ok about the fx loop on the jc-120,
my amp is a really old one and the output jacks on the back are totally different than on the new ones. there is a line out, two speaker outputs (L,R i assume), two main in's, and all the footswitch jacks. It does not have the series vs parallel switch or the otherl switch.
All the jacks may be there but just labeled differently. Can anyone help me?

did you get the 120? i have a 120 but i never run crunch thru it. cleans only. my blended engl and marshall do that for me.

For one thing, this thread is 16 years old. Also, there are a number of metal players and countless others that have gotten good crunch tones out of a JC-120. Joe Satriani comes to mind. The built in distortion is close to useless IMO but the amp takes pedals very well. eg. "Parts of Surfing With the Alien were done with a JC-120 and a DS-1 instead of the Marshall".

Highly Recommended

I've got a pair of JC-120s. These amps are awesome and very versatile. I've gigged and recorded with them for over 10 years and they work flawlessly. Well known in the industry for their clean sound. I've used them on Acoustic guitars, Strats and SGs -- even keyboards.
Yep I've owned a few over the years for my keys set up ...a clean sounding trouble free workhorse

"Parts of Surfing With the Alien were done with a JC-120 and a DS-1 instead of the Marshall".
What parts? He used a JVM power section with a custom Peavey front end preamp. Of all things effects were based on a DHP-55 from digitech because of its Whammy pedal circuit inside. The front end preamp custom from Peavey had Parametric EQ on the stacks. This idea later became the Peavey Rockmaster , which was highly successful.

I'm not sure there was such a thing as a JVM power section in 1987. I'm guessing the Marshall in question was something like a Plexi with a master volume mod.

That article claims JC-120 preamp section with a Marshall power section? The article it footnotes is in error. Claiming a 'JC-20'. With revisions.

Any other sources beside 2007 Guitar Player claiming the JC-120?

Oddly, I've seen more of these used on keyboards than ever I saw on guitars. In fact, if one came up cheapish, I'd probably buy one!

Don't know, and it doesn't say what parts, came from what..That's cool, you like its crunch tones. I don't remember it being very good for that. You should buy one.

I bought mine 30 years ago. The clean sound with the chorus is definitely where this amp comes into its own wheelhouse, but aside from that it's just a good, solid amp. I used to use it a lot with JB humbuckers and an SD-1 in front. It's versatile. If anyone wants to say you can't do crunch tones with that amp it's kind of contrary to the records that were made that way. There's a long list of JC-120 artists. A number of metal bands use it for the cleans. I think I read somewhere that early Queensryche records used it for the lead guitar sound. It's not going to have the same heft as a Plexi or something, but that might actually help if you're trying to fit a lead tone into a dense mix without the bloat. Whatever works.

I usually prefer tube amps, but I think the JC-120 belongs on a short list of solid state amps done right.

What other SS amplifiers are on that list? Marshall 9000's? Fender Red Knobs?

Ever try the hybrid Mosfet/12AX7 amps? I recommend going back before Marshall Valvestate/Fender CYberdyne. Lee Jackson had one, and ADA had the Microtube. There were other boutiques doin it too that didnt end up like the AVT's.

Lab Series amps were pretty good. Gallien-Krueger. I had a small Yamaha 1x12 combo that was pretty nice. 100 watts and surprisingly loud and heavy for what it was. Pignose...

The only red knob Fender I have is "The Twin". Not solid state but it's a total beast. Some of their ss offerings are well regarded but I haven't played all of them. I'm generally not a fan of their modeling amps but the new Tone Master series is pretty good.

I had a Marshall Lead 12 eons ago that I liked until I played it long enough to realise that I didn't. The Marshalls I really like are tube amps, usually the ones going after an old school vibe. Class 5, Origin series and the Studio Vintage and Classic. A friend used to have a Mosfet that was okay I guess, not really my thing. I like the Lab Series stuff way better. Different animal though.

My Vox Pathfinder 10 can make some interesting sounds for a cheap little practice amp.

Wow... A JC-120 thread...
I had one from the late 80's thru the 90's. Clean and loud. I used a Boss DS-1 or a SD-1 thru it for distortion. Fine for 80's sounds. But then I slipped into blues...
I think depending on the pedal, the JC is a nice platform. Just not for me... But that chorus! If you had the budget (and a roadie for playing out...) I'd have one just as the chorus in an effects loop!

Back