Rodepodmic and Scarlett 2i2 for voice recording, the static noise make me wonder my life

loud static noise of Rodepodmic

• noise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • how to deal with mic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bb83579aa

So I bought Rodepodmic and Scarlett 2i2 for voice recording, I am not really sure what happened but it hissed A LOT the constant static noise is driving me crazy, and it sound not good at all :(
I really need some help with it, I saw everyone is having a great time with this mic on those Mic review video

So I saw this video using the excatly the same set i did, but instead of the crystal clear voice, mine sounds a bit blur and have huge static noise(2) Rode PodMic Dynamic Mic Review _ Test - YouTube - Google Chrome 2022_4_16 上午 02_22_07.png

btw I use the obs to record video including my voice, and i dont think it's the problem becuz i can hear the static noise right through the monitor.

Can we hear what you are getting? Other wise we're guessing what the static sounds like - I'm imagining crackling and popping, or do you mean hiss? You have the mic connected via the XLR to the interface, and the correct input selected in OBS?

Well, it's a dynamic mic and the gain is cranked up pretty high (in Podcastage's picture, at least), so it could be partly background noise in your environment. It's an "end-address" mic so make sure you are talking directly into the end of the mic, and not on the side, like you might use a condenser mic.

But, as mentioned, we need you to attach an MP3 of what you're getting so we can hear it too. I'd suggest just recording the signal direct into software like Audacity, or whatever you want (not OBS, for starters), and export the recording as MP3, then attach to your post.

"We" used to get posts like this a lot and there are some basics that beginners do not know so, while we wait for the chap to post a clip, I would like to run through those basics?
First off, microphones are as thick as ***t...YOU have to be the brains for them. They will not pickup a high quality signal from six feet away from your cake receptacle. They will NOT ignore the guy strimming his front drive or the elephants (aka kids) dancing upstairs. Yes! I know...YOU did not notice the noises but the mic cannot tell YOUR dulcet tones from ***t.

To be fair, you might have a faulty mic or a faulty interface (but not likely BOTH inputs) but this is extremely rare especially with a good make of dynamic mic and interface. So, for the clip you are going to send us. Set the mic about 2" (50mm) from lips and speak in normal voice and adjust the mic gain such that in the recording software you see the meters readings around -20dBFS (I don't use OBS so if it does not have meters try Audacity) Assuming you can achieve that level, stop talking and breathing for ten seconds or so. Save and send (as a 320k MP3 attachment for me if you can)

Dave.

So I bought Rodepodmic and Scarlett 2i2 for voice recording, I am not really sure what happened but it hissed A LOT the constant static noise is driving me crazy, and it sound not good at all :(
I really need some help with it, I saw everyone is having a great time with this mic on those Mic review video

So I saw this video using the excatly the same set i did, but instead of the crystal clear voice, mine sounds a bit blur and have huge static noiseView attachment 117138

btw I use the obs to record video including my voice, and i dont think it's the problem becuz i can hear the static noise right through the monitor.

Hi mate,

I had this issue, it's a well known problem with this device. I have the same interface but the Scarlett Solo and I purchased it because everyone seems to have one and recommends it.

I had the issue and it was driving me mad. Static noise, crackling popping and all sorts. I tried it on my computer, laptop and other devices and still had the same issue. I searched around for ages and found people had success using the 3.2.2 beta driver. I tried installing that and it has been fine every since - but took ages in searching and trying so many things.

So uninstall all the focusrite software and drivers you currently have. Then find the 3.2.2 driver on the internet, install it and then plug the device in. If that doesn't work then get another well priced and well reviewed interface.

It's a shame, it's a brilliant product otherwise but this is such a common issue and I would want to happily recommend this product to people but I'm not sure how I could do that when they've been having driver issue for years.

I have been lurking in three forums for some ten years and I cannot agree that the issues stated with the 2i2 are "common". I recall very few problems being reported with this interface.
This might be of use?

Yes, there have been complaints about the 2i2* over the years. Some are noob users not being aware of limitations...Dynamic mics need close talking and no 'budget' interface has the gain or low enough noise for ribbons at 3 paces! Headphone levels are often said to be low but this is a very common complaint about almost all bus powered AIs at this level.
The very early interfaces had poor headroom on the guitar input (NEVER occurs to the punter to turn the fekkin' guitar down!) but that was fixed in later models.

Note, I have no financial nor other connection with Focusrite or indeed any other company. The 2i2 was for a long time THE suggested interface on forums and must have sold more units than all the others together? That means if it is THAT bad we should be inundated with complaints...Ain't so. In any case I have always felt that the 2i2 is an 'OK' interface but a bit expensive for what it is. I would suggest the MOTU M2 (but get the M4 really!) or one of the Native Instrument units.

*because interfaces have to work with computers the mnfctrs cannot be responsible for EVERY possible combination. Sometimes any given AI will just not work well with a particular computer.

Dave.

I have to say Dave is spot on here - so many people have them, and I think SInstitute's post is the first I've heard on this subject?

I have to say Dave is spot on here - so many people have them, and I think SInstitute's post is the first I've heard on this subject?
I believe it is a self fulfilling prophecy Rob. 'Bod has a problem with a product, looks on inferanlnet and finds lots of company'.

I was very happy with my NI KA6 for years (it has its issues but fixed I think in the Mkll) and never read a bad word about it. Then a guy had a problem with the USB port and proceeded to rant on about how badly made the product was, how shoddy the components and how much bad news there was about the interface on the Net. These claims were dead wrong. Since the guy got under my skin a bit and was 'local' I offered to repair his unit if I could. I did with some very tricky soldering of some 'KING! small print tracks and with MY eye and 75yr old hands, quite a task. I think it lasted another 12 months or so. Seeing the quality of the construction inside it was easily AS good as any other bit of $200 electronics with just the quality of components I expected.

The only 'bad' thing I could say about Native Instruments is that they are not easy people to deal with. MOTU on the other hand are brilliant!

Dave.

+1 to needing an audio clip, and to such issues with a 2i2 not necessarily being what you should expect.
I've been using a 2i2 for weekly voice chats with either sm7b or re20 with no issue at all other than, of course, the signal being relatively weak.
I boost in software and all's good.

Edit - I'm fairly sure the 2i2 is class compliant. It shouldn't need a driver.

I have a 2i2 parked in front of my PC and while it is not my main interface by any length, I can put any mic I own (from high-end condensers to Shure 57/58s) into it, hit record on the PC and get perfectly usable sound....unless the OP actually got a defective 2i2, the usual suspects are:
The mic used.
Poor gain staging.
The room.
The user not being at the appropriate distance to the mic.

Drive by new members who expect everyone to be clairvoyant really wind me up. They join, ask a question that always gets a "can we hear it" response and never bother to come back.

Add to Cosmic's list
lack of user skill!

Drive by new members who expect everyone to be clairvoyant really wind me up. They join, ask a question that always gets a "can we hear it" response and never bother to come back.

Add to Cosmic's list
lack of user skill!
I can't imagine this trend is going to improve with all the new youtubers/insta/tiktokers who never recorded a voice in their life suddenly needing to sound like pros for their microwave oven review. This equipment is becoming ubiquitous across multiple disciplines.

Back