Rode Nt-5

geraci89

Hi everyone I'm new to posting here, just have been reading over some other threads. Anyways I'm getting into the home studio thing and recently have been looking at upgrading my overheads from 2 apex 191's. I've been hearing good things about the rode nt-5's and I was wondering what you guys think about them, or other mics in the same price range that might be better. Thanks a lot!:)

Personally, I'd be looking at Oktava 012's or Studio Projects C4 (the later edition) before I considered NT5's.

:cool:

I know the NT5's are not a lot of peoples favorite at $400 new but one thing to consider is that these can often be picked up for half of that used on ebay.

by later ones you mean the ones with the 2 individual switches for low pass and -10db right?

I would identify the new version by the coloured logo (black "SP" on a red triangle) rather than the all black screened logo on the mics...........the changes were more than just cosmetic and different switching. Obviously, as with any mics, it would be helpful to find somewhere that has a return policy so you can try them out before buying.

Another mic to check out is the MXL 603 for 1/2 the cost... under $200 for a Matched Pair and they get good reviews around here.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423843-REG/MXL_MXL603PAIR_603S_Stereo_Set.html

If it's in your budget the Peluso CEMC6 for a couple hundred more are a very nice mic... http://www.soundpure.com/showProduct.do?id=714
I think they're around $650 for the set

I had a pair of NT5... IMO they're a good mic but I liked my Oktava 012 much more for OH and I sold the NT5 pair (that I had paid $200 for new... great deal :D ) & bought the Peluso CEMC6. I like them very much for acoustic guitar and OH too. To me there is just something about the Oktavas for OH that I really like... especially cymbals... but the CEMC6 have better imagery.

Good Luck,
B.

The MXL's are good value mics BUT they are usually too bright for o/head duties, better on acoustic guitar and other odds and ends.

Oktava's 012 (particularly the modded variety) are very good o/heads, I haven't heard the Pelusos so I can't comment on them but they'd have to be "something" to outperform the 012s in that general price range.

Thanks for everyones input! I ended up going with the c4's and paid about 310 new shipped! hope they live up to what i hear about em!:D

geraci89 ... Please give the C4s a couple of good tests, then re-visit this thread and let us know what you think of the mics.

geraci89 ... Please give the C4s a couple of good tests, then re-visit this thread and let us know what you think of the mics.

For sure, I'll post clips on how the sound over the kit. Im afraid of acoustics though..Im in an unfinished basement:(

Back