Rode Nt-5 vs. Oktava Mk-012?

audiogeography

I'm currently in the market for a matched pair of SDC's and I've narrowed my search down to these two microphones; they will primarily be used as drum overheads. I've been using a pair of MXL 603s' for the past year or so and would really like to upgrade. I was just wondering what the common consensus was regarding both of these microphones and wouldn't mind any other recommendations as well. Thanks!

Unfortunately I haven't heard any of these models, but I do know that the highly regarded Mr. Harvey Gerst feels that the MXL 603 sounds almost identical to the Oktavas, so that wouldn't seem to be that much of an upgrade.

The 603s sounded (past tense) close to the Oktava. The current 603s are not the same as the ones Harvey tested. They haven't been for years and now they are even more cheaply made.

The 603s sounded (past tense) close to the Oktava. The current 603s are not the same as the ones Harvey tested. They haven't been for years and now they are even more cheaply made.

Really? Damn, that sucks!!! Especially because they still have his review on the 603-page on their website.

The clips I've heard of the 603 sound nothing like the MK-012. The highs are brittle and the low end is almost nonexistent, while the 012s have neither of those problems.

I have no experience with the NT-5 or the MK-012 but judging from what I have read, I'd say your better off with the Oktava's. It seems like more peaple try to unload those NT-5s than the MK-012s.
Of course having not heard either of them I not really qualified to say one way or another I'm just trying to keep this thread from turning into a 603 disscussion:D

Yeah, it's wild how a mic can develop a reputation, and then things change. You won't be disappointed with the Oktavas, but they developed their reputation for being an incredible bargain when they were available new for dirt cheap. These days, if you want to go out and buy a pair, they're not all that cheap (although still probably worth it).

The 603's we all bought recently from Musician's Friend were definitely cheap, but sounded pretty bad at first (at least mine did). A couple of capacitor changes made them a lot better, but still not as good as the Oktavas. At the price we paid, I'm very happy with them.

I don't have any Rode mics, so I shouldn't be posting either. I've never heard anything bad about [any Rode mic, really, or] the ones you mentioned.

I also like the Shure SM81 for this sort of stuff.

The 603 seems to be well liked for brightening up really mellow, dark sources like some acoustic guitars. A pair of MK-012s make great OHs. The 603s would probably be better with a recap, but it would take a lot more work to make them good for OH because of the lack of bass response, which I am told is more a characteristic of the capsule than anything else....

I've had both NT5 and 012... I like Rode mics (have a NTK) and think the NT5 were good and seemed well built. I didn't like them for OH and I like the 012 Very Much for OH. I sold the NT5 in search of better acoustic (guitar, cello violin ect...) mics. Bought some Peluso CEMC6... great detail, imo, and I also use them as my main OH too. More top end detail than the 012 but if I need or want to I can EQ it down a bit. I'd say if your in it for the long haul, save up a little more $$$ and get some Peluso Mics. I think I paid around $600 for the matched pair w/ SM and case. I doubt you'd be disappointed. Buy em used and sell em if they're not right for you.

In the mean time do the cap replacement on the 603 like antichef is mentioning. I herd the before and after... what a difference. I plan to do that w. mine as well.

Good Luck,
B.

Thanks a lot for the replies! I think I'm going to go with the Oktava's over the Rode's despite the $1-200 price difference for a matched pair. I still can't believe that they originally sold for $100 a piece at Guitar Center close to 3 years ago.!

I believe those MK-012s are some of the best mics around at any price. I use mine for OHs and acoustic strings with unbelievable results.

Mine were modded for another $100 but they were great even before I had them modded.

Without a doubt graba pair. You will NEVER regret those.

I still can't believe that they originally sold for $100 a piece at Guitar Center close to 3 years ago.!
They sold for a lot less than that. I got an alleged "pair" (which just meant "two units" in plain English) of them for $59.99 at one of the big sales, right before GC dumped the McKay Oktavas as more trouble than they were worth. They were actually pretty closely matched, which I attribute to nothing but blind coincidence. I also got some MK-319s for the same price, including cable.

Even these cheap, unmodified 012s are really great sounding microphones for stuff like acoustic guitar.

I think I got my Russian ones for $150 for the pair. Then another $100 for the Dorsey mod.

Best $250 I have spent in my studio to date.

I've owned both...

Oktavas...

I got mine somehow when they sold for about $130 each...
I bought four and sold two... i'm pissed i did such..

+1

Same experience here, at least with acoustic guitar.

I can't speak for the newer 603s, or on overheads, but I have an older one and also a MK012. They sound very similar. Harvey feels the same way. On acou guit the 603s is a little brighter but also can get a little boomy on bass if not placed properly. My acou guit, a Webber OM, is a relatively bright guitar.

I can't speak for the newer 603s, or on overheads, but I have an older one and also a MK012. They sound very similar. Harvey feels the same way. On acou guit the 603s is a little brighter but also can get a little boomy on bass if not placed properly. My acou guit, a Webber OM, is a relatively bright guitar.

The Oktava pair I have have the Dorsey mod, so perhaps that made the difference between the Oktavas and the 603S pair greater.

A little off topic but a couple weeks ago i used a pair of 603s's in x-y to record a practice and I was very surprised by how well they picked up the bass guitar and i was pretty pleased overall as well. for $30 each I think they perform surprisingly well.

Bear in mind that acoustic guitar is a lot easier on mics than overheads. On acoustic, if the mic lacks bass response (like the 603 capsule does), you just move it closer to get more proximity effect....

That doesn't work for drum overheads. You end up having to do lots of extra EQ work to get a good overall kit image from the Chinese condensers I've used (which I believe have similar response to the 603, but I don't own any 603s, so I can't say for sure). That also translates to having to do a lot more work EQing the close mics on kick and toms because they end up being more prominent in the mix. This also means that you have to have decent mics for the kick and toms, so there went all the money you saved on the overheads. :D

I'm sure you could probably get a decent sound out of the Chinese condensers, but you're going to end up spending a lot more work to get the sound you're looking for. With the 012s, in my experience, if you point and position them correctly, you get good kit balance without any extra work, and the amount of time saved is worth a lot to me. :)

Back