Robert Kennedy Jr. throws his hat in...

I was under the impression that vaccines were effective, a good thing. No?
All depends on your perspective and the media you accept as reliable. RFK has been a environmentalist against mercury in our water systems. He fought hard and still fights. All of our fresh water fish in the U.S. are contaminated by some amount of mercury. It is estimated that close to 20% are contaminated to levels that make them dangerous to consume...bummer. By doing so he got dragged into the vaccine debate by a bunch of people ( mostly women ) who pointed out that some of the vaccines parents are forced to let their children get have mercury in them...hmmm? There seems to be some validity to this ( though these days they are saying only the flu vaccines have it in them but that wasn't always the case). It is the belief of these anti-vax advocates that these forced vaccines have "possibly" caused some children neurological issues including but not limited to autism. :eek:

It wasn't by choice that he became the anti-vax poster child but he is now because of these advocates showing up at all of his lectures and speeches bugging him.

I like his pedigree. I like that he has the balls to put his life in jeopardy fighting with Big polluting corporations to try and clean up our waters. And for sure I believe if he could speak normally he would be a far better leader than several of the previous presidents including Biden and Trump. Sadly he can't speak normally and that alone ( I believe) knocks him out of the running. I'd like to be wrong ( based on the little I know about him) but that speech impediment is a big deal breaker.

Yeah - that's all fine and dandy and I generally don't disgaree. I don't know much about him and haven't paid any attention to his opinions on vaccines.

I was just making the point that, generally speaking, from a scientific/medical point of view - that vaccines, generally, have been shown to be effective are in fact a very good thing relative to not having them at all. So to put it simply: "he's anti vax - I like that about him" - just seems an odd position to take. I assume your opinion is probably more nuanced.

Reactions: TAE
I assume your opinion is probably more nuanced.
Yep I should have been more clear on my thoughts on the anti-vax subject.
The general vaccines that I got as a kid for sure did a ton more to help our society as a whole than hinder us.

I had an aunt who had polio and polio sucked

Personally I'm cool with these below that Cali requires...One of my daughters is not, one is cool with them.. Their kids, their business.

1681839819144.png

Starting with flu vaccines things have gotten a little sketchy.

I had my first flu vaccine @ 1974 Now I was sick with the flu when I got it, the Doctor knew I had the flu and gave the injection anyway.
I guess in later years they found this is not a good idea. I got up after the injection and my ears started buzzing and I passed out.
The Doc and team freaked out. Had me just hang with them even though it was closing time until I felt confident I was OK and could drive myself home.
Damn, 3 days later I woke up with half my face paralyzed...SHIT! I was 23 not a great look for a rock star. The doctors called it bells palsy but it is very unusual for a person of my age to get it...Took about 3 month for me to regain about 90+ % of my facial movement back...
Was it the vaccine? Was it the fact that I had been bit by a tick a day after the injection?...don't know No mo flu vaccines and no mo tick bites is what I'm saying.

When I said anti-vax I was speaking of the Covid vaccine which as I have stated previously I feel IS NOT a vaccine but an immune booster that is delivered via the very new and uncharted MRNA method. The dude that holds the patent on the MRNA was totally against it being used on kids under 12 because the unknown possible risk to reward didn't merit it...."risk" what are these unknown "risk" ...Well there is a ton of speculation and claims but we really just don't know for sure as of yet... We do know it does not in any way prevent us from getting Covid. It just "possibly" makes it less intensive / serious. Maybe, maybe not...Some being forced to get the jab to keep their jobs was 1984 Orwellian in nature and definitely not something I supported.

I

Somehow I don't think anti-vax and Democrat go together.
That's probably a fairly correct assumption.....
If it is true though, it demonstrates, at least for me, one of the crushing weaknesses of political parties.
Wasn't there ever a time when the main parties were more along the lines of broad coalitions whose members and voters held a range of views, rather than single-thought production lines where everybody had to think exactly the same thing ?
I wouldn't mind betting that you'd actually find tons of people that would vote Democrat that would be against the Covid vaccine. I suspect there is more crossover between what people who vote oppositionally in elections really think about certain high profile, controversial subjects than most media outlets care to report.

That's probably a fairly correct assumption.....
If it is true though, it demonstrates, at least for me, one of the crushing weaknesses of political parties.
Wasn't there ever a time when the main parties were more along the lines of broad coalitions whose members and voters held a range of views, rather than single-thought production lines where everybody had to think exactly the same thing ?
I wouldn't mind betting that you'd actually find tons of people that would vote Democrat that would be against the Covid vaccine. I suspect there is more crossover between what people who vote oppositionally in elections really think about certain high profile, controversial subjects than most media outlets care to report.
Political parties used to agree on the goal, but disagree on the means.
Now they also disagree on the goal.
The result? ...well there you have it.

I'd like to hear 1 thing the American parties agree on.
Take it as a mental exercise :)
I'm not sure I understand. Were/are you not aware that there is a shit ton of "things" that overwhelming majorities of constituents and lawmakers from both the major parties agree on. How could you not know this? Unless you are kidding.

I'm not sure I understand. Were/are you not aware that there is a shit ton of "things" that overwhelming majorities of constituents and lawmakers from both the major parties agree on. How could you not know this? Unless you are kidding.
Mostly kiddin', actually.
Leaving Afghanistan.
Working with the British government.
And one that's long surprised me, digging the Royal family.
Thx to Meghan Markle for that huh.
Leslie Van Houten and the paroling of currently incarcerated former members of the Manson Family.
Marilyn Manson -- you a fan? 😝
You asked for one thing. I've given you 4.
Good on you hahaha!

I saw an article last week concerning his possible run. The article suggested it that his candidacy would be the final insult to the family name.
You can insult the family name of Kennedy? That's all been taken care before R Kennedy Jr.

You can insult the family name of Kennedy? That's all been taken care before R Kennedy Jr.
I did NOT insult the Kennedy family name! I mentioned that I had
read an article suggesting it that his candidacy would be the final insult to the family name.
You quoted me. Read it again.

I think Papa was asking a rhetorical question and using your quote as a jumping-off point to make his own point about the Kennedys.
Oh! I misunderstood. A rhetorical question you say? I understand. Unfortunately, he missed the jump off point and failed to make his own point, whatever his point may have been.

Back