Rickenbacker 325

groovyisland

hay wasa
i want one!!! i think the short scale would be fun.

Attachments

• DV016_Jpg_Large_513663_084_jetglo.jpg
    DV016_Jpg_Large_513663_084_jetglo.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 82
I've got a very good copy of this and it plays lovely yer the short scale catches you out sometimes, well thats my excuse anyway.
I've found it of not much use in recording so far as most of the sounds are quite dark.
it can take a while to get differant tones as well.

Riks are a lot like Les Pauls, Strats, and Teles in that they have such an individual voice. Theres nothing that sounds like em.

I've always considered the 325 to be a cheaper style of guitar. Now note I don't even play guitar at all, but considering Lennon picked one up way early on, when The Beatles were still struggling, implies that it was an average guitar at best. Not top of the line like the Strats and Gibsons at the time, but not cheap crap like he was playing. McCartney was the same way, with his Hofner bass. It was an inexpensive bass that was half-decent, but it was no Jazz Bass.

Those instruments have entered into the hall of fame because The Beatles played on them early on and made hit records with them, not because they're fantastic instruments in their own right. THere's nothing wrong with that, but now Rick and Hofner are selling re-issues worth thousands of dollars......because they can. And people will buy them.

Riks are a lot like Les Pauls, Strats, and Teles in that they have such an individual voice. Theres nothing that sounds like em.

I agree that they have the same iconic status, but that's where the similarity ends, unlike Fender and Gibson, they are style over content, one fender is very like another, you would be lucky if you pick up a good quality Rick.
They are the Harleys of the guitar world, it's what someone would buy if they want a fashion accessory rather than a tool to go to work with.

Buy a cheap copy they have better QC

I agree that they have the same iconic status, but that's where the similarity ends, unlike Fender and Gibson, they are style over content, one fender is very like another, you would be lucky if you pick up a good quality Rick.
They are the Harleys of the guitar world, it's what someone would buy if they want a fashion accessory rather than a tool to go to work with.

Buy a cheap copy they have better QC

My point was more about the sound rather than the stylized artist flourish. And the water-color paint jobs....They are hit and miss for sure and way over-priced these days. I've owned a 4001 bass and a 360-12. They were awkward to get used to but at the same time impossible to duplicate with anything else.

I ride my Harley to work.

If you're on the market for a 325 remember there's two kind of pickups for the 300-series.
The toasters which is the old style pickups used by The Beatles, The Byrds and The Who, then there's the high-gains which replaced the toasters in 1969. They sound similar and will still make you jangle but are more bassy.
Both is single coils. Soundwise Ricks has similarities to Vox guitars or Jazzmaster but with their own unique voice.

Ricks are quality guitars; I bought a second hand '98 330 last year and it's a great sounding, versatile and solid guitar. I'm rehearsing, gigging and recording on a regular basis and it havn't failed me yet - and it can takes a good beating too. Tuning wise it's more sensible to changes in temperature than my Jazzmaster or Danelectro but that's the only flaw I can possibly think of.

For those saying that Ricks is only on the market because of The Beatles: Don't forget that Ricks was also used by The Smiths, Slowdive, REM, Spacemen 3, Brian Jonestown Massacre, etc.
I never played a guitar I liked more - despite that the neck is narrow and I got long fingers I find it very easy to play.

Don't forget that we are here talking about an instrument with it's own look, feel and sound. Not so bad for about 500 bucks in a market where all the production trend to look, feel and sound the same....

i want one!!!

Me too...but I prefer the V59 version:
rickenbacker_325v59blacklennon_005.jpg

Back