Replacing faders on a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24

smsayre65

Hello,
I searched through countless threads and couldnt find anything on Soundcraft Studio 24 fader replacement. My master fader shaft completely broke. As a result, I was going to replace all the faders while I have it apart. Has anyone ever replaced Soundcraft Studio faders? Do they unplug from a pcb type deal or must they be soldered? Any advice and/or info will be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks much!!
Steve

I've not worked on the Spirit Studio 24 but I've changed the odd fader on the Spirit Live series which I guess would be similar. If they are, it's a solder job. The actual soldering is a piece of cake compared to dis-assembling the mixer to get inside and access the faders.

The actual soldering is a piece of cake compared to dis-assembling the mixer to get inside and access the faders.

^^^^ this ^^^^^

Often the hardest part of very many repairs jobs is simply getting access to where you need to work.

Could be worth checking the price of faders before committing to a whole desk's worth...

Is the brand of fader known?

Hey guys
Thanks for responding! @PRHunt; VERY good advice. Thats a helluva lot of work to replace them all not to mention the price. I believe they are ALPS but they are not marked. I have to replace the master fader as its toast. It has a sticker on the bottom that reads "10k AX2" and "208E" below it. people say that Soundcraft is helpful. With me, not so much. I keep getting transferred all around to various jack-asses that say "Thats an old board". Noooo, really??? So, I guess Im on my own. There are alot of different type faders out there. This is a straight shaft (non t-bar type) 10k stereo master fader. This is where I need help: which one? There are TONS of fader types, haha! Also, I want to get a brand new board and I need 24 tape sends and returns. The Ghost wouldve been perfect. They dont make it anymore. Missed the bus....All I have to choose from now is lame-o digi crappola with no send and returns as everyone seems to bus mix to pro tools now. Not me. It's not the future. I have an HD24 and I need a NEW analogue board that has 24 send/returns for linear recording. Do they exist anymore? Any suggestions? Thanks so much and you guys RULE!!!
Steve

Wow!!! Thanks so much arcaxis!!! :thumbs up: This appears to be the correct fader. The Panasonic is the best price. I'm going to check compatibility before I pull the trigger on the purchase though. Digi-key is in the US so postage wont kill me either. $2.80. I'm ok with THAT.

From what I've seen, ALPS will be kinder to the wallet! I saw Penny and Giles conductive plastic faders going at £25-£35 from a UK company.

I believe the faders were 100mm throw though (but this is from hazy memories so apologies if I'm wrong).

Hmmmmm, I think Bobbsy may be correct. According to a Soundcraft parts list, the faders are listed as "100mm LOG. Master fader part # DD0367" Now if only to decipher the Soundcraft part number DD0367....were there 2 fader sizes used? Maybe the older model console had 60mm and the newer 100mm?

AFAIK they were all 100mm faders, though the master was a stereo fader while the others are mono.

At this point I'd probably be calling Soundcraft. You can count me as another one who's always had good luck with their support people (even on old, discontinued models).

Hey guys
The top one is too large. I guess theyre "low-profile" type? The ebay link looks like the fader. Sucks the guy sold his last ones a year ago....I have calls in to Harman/Soundcraft USA. No luck. They dont seem to care. Today, while perusing various forums to sell crap and run PR, I hope Harman corporate spies see this: Dear sirs, have Frank Rodriguez answer his go#$#mn phone and/or returns customer calls in the parts department at Soundcraft USA. I know I dont have a $35,000 console, but, SALES ARE SALES. Thats no way to run a business. @ Bobbsy: Are you dealing w/ Soundcraft UK? Maybe I should call the UK branch. USA absolutely blows.....Anywho, I wonder if I could retrofit a newer style fader with a t-bar? there appears to be plenty of room in there for the larger faders? For the record, you guys are great and your help is invaluable! Everyone enjoy their weekend!!! :)
Steve

Here's some pics of the master fader. It's marked "ALPS 10KAX2 208E". Any suggestions for replacement, retrofit, etc would be awesome and much appreciated!! Thanks again arcaxis, I'll hit the ALPS folks up and see if they can help me out. The Soundcraft part # is DD0367 which may or may not help the ALPS folks cross-reference a replacement. Only one way to find out....100_2425.JPG100_2426.JPG100_2429.JPG100_2431.JPG

Hey guys
@ Bobbsy: Are you dealing w/ Soundcraft UK? Maybe I should call the UK branch. USA absolutely blows.....Anywho, I wonder if I could retrofit a newer style fader with a t-bar? there appears to be plenty of room in there for the larger faders? For the record, you guys are great and your help is invaluable! Everyone enjoy their weekend!!! :)
Steve

Yeah. I lived in the UK until I retired to Aus a few years ago. I had many an occasion to phone Soundcraft's tech support and always found them really good. Maybe it would be worth investing in a bit of Skype credit and phoning the UK--their numbers are HERE.

Thanks so much guys!! @Bobbsy: Outstanding idea to use skype and call Soundcraft UK for help in cross-referencing their part numbers, etc. Thanks for the numbers. I am doing that Monday. @arcaxis: Also an outstanding idea to check dimensions, pins, etc. on the digikey replacement options. Looking at the datasheets, it looks like there are the 3 candidates listed that may work. One i'm sure will. Buying a couple wouldnt hurt. I really think a newer t-bar type will work as well if I cant get an old type. Just need the new fader cap. Soundcraft parts list shows a "100 mm new t-bar style part # DD0363" as a new replacement. I have a pdf of their Studio and Auto parts list if anyone ever needs it, pm me and I'll send it out to folks asap so future thread seekers wont go through what I'm going through.....I'll post my progress as well so as to finish out this thread so others may benefit from the complete run down, beginning to end. FYI: the Spirit Studio 24 is really easy to dismantle. Thanks again for everything you all :thumbs up:
Steve

ever find the replacement faders? i have a studio 16 and need to replace one of the mono faders (the one on channel 16). i'd love to hear if you were able to track down a part. thanks :)

-tapeface

Back